A bit lost...

Started by OSOK, January 27, 2014, 09:11:35 AM

January 27, 2014, 09:11:35 AM Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:09:32 AM by OSOK
Hi All!  I've about 12 game hours and I'm a tad lost. I'm running into situations that, because of the RP aspect of the game, are hard to find solutions to.

I'm having issues with hunger.  I seem to always be hungry, and I don't know much I should be spending on food.  How many sids should be able to fill you up nicely from "a little hungry"?  I ask because I worry I'll have no sids left if I don't manage this properly.

Any help is greaty appreciated!

Exact prices could vary depending on the part of the world you're in, but some general rules of thumb apply:

It is a LOT more expensive to "eat out" than it is to prepare your own food.  If you're buying prepared meals at the taverns, you can expect to pay a lot more than you need to.  Instead, try looking for a grocer, butcher, baker, or other merchant that can sell you ingredients.  Many of the foods you can buy can be eaten without cooking, but you will save even more money if you learn to cook. (Although you can also burn a lot of ingredients when your cooking skill is low, so try to find an easy recipe to level it up with.  Travel cakes from flour is usually a a good one if flour is readily available.)

Try doing a bit of one of the coded jobs there are in the city-states: They net enough coin for food and water.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Jobs

You can also try begging, if you get really hungry. Also most of the clans and organizations in game offer free food if you join them.

Quote from: OSOK on January 27, 2014, 09:11:35 AM
Any would is greaty appreciated!

Don't eat "would" it just makes you hungrier... 

if there is a grocer in your city I'd suggest going there first before buying any of the food available at the bars.  If all else fails I'd say find another PC and haggle for food with them, somebody's gotta feed the masses!
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Thanks all!  As I was waiting for replies, I actually ran into a grocer and bought some raw stuff which I ate for a pretty good price.  It went to "not hungry" and within minutes back to "a little hungry" again.

I'll start making sids.  Thank you all for the replies! Will also look into cooking as well.

As a note, you can look at your 'score' and it will tell you your exact hunger level. Even when you are get the echo 'no longer hungry' you can keep eating until you're actually full.

That will keep those pesky echoes away for a little longer!

Same thing for thirst - you can keep drinking water until you can't drink any more.

Adding to what Delirium said, the code will stop you from over eatting and drinking, so you don't have to worry about wasing food.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Shop around for cheap food options.  Sure, a burned tuber might not be appetizing, but the shop's selling it for 3 coins.... pride is for the not starving.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Type 'directions' and look for places that, in your mind, would sell you raw food instead of already prepared food, much like in real life, raw unprepared food tends to be cheaper. Look for that place in the list given and go there.

That or look for the guy who's not wearing a House cloak, decked out in awesome items you've never seen before, chances are he's an indie hunter and has a billion raw meats in his pack that he's just willing to give away for nearly nothing :) *grins, ducks and runs off*
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

You are going about it all wrong. Go for the big return items.

Mekillots, there are a lot of steaks on a mekillot.  ;) (Do not do this, this is a joke.)

I do recommend finding your local grebber and asking them if they have any cheap food to sell you, possibly in bulk. I remember seeing a couple of food seller PC's in my time, and all of them seemed very "fun to be around and deal with."

Aside from that, they will probably be your best option for prices too.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Thanks all for the replies. 

Is there any difference, nutrition wise, between cooked and uncooked foods?

Also, I'll bring this up since it's related to the subject on this thread and it has come up a few times already:  I'm having a hard time meeting people..  First, I can't tell who's an NPC and who isnt.  Added to this, it's hard to find people in general.  I'm not sure if its because of my time zone (I doubt it since im EST and play mostly in the evening) or if it's because Z is really that unpopulated.  Any tips on that?

Cooked foods are generally more filling, and from an IC (In Character) perspective, they would be tastier and probably less likely to give you horrible stomach cramps. ;)

But if you're starving, you're starving.

On meeting people - usually taverns are your best bet.

Hang around taverns at nighttime and you'll find people usually.

Some, but not all, NPCs are described as "a" something, like "a large man" whereas PCs will always be "the" something, like "the large man". Some NPCs are "the something something" as well, but it's a handy way of telling at least some of the NPCs apart.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Not sure if anyone has said so far, but most clans, if not all, provide food and water for their members free of charge. But yeah, the grocer shops are good. You can also look for PC's who are good at foraging and try and arrange some kind of deal. Usually they will be happy to provide for you.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

A good way usually to tell if a person is a player iss they will actually look at you sometimes. That helps me a lot.

But yeah taverns are the best bet and it depends on what part of the world you are in. I would suggest trying to join one of the clans. It will solve your food problem and depending on the clan. Your rp problem to. Check the boards in taverns to see which clans are hiring or when you do find people ask them.

Clans are a great way to learn. I might of quit had I not joined a clan and got some really good help.

Im even having trouble finding recruiters!  Will stick to it though.  Thanks!!

I strongly recommend using the Helper Chat if you have more questions - we can also give you more specific advice that way. :)

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 27, 2014, 10:27:54 AM
Adding to what Delirium said, the code will stop you from over eatting and drinking, so you don't have to worry about wasing food.

Hmm I wonder at what point code stops you from eating too much:

sc
You are Somone.
Keywords: All kinds of good things
Sdesc: Just some PC
Objective:
Long Description:
Code Generated Long Description.
You are xx years, x months, and xx days old,
which by your race and appearance is something.
You are xx inches tall, and weigh x ten-stone.
Your strength is somthing, your agility is somthing,
  your wisdom is somthing, and your endurance is somthing.
You are stuffed and not thirsty.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

When you type >eat object and you get "You are too full to eat that!" or whatever the echo is.

Tasting and sipping still work if you are full/not thirsty.

QuoteIm even having trouble finding recruiters!  Will stick to it though.  Thanks!!

The boards in taverns will help with that.

In most taverns type <look board>
Then <read board #>

Hope that helps

Finding recruiters can be tricky at times,  even for peak players. Don't give up tho,  it can be worth the wait. It is probly better to join up with the ones you do manage to see regularly, but there won't be many in the smaller locations.

Welcome aboard though!
Death is only the beginning...

Quote from: Delirium on January 28, 2014, 12:02:10 AM
When you type >eat object and you get "You are too full to eat that!" or whatever the echo is.

Tasting and sipping still work if you are full/not thirsty.

Sorry Delirium I digressed it was meant as a joke. I'm wondering if taste will allow you to go until you are bloated or even explode. Might be an interesting experiment or a new character concept in the future. Eat until you die type thing, or eat yourself to death. Anyways...

To OP:

Eating until you are full will stop the echos for a while.
Many ways to get food, even if you are poor - Do what people do in RL to get food when they are poor, beg or get a job.
Good Luck and have fun.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

The most fun I've had was as a hapless beggar. Every now and then you'll meet one of those "Teach a person to fish" people (these people are your best friends). Make note of what they say and keep begging. Roll with the punches. Then, take all that knowledge, and twink up about 100k to throw in Nenyuk. Joking about the twinking, don't do that.

Though seriously, that hapless beggar ended up with some SERIOUS bank (or would have, had he not been shaken down by everyone and their mother, but that was the fun part). JUST A MONTH AGO YOU WERE BEGGING WHY ARE ALL THESE COINS IN YOUR PACK WHO DID YOU ROB/KILL/BLACKMAIL ARE YOU SMUGGLING?!? YOU PAY ME X COINS PER WEEK OR WE KEEL YOU!
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

That's why you never let anyone know your potential wealth in the game. And never keep a lot of coins on you either. Of course I tend to keep small coins on me because of weight and other things. But still I make a rule that I only have large amount on me if I've just sold a bunch of things or if I plan on buying something that takes a lot of coins to buy.

Whats considered "a lot" of coins?

And "twinking"?