Armor and Dreams

Started by senseofeven, February 11, 2014, 10:06:57 PM

Would wearing 'less' armor make you die faster in the game?

Could you like just wearing a shoulder plate, a helm, a neckguard, loincloth, bracers and boots like a boss gladiator and still wreck most dangers in the game world?

OR is it you have to be wearing something on ALL body slots just to maximize your character's survival rate?

Cause I would so love to wear lesser armor and pretend to be a valkyrie.

Let me open by saying that I am not the expert in this matter at all.

Having stated that, it should be less about what your character WOULD survive longer in and more about what your character would THINK they would survive in.

From a stats perspective, there are skills that can fill the role armor does well if high enough. Not to mention natural resilience and such.
Part-Time Internets Lady

I'm pretty much a newb myself
But there are two factors here.
More armor = better protection in combat
So yes, in combat more armor = safer

Yet,
Wearing all black leather and heavy bone/chitin plates in 130 degree weather, during a harsh sand storm, while trying to support your other survival gear (Tent, water, food, supplies, etc).
(think encumbrance)

Well no amount of Armor protects you from the mighty Krath, the killer of all.

Really it depends on your character, how you play them, who they are, what they do for a living.

"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Meh. Armor can help, if you find yourself in situation where 10-20 hp can make a difference. Or if you're sparring and want more training time. Otherwise? It behaves like you would expect it to. The chitin and bone and leather can negate a little some damage from a bone sword, sure, but if a Mekillot bites your leg, expect to feel like you're wearing no armor at all.

Just doooooo it, safety be damned!

Welcome to Armageddon.  :)

Armor encumbers you which means, depending how heavy it is, you will start to notice a very real effect on many of your combat skills. Specifically? Can't tell you. What I can say is, the more weight you carry, the worse you perform in battle. It's a trade-off between safety and thick chitin versus mobility and speed.

A highly skilled warrior will kick ass fighting in the nude and wielding a spoon, and they will look like an insane badass doing it.

Likewise equipped, a noob warrior will look like an idiot. They will be ridiculed, and no one will be surprised when they get killed.

Wear armor. Don't wear so much that it becomes a burden.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Safer you may be... but!

Style is always important. Style might be even more important. Least I think so.
What your character would wear is vastly more important than what you statistically should wear. For even if you die, at least you did it in style, and its that that creates the memorable characters.

After all... The newb that faught a met in full armor no one will remember. But one who did it bareass covered in butter with a shovel will live forever as a legend.

I'm also for style over function. Your character will die either way.

Quote from: Yummri on February 12, 2014, 12:20:31 AM
After all... The newb that faught a met in full armor no one will remember. But one who did it bareass covered in butter with a shovel will live forever as a legend.

Well said.   :D
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

February 12, 2014, 04:41:04 PM #11 Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:43:20 PM by Desertman
Just leaving this here....

Also, agility trumps armor, and almost everything else...all day long....

If you want to go no armor, I recommend playing a child or a warrior (or both), and almost certainly prioritizing agility.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

For you newer players out there who never had the privilege of experiencing the awesomeness of Gage Fucking Gritshaw, he was one of the best examples of a Zalanthan mercenary that ever was (in my humble opinion).  Of note for this thread, he was famous for wearing only a loincloth (later a codpiece) and boots and still kicking ass and chewing bubblegum all over the sands.
That was what, like six or seven years ago, now? Wow.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Nah, four, I think.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Haha. Thanks for the posts everyone. I certainly do like style and yes, I will work towards a PC with less armor.

However just a question about stats. Let's say I did not prioritize the agility first. Is there a way to like get the order changed up and stats rolled accordingly?

Quote from: senseofeven on February 11, 2014, 10:06:57 PM
Would wearing 'less' armor make you die faster in the game?

Could you like just wearing a shoulder plate, a helm, a neckguard, loincloth, bracers and boots like a boss gladiator and still wreck most dangers in the game world?

OR is it you have to be wearing something on ALL body slots just to maximize your character's survival rate?

Cause I would so love to wear lesser armor and pretend to be a valkyrie.

There is not an overall AC point system in armageddon. Each piece of armor protects where you wear it on.
So, if you are wearing silt-horror shell armor everywhere except one small area, i.e. left wrist. And if you get hit on your wrist, you will receive the full amount of damage.
Rest of your body will be protected, depending on the quality of armor (among other things)

Also it's a good idea to keep in mind your area's fighting style, if you're from a city.  Different cities have different thoughts about how much armor is good armor.

Not that you can't or shouldn't play a lightly armored warrior from Tuluk, it'd just be less likely generally.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: senseofeven on February 13, 2014, 07:30:44 AM
Haha. Thanks for the posts everyone. I certainly do like style and yes, I will work towards a PC with less armor.

However just a question about stats. Let's say I did not prioritize the agility first. Is there a way to like get the order changed up and stats rolled accordingly?

Before submitting, yes. After that, no.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 13, 2014, 05:22:37 AM
Nah, four, I think.

Ah, for some reason I was thinking it was around the time I started playing, guess it was more like when I first started not being a H&S twink. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 13, 2014, 11:35:49 AM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 13, 2014, 05:22:37 AM
Nah, four, I think.

Ah, for some reason I was thinking it was around the time I started playing, guess it was more like when I first started not being a H&S twink. :D

A little over six years actually.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

>em sticks his tongue out at 7DV.  Then he runs.... fast.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Just a bit on the whole Gage Gritshaw/running around naked thing for newbies and veterans alike.  To me, someone like this would be the biggest pile of immersion breaking crap I've ever seen.  No offense to the player, but, if you didn't wish up and asked to be heat stroked and sunbaked dead in a few hours of running around in the harshest desert environment we can imagine, well,  you did poorly.  And so did staff for not doing it to you.

Exposure kills in the desert.  Even if you have little to no armor, you will most definitely want head to toe clothing.  And yes, all those delves who run around with next to nothing on all the time fill me with a similar disappointment.  Its one thing for someone in a city to move from shade point to shade point with skin revealed, but if you're spending a day+ in the wastes half naked or 90% naked, you're dead.

As for the armor part itself:  new players will find it advantageous to wear as much armor as is reasonable by noting what their messaging says with the 'stat' command.  And if you want to wear little or no armor, wear little to no armor!  Just make sure you've clothes on.

Wearing loads of thick black armor is equally ridiculous but happens way, way more frequent. Zalanthans can take some sun and heat like nobody else.

Quote from: Kryos on February 13, 2014, 02:51:31 PM
Just a bit on the whole Gage Gritshaw/running around naked thing for newbies and veterans alike.  To me, someone like this would be the biggest pile of immersion breaking crap I've ever seen.  No offense to the player, but, if you didn't wish up and asked to be heat stroked and sunbaked dead in a few hours of running around in the harshest desert environment we can imagine, well,  you did poorly.  And so did staff for not doing it to you.

Exposure kills in the desert.  Even if you have little to no armor, you will most definitely want head to toe clothing.  And yes, all those delves who run around with next to nothing on all the time fill me with a similar disappointment.  Its one thing for someone in a city to move from shade point to shade point with skin revealed, but if you're spending a day+ in the wastes half naked or 90% naked, you're dead.

As for the armor part itself:  new players will find it advantageous to wear as much armor as is reasonable by noting what their messaging says with the 'stat' command.  And if you want to wear little or no armor, wear little to no armor!  Just make sure you've clothes on.

Have you done the calculations necessary to ensure this prediction remains accurate under a red sun?

Anyone know of any kryptonian studies on heat stroke and exposure?

Meh, a little un-realism doesn't bother me if the game seems better for it. In the case of scantly clad badasses, I say go for it.