Author Topic: Writing Group  (Read 18817 times)

Is Friday

Writing Group
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »
Hey guys. I realize that a boatload of us write in our spare time. Are some of you interested in participating in a writing group? I won't be available 'til May'ish, but I think giving you guys a heads up might give this more steam. And for some of us that want to get back into writing, this could be just the motivation!

Here's my general organizational idea:
- Meetings bi-weekly (once every two weeks) via Teamspeak if that's cool with the server owners. (If not, we can always use a free chatroom.)
- Group members present 2k words (or however much they can/want to up to that point.) Upload a doc for us to read over then you may choose (or not) to read it aloud. Reading aloud helps for a variety of reasons that those of us familiar with writing groups can speak on.
- Moderated by a designated Cool Guy so we stay on topic. I think if this picks up popularity we could do more than one group or mix/match genres as appropriate.

Format of meetings:

- Moderator role calls, inventories what we have to read. Some may prefer to read the night prior, an hour prior to the event, or whatever.
- Members provide constructive criticism for 2-3 minutes each, varying on the group size. Writer of the piece remains silent.

General "rules" of writing groups:
1.) Never ever ever ever ever ever try to defend your work during the criticism period, or after. If they don't understand something, or they don't like X, or you aren't getting the reaction you wanted--well either you're successful or not. Trying to convince people of "how great your work really is" will have a subduing effect on the criticism that person will give you thereafter. They won't want to be honest with you.
2.) Criticism is not telling someone how to write. Criticism is telling someone "this doesn't work for me", or "I got bored here". When writers try to please critics and use the voice "they should use because I totally do this"..... it stops being their vision. If you want to ask for specifics, do it in private, but generally not recommended.
3.) Don't take criticism personally. This is hard. But we can be grown ups.
4.) You need to give a shit about helping other people with their work, too--not just presenting your own.
5.) Always start with one positive thing, at least.

If you're interested please post what you are looking to write and have critiqued by the group. If you're a staff member and you're totally interested in being a mod, let me know. I figure it'll probably be BadSkeelz or one of his TeamSpeak cronies, though.

Let's get to writin!
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

boog

Re: Writing Group
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:31:28 PM »
I was just thinking about something like this the other night! Get outta my head!

I'm in. I was gonna suggest that we all write on a prompt or something, too. But!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 12:36:28 PM »
I'm in. Not a fan of teamspeak since I'm not always great at understanding voice chat, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
do you remember
when you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?

Is Friday

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
I was just thinking about something like this the other night! Get outta my head!

I'm in. I was gonna suggest that we all write on a prompt or something, too. But!
http://jcstrout.blogspot.com/

I try to put writing prompts into my blog posts. Soooooo, that sounds like a good idea, too! I was figuring at some point it'd be cool to actually post what I'm writing for my own prompts. That would make the blog a lot better.

But the writing group can totally be open to "whatever we're working on", be it novel or short stories, etc.
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

FantasyWriter

• Tales of Then--Reflections of Now
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 05:41:37 PM »
I'm game.
Greb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:00:41 PM »
I would be interested, though I'm not sure I can consistently maintain that kind of output.  It WOULD be good motivation though.

I'm with Delirium, in that I'd be more comfortable in a text/chatroom/something format rather than over Teamspeak.  Mostly because I'm more likely to forget spoken commentary and criticisms, but if it's written I can keep a log.  I'd still be interested if it was in a voice chat format, though, and understand that other people might like that better because of the reading aloud thing.

boog

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:59 PM »
The moderator could record the criticisms and stuff.

I think being on TS would be a good idea so we can hear inflections and not be offended if someone offers up something we think they might be being spiteful about or somesuch.

It's hard to read tone through text sometimes.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Pale Horse

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:18:17 AM »
I'd be game for this.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Kronibas

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:13 AM »
I'm down, but like Delirium, I'm not too savvy on the Teamspeaks.

In the past, we've had a forum opened for us here to write before.  It was fun, albeit short-lived.

Karma police, arrest this man...

Barzalene

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »
I'm back and forth.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

FantasyWriter

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
I'm incapable of reading out loud without sounding like third grader reading Shakespeare unless it's something that is semi-memorized. :(
Grebber - One who grebs.

Desertman

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
I always hate my writing.

But, my wife and I were talking a while back and she was telling me about a story on the Armageddon Original Submissions page. It has apparently always been her favorite story in the original submissions.

Interestingly enough, I wrote that story and submitted it when I was 15 years old under a different name I had at the time.

I think it sucks, but I'm my own harshest critic on anything I ever do. So I won't say which one it is.

Still, pretty funny that she was sitting there telling me about this story she really likes on the website, and it was written by a 15 year old me over ten years ago.
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
The young daughter has been filled.

boog

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 07:07:51 PM »
I sound like a moron ALL the time! Y'all need to get better reasons than 'I sound silly'!'

Only D has a legit reason, ya weenies. 8)
There is only one boog.

FantasyWriter

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »
It looks like February is going to be a very slow month for me. Do any of you guys have time to go ahead an jump at this?
Grebber - One who grebs.

FantasyWriter

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »
I'm shooting for 10,000 words today.
Wish me luck!!!
Grebber - One who grebs.

KankWhisperer

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »
I guess we aren't allowed to just listen?

MeTekillot

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:54:16 PM »
I want to do this.
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

Is Friday

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 03:27:32 AM »
I'll get to figuring this out soonish now that I'm back stateside. Standby. I should have something together by the first week of May--either a format or medium for us. Keep writin peeps.

boog

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »
That'd be perfect! School will be out by then so I'll have more free time.

Yay!
There is only one boog.

mattrious

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:43 PM »
I am totally into this. I think this could be a wonderful motivation for me to finish something that I started a long time ago.

Is Friday

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
Writing Group Meetup!!!Place - Teamspeak Chat! See applicable thread for details on how-to. We'll move it to a separate room, obviously.
Time - Sunday May 4, 1200 PST.
What - Bring some material you'd like us to read that is 3k or less words. Please post below and specific what genre/any pertinent info of what you've got. This will help me better time manage our run each session. We'll take turns in sharing, have everybody present read the material, then I'll moderate us going through selected questions that help guide the discussion. Criticisms/comments from each person will be kept to 2 minutes or less and should be organized from "most important" to "minor" and be constructive.

Rules of Conduct:
1.) Keep criticism helpful in nature. However, understand that criticism does not mean "provide a solution". Please do not do this. It is the author's job to figure out why something "doesn't work" or why you "don't understand this part", within reason. Offering sentence-level changes will alter the author's voice. That's a no-no.
2.) When your work is being critiqued and comments being made, it will be recommended that you REMAIN SILENT. Defending your work or explaining things should be done in the material and it should stand alone. If you defend your work, critics/helpers will be less likely to help you in the future.
3.) Remember to follow a 25/75 rule. Use 25% that you believe applies to your work and you agree with. Forget the other 75%.
4.) Be humble and thankful for someone else taking the time to give you comments, even if you don't agree.
5.) When giving comments and criticism, make sure to start with "the good". Tell them what works, too. What makes you excited about the work or makes it enjoyable?

Post your availability for this meetup and what you're bringing!

I'll be there and I'll be bringing my gritty fantasy novel's first scene.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:19:39 PM by Is Friday »

Kismetic

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »
I will be there, though, if I have to scratch because of a late contract, I'll let you know.  As for what I'm bringing, I'm not sure.  Some kind of standard fiction, I guess!
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

Narf

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
I'd like to participate. No microphone on this dinky little laptop though. Would it be considered disruptive if I just used written chat to communicate?

boog

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »
Eh. This isn't a good time for me. Hope you all enjoy!
There is only one boog.

Is Friday

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
I'd like to participate. No microphone on this dinky little laptop though. Would it be considered disruptive if I just used written chat to communicate?
That's fine!