Armageddon Player Tools and Utilities

Started by James de Monet, March 20, 2014, 01:33:01 AM

Quote from: Beethoven on August 19, 2014, 08:24:08 AM
Isn't it just as bad to have the headless body of the blah-haired man?

Yes.

Quote from: Maker on August 19, 2014, 08:54:55 AM
Never understood why it doesn't just say "a decapitated body," or some such. 
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

August 19, 2014, 05:21:48 PM #26 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:24:29 PM by James de Monet
Quote from: valeria on August 14, 2014, 08:22:09 PM
If you'd like a word list for your sdesc generator, let me know.

Man, there is some really great stuff in that file. So good that I feel bad stealing ones that were clearly inspired, and only have 1 appearance.

Alright, I need some input on this. I made a poll for it.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I like full sdesc beheaded corpses, even if it can get awkward at times. If you find the body of the notorious dick-tattooed bandit, I think you want to be sure you've found the body of the notorious dick-tattooed bandit.

Hey James de Monet, I love your limited char text editor! Just wanted to let you know that if you go over the character limit, it gives you a nasty-looking code error. Maybe you could put in a warning that you've gone over the allotted amount of characters, or cut it off, or whatever it is you intended, but as it stands I could see someone not figuring out what happened when they get redirected to a scary error page.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I noticed some weird behavior on my end, but it just refused to limit the length, it didn't pop up an unhandled exception.  I assume you mean the web based version? I wonder if it's browser dependent.

I'll take a look at it.  I have a couple fixes to make in the tutorial, too (like the error that appears if you try to enter blank text).

Lemme know if you guys see anything else!
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

August 25, 2014, 03:05:37 PM #30 Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:07:13 PM by James de Monet
Okay, I implemented a couple of fixes:

• Corrected the video in the tutorial to refer to the correct side of the screen
  • Added some more highlighting to the tutorial videos for new player clarity
  • Fixed the blank text entry bug in the tutorial
  • Made the max page length feature in the text editor truncate correctly
  • Added a ton of descriptive words to the sDesc generator
  • Added a "force term agreement" box to the sDesc generator (not using it will allow you to see certain terms more frequently, but you might get 'the scrawny, huge-breasted male dwarf' for example)

Beethoven, I hope this will fix the problem you were seeing. Lemme know!

I would also like to point out that due to Valeria's diligence in tracking all of your lexical creativity, I was able to increase the number of raw descriptive words from 300 some to 700 some, which gives us an increase of total adjective terms from 4800 to 8000, for a final increase in possible unique sDescs from 91 million to 449 million!  8)

Also, although the poll seemed to find that recycling any sDesc term was fine, I steered away from those that seemed hyper-memorable (there weren't a ton), along with some that seemed a leetle too subjective, even if they did somehow slip through once before.

Finally, you may note that the generator doesn't currently produce any sDescs terms for facial hair. It didn't fit cleanly into the current algorithm, but maybe in the next update. We'll see.

Enjoy!

(P.S. Staff, if you see any terms in the generator that you would rather not see propagated IG, lemme know and I can take them out! There are a couple that are borderline, IMO, but they've been seen frequently enough to suggest acceptability.)

Heh, neat.

You've got a lot of banned sdesc words in there, though:
breed
stump
lass
brute
giantess
lad

I would also consider that not every sdesc must contain two descriptive elements.

August 25, 2014, 03:54:39 PM #33 Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:02:42 PM by James de Monet
Good eye. I don't even remember putting lad and lass in there. But giantess is banned? And breed? When did that happen?

There goes my dream of having "the effeminate, stumpy stump".

And yeah, true about having two adjectives. The generator will occasionally only give one if if can't find a second match based on your choices, but I didn't see any reason to generate them with one intentionally. After all, you can just pick one if you see one word you like. Or mix and match. It's really more just to give you ideas. Would you prefer it it gave one adjective descs sometimes (or three if they could fit)?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the "sDes words" helpfile. Man, that thing was kinda buried. Cool. Some in there I haven't implemented to balance out the ones I have to remove.

I would just give it like a 10% chance for a one-quality sdesc or something, that's about the frequency you see in game.

Might also want to try the "The <noun> with the <adjective> <eyes/hair/something>", as it comes up somewhat frequently (though personally I don't think it reads well).

Here's the banned sdesc word list: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Sdesc%20Words

Heh, you ninja'd me. Yeah, a percent chance could work.

Although, looking at the file, the noun in the generator was actually "half-giantess" not "giantess". I wonder if that counts...  Hmm.

Dunno, though considering "elfess" is forbidden I suspect the "ess" suffix is the problem.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on August 25, 2014, 04:08:18 PM
Dunno, though considering "elfess" is forbidden I suspect the "ess" suffix is the problem.

Salient point. I took those words out of the generator, and added some from the "definitely okay" list.

That word list is interesting.  I've seen 14 PC lasses and 3 PC lads in game, including some recently.  As well as a -giantess.  I suspect the word list is not very well enforced.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on August 26, 2014, 06:46:08 PM
That word list is interesting.  I've seen 14 PC lasses and 3 PC lads in game, including some recently.  As well as a -giantess.  I suspect the word list is not very well enforced.

When SDESCs are approved with 'rainbow' in them, no, not very well enforced. Nice tool though, JDM.

- Symph

Quote from: musashi on May 27, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
No no you see, by date Ghost means "chased his wife around the house with his penis till she cried".

Quote from: Symphony on August 28, 2014, 04:56:42 PM
Quote from: valeria on August 26, 2014, 06:46:08 PM
That word list is interesting.  I've seen 14 PC lasses and 3 PC lads in game, including some recently.  As well as a -giantess.  I suspect the word list is not very well enforced.

When SDESCs are approved with 'rainbow' in them, no, not very well enforced. Nice tool though, JDM.

There's nothing wrong with the word 'rainbow' in an sdesc/mdesc. It's the same reason we'd allow terms like 'steely-eyed' or 'icy blue'. There's a difference between a thing existing in Zalanthas and being a suitable term for IC speech, and a thing existing in the English language, which is the medium we use to interact with the game and each other and describe things.

Now, where it gets tricky is where something exists in both Earth and Zalanthas, but is different between the two; for example, the sky. Is the correct term 'sky blue', or 'sky red'? Here I think we typically defer to the Zalanthan definition to keep up a greater sense of immersion inside the game. I typically edit measurements in descriptions from feet/yards/meters and kilograms to cords and ten-stones, for the same reason.

Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on August 28, 2014, 05:42:43 PM
Now, where it gets tricky is where something exists in both Earth and Zalanthas, but is different between the two; for example, the sky. Is the correct term 'sky blue', or 'sky red'?

Tangent: I love "sky red" so much. I love every item that is desced that way, and I love PCs with "sky-haired" or whatever in their sdescs. I think it's the juxtaposition, the shattered expectation of what color the sky is that's inherent in the term, that makes it so immersive. I wish there were more terms like it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on August 28, 2014, 05:48:47 PM
Tangent: I love "sky red" so much. I love every item that is desced that way, and I love PCs with "sky-haired" or whatever in their sdescs. I think it's the juxtaposition, the shattered expectation of what color the sky is that's inherent in the term, that makes it so immersive. I wish there were more terms like it.

One could argue that "earth-toned" in Zalanthas would actually mean the color of sand, since brown soil is far less common of a ground covering. Could probably also work "sea-grey" as opposed to earth's "sea-green".  Maybe also "wine-blue" for things like kalan wine.

Quote from: James de Monet on August 28, 2014, 06:33:36 PM
Could probably also work "sea-grey" as opposed to earth's "sea-green".  Maybe also "wine-blue" for things like kalan wine.

I love those! Make it happen.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

How the heck do you translate zalanthan time to real time? Say you want to know when in real time a certain zalanthan date will be?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

June 30, 2017, 08:50:06 PM #45 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:59:32 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Wow i've always been doing time conversion math in my head. Meta breaking

This is amazing! Thank you!
I ruin immershunz.

James, my newest lappy doesn't like the zipfile. Do you have anything else?