Red Storm Family Role Call!

Started by Yousuff, February 06, 2014, 05:22:16 PM

February 06, 2014, 05:22:16 PM Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:34:41 PM by Yousuff
In the market for two other players for a Red Storm Family! Here's what I had in mind
Two human siblings, living in Red Storm. Greb spice for a living, maybe when they've enough money they could branch out and buy a silt skimmer. However! There's a third family member, the bastard child of these two sibling's uncle, a half elf. Simple scenario of uncle runs off with elven mate, leaving resulting offspring stranded. So, for this role call, I'll need one person for the role of a human sibling (gender not important) who both grudgingly accept their half elf cousin into their company, who'll also be played by another one of you fine folks :) Send in an app under the role call, using the request tool. Here's the reference number, it should be mentioned in your request; 51046. Thanks!  :-*

***(Edit) It's probably best you send me a pm as to your concept first :) If it seems fine (I accept it), and there's still slots available, then send in your role call request. Sorry, this has only just been clarified with me :) ***

February 06, 2014, 06:21:17 PM #1 Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:23:33 PM by Large Hero
When you make rolecalls like this, it's best to be vague in the post, and reveal more via private communication with applicants.

With what you've revealed, much will be obvious to those who've read this post and meet your characters.

This is better: "Rolecall for a 30-40 human male with a combat background to be the brother to a 20-30 half-elf female."

This is not as good: "Rolecall for a 30-40 human male who used to be in the Byn but was kicked out. His goal is to steal enough to afford a silt skimmer. He doesn't really like his half-elf sister but tolerates her anyway. She resents his treatment of her."

That stuff you can reveal in private communication.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Personally, I don't think this role call is that revealing at all. Leave it to staff to crack down on that kind of stuff.

I think perhaps the OP doesn't understand the function of the role-call request tool system. That's for role-calls that are requested by staff, not by players. The OP would have no way of fielding or choosing from applications sent via request tool. However, the OP would be required to submit -his- application via request tool, in order to get approval to recruit on the GDB for family members. In addition, the OP has stated that it doesn't matter whether the relative is male or female. This indicates to me that the OP hasn't yet submitted background information to the staff, as per the family role call rules.

Here are the rules:
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,42332.0.html
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Why do people only do Red Storm rolecalls when I have a role I don't want to store? :(
That being said, I am always for more Stormer PCs who are actually from Red Storm.  I think it is the epitome of what Armageddon advertises itself to be. Hard, hot, gritty, dry, deadly.

Best of luck to you, and remember: In Redstorm, moreso than anywhere else, bordom kills. Don't take chances your PC wouldn't and don't go out in storms unless not doing so would mean your death. Patience.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

February 07, 2014, 04:50:30 AM #5 Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:52:10 AM by Yousuff
Ah... Sorry, I thought I should provide some details to what exactly would be happening :( Silly mistake, no harm intended. Should I edit the first post and make it more vague? Or has the damage been done? Anyway, it kind of is a role-call, no? It's a family role call :) It goes under 'Role application', so technically yes, it is a roll call. Do send in something folks, It'll be good fun! Also Lizzie, yes, I have given staff a heads up on this and they said I'm good to go.

Ignore the spergy pedantry, Yousuff. If staff have any issues with your post, they'll let you know.

You rock for doing the Red Storm thing. Excelsior.

Red Storm, bitches! Where your sister is a secret magicker, your best friend is a militia deserter and your mom is both, ba dum tiss, escaped slave, worst weather,

MULS

MULS WITH POWER

PISS THEM OFF, CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT

I really do love Storm. Current levels of energy and a wacky playing pattern keep me from considering this.

Quote from: manonfire on February 07, 2014, 07:32:07 AM
Ignore the spergy pedantry, Yousuff. If staff have any issues with your post, they'll let you know.

This, a hundred times, this.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I think Red Storm is the epitome of Armageddon's advertised harsh setting, like FantasyWriter said.
Yeah, kudos to OP.

+1

I'm bad at this game, so I failed at my Red Storm role, but go and give those Red Stormers a run for their money!  (I'll be back, someday..)
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Someday I will play in a Red Storm family.  One of my fave areas of the game for sure. 

I do have a question for the OP about this particular post.  Is it normal for people to send in their applications for open family roles through the request tool now?  I know the "family starter" has to send in an initial request to get the "family" approved by staff - but then I thought the player handled selection from there through private messages.  But from what the OP says, it sounds like they want interested applicants to submit a role request with a reference number.  Does this mean staff handles family selections now, or does staff pass it off to the OP as a third party mediator?

I might be way off base or misunderstanding the original post.  I've never tried to start a family role, nor have I ever applied for one.  I read the rules a few times, but couldn't find any specific rules for applicants.  Some clarification would be awesome!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Just my two cents, when Ourla and I recruited family members, all I had to do was clear the family with staff via request tool.

When the family members we picked wrote up their characters and submitted them, they referenced the request number on their application so staffers were aware they were part of the family.

Quote from: manonfire on February 07, 2014, 07:09:47 PM
Just my two cents, when Ourla and I recruited family members, all I had to do was clear the family with staff via request tool.

When the family members we picked wrote up their characters and submitted them, they referenced the request number on their application so staffers were aware they were part of the family.

That reference number, as you say, would be used by the person *after* Youseff selects them to play his family member. It would be used in a normal regular in-game chargen character application.

Theoretically, now that everyone has access to that reference number, anyone can claim that Youseff has approved them to play his family member, and app the role, which Youseff no longer has any ability to approve or reject, because he has taken himself out of the application process completely.

It's not pedantic, it's the OP either not understanding how it works, or not expressing himself well. In either case, in case any new players (and there are a lot of them) are reading, here's how it's done:
1. If YOU want to *create* a family, you have to submit a request through the request tool.
2. Once the staff has given you the go-ahead, you can post on the GDB saying you're looking for a family.
3. The potential family player would then PM you, and you'd either approve or reject that player. If you approve it, you'd give them the reference number from *your* request tool request.
4. The player, approved by you (not the staff) would then submit a normal application through chargen, and mention that reference number in the character's initial background info.

That's what I figured, Lizzie - that's what has lined up with my experience in the past.

I have had a couple of helper questions asking about this post, that's why I wanted to clarify.  Someone actually submitted a character application for this role via the request tool because they thought that was what the original post was saying (and to be fair, that's what I thought it was saying also.)

Person I helped earlier (since I have no other way of contacting you), if you're reading this, you may want to cancel that request or make a note on it that it's in response to the Red Storm Family Role Call post on the gdb.  Include the link to this thread.

Are you sure? :( Here's what I was told. This is directly copied and pasted;
"Please have all prospective family members send in role application requests with their concepts, quoting the id number of this request: 51046"

I'm guessing there are either special circumstances, or the staffer who sent that made a mistake. Or possibly - the rules have changed, but were never updated on the website.

Quote from: Yousuff on February 08, 2014, 10:24:40 AM
Are you sure? :( Here's what I was told. This is directly copied and pasted;
"Please have all prospective family members send in role application requests with their concepts, quoting the id number of this request: 51046"

No, I'm not sure.  That's why I asked.

You didn't do anything wrong, OP, and I'm very sorry for derailing your thread.  I'm just trying to understand how staff would like the selection process to go.  From the response they gave you, it's possible they may have expected you to handle the selection process yourself, and then tell the people you selected to send in their application requests - but an equally valid interpretation of that statement is that staff will now select who plays what role in your family.  I guess at this point, clarification from staff would be helpful, both for you and for people who may want to make a family in the future.

edit: And yes, a rule update would be nice if something has changed.

Don't be sorry :) It's fine. I suppose that the way it was phrased is open to interpretation :P work things out through pms, then go back to staff or do it the way I thought they meant: just give people an id, a concept and tell them to fire away :( Sorry if I've interpreted this wrong...

Don't worry about it!  I asked the staff, so I'm sure someone will clarify this as soon as they have time.

I recently had a family role call. I don't know if I like the idea of staff picking for the person playing if that's the reason for this whole reference number thing. I'm glad you asked for clarification LauraMars. Thanks for that.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

We do not pick the players that are playing the role.
We do want the players that are playing the role to send in a role application if they're going into a family role with the role call in question and the person running it says that's cool.

That's about it, though.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on February 08, 2014, 01:19:29 PM
We do want the players that are playing the role to send in a role application if they're going into a family role with the role call in question and the person running it says that's cool.

That's about it, though.
So they need to give me a pm about their concept or whatever then?

Quote from: Yousuff on February 08, 2014, 01:29:47 PM
Quote from: Nyr on February 08, 2014, 01:19:29 PM

That's about it, though.
So they need to give me a pm about their concept or whatever then?

Typically you would put up a role call here, then ask people that are interested to PM you so you can send details about the role.  If you and they agree that they'd like to roll with it, they then put in the role app so staff note it.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Thanks for clarifying Nyr. I've edited the OP to reflect that! :D

No problem.  We can add some more details on the procedure afterwards so that if you happen to be new to the whole thing...you will know how it is usually done!

Hey guys,

Thought I might step in as I was the staff member who approved this family application:

I always request players have their prospective family members send in role applications as it makes it very easy for us to collect the accounts and PCs associated with a given family through the request tool.

In this case I didn't fully explain the process of how to post on the GDB to get more players - sorry Yousuff!

Question on this - it's not about this specific role, but it's about the process.

After sending a role request via the request tool, do we -also- go through chargen and actually create the character and put in a line like "pending role request approval" on the bio?

Or do we need to wait until the request is approved, and -then- submit the app in-game, and wait for the in-game app approval to play it?

And, if we need to wait, and then submit, is the role request something that'd take a matter of hours/days, or is it a low priority like a special app, or is it somewhere inbetween, like an extended subguild (matter of days to possibly a couple of weeks)?

No complaints about the process, just seeking clarification and what the players should (and should not) expect.

Hate bumping things, but just here to say this is still here! :)

Maybe you could tell us your playtimes?

Not that I think this should be too much of a concern if any... I had a family role once and I never even saw one of the other guys. Didn't mind it a bit.

Maybe you'll get lucky and X-D or someone else like that will take up a slot.

I am unable to send you a PM for some really odd reason. It says it can't find Yousuff as a member.

Like, you can't access their profile to send a PM? I just tried and could...
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Like I tried to send a PM and it won't let me send the PM to him.

Send them an email, then!
There is only one boog.

I've hit the weirdest bug or something... Whenever I try to log in, it says my account is awaiting 'Admin approval'  ??? Can't log in. Maybe send me it here? Hate making an alternate for this

Quote from: yousuff1 on February 14, 2014, 07:08:50 PM
I've hit the weirdest bug or something... Whenever I try to log in, it says my account is awaiting 'Admin approval'  ??? Can't log in. Maybe send me it here? Hate making an alternate for this

This can happen if an IP you log in from is ever flagged as spam.

Well that's a distinct possibility :) My IP address changes quite frequently. Oh well. I'll stick with this account for now. Any takers? Two people have pm'd me, expressing an interest but nothing came of it.

Quote from: yousuff1 on February 19, 2014, 05:27:20 PM
Well that's a distinct possibility :) My IP address changes quite frequently. Oh well. I'll stick with this account for now. Any takers? Two people have pm'd me, expressing an interest but nothing came of it.

Your IP address changing isn't an issue; your IP address being continually associated with a proxy that is used for spam IS an issue.  You'll keep getting removed from the GDB.

I would apply for this role if I could guarantee steady play times and if I didn't have something in mind already. Looks sweet. Hope someone fills it.

Sent an email expressing my interest with a concept outline since pm's weren't working.