The Armageddon Movie Trailer (Unofficial)

Started by James de Monet, January 05, 2014, 06:49:35 PM

January 05, 2014, 06:49:35 PM Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:02:23 AM by James de Monet
Okay, so of all the weird Armageddon projects I've undertaken, this one has by far taken the most time (please note that that doesn't necessarily mean it's any good, just that it took a long time).  It's kind of like a movie-style trailer for Armageddon.

No, I don't intend to make an actual movie.  Hope you guys enjoy it!

The original version can be seen here: https://youtu.be/dAAagxV8Wzk

And the version for current players with an alternate ending can be seen here: https://youtu.be/iimrHBWqWzU

P.S.  Yes, I am aware there are some problems with it.  YOU try making a movie using actors who don't play the game and don't understand why you're making them stop halfway through a four-hour road trip to take some footage in weird clothes against a boring, dry, backdrop.   ;)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on January 05, 2014, 06:49:35 PM
No, I don't intend to make an actual movie. 

Coward!

Just kidding, this is awesome!  :)

The scene where he fails backstab. My sides.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God, now I wanna make tons of these. All players dressing up in garb and pretending, filming, casting, backstabing, crafting, bowing, foraging, rough circle....ing...  all of it!  How did you get all those people to geek out for you?!

That was sooooooooo awesome, I loved it! My fave is the alternate ending. Can we share it? I think this would totally suck people in! Add that shit to the original submissions!
* ShaLeah squees!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Yeah, we need a huge APM out in the desert. ;)

Awesome vids, man.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 05, 2014, 07:57:48 PM
Yeah, we need a huge APM out in the desert. ;)

Awesome vids, man.

You know I bet people would show up to that one. A week long production vacation where we get to geek out.  I say we need at least one scene with the camera looking over our shoulders to the scrolling beauty that is Armageddon. I volunteer to craft flour into batch.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Bravo!  Love it!
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Hey! Hey! That totally shows my current PC, you know, the PC that totally dodged that master backstab. I call IC info!

Good work :D
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Awesome, this has to be the only RPI with a live action trailer ;D
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Man, that's not bad at all.

I think you wyn Armageddon, James.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

That's awesome dude. I love the pavilion tents you shot, I'm curious how you did/found those.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Dude, so friggin boss.  I love the Whiran and the pouch of obsidian coins.

Yeah, the pouch of coins toed by the Templar is my favorite.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

I'm glad you guys like it!  The main goal was just hoping to make people want to play (or play more).

To answer some questions:

Yes, you're totally free to share it! I will probably make the original ending video public on YouTube and keep the other private, but you're free to share either.

It was shot all over California. Whenever I went somewhere dry and desert-like, I tried to film a scene or two. Some was here in San Jose, some in Pajaro Dunes, some in the Mojave Desert, some in Pleasanton, L.A. All over the place.

As to the tents, there was some big show in town. So I visited their tents on a day it wasn't showing.  ;)

As to the actors...I don't know, I called in a lot of favors.  ;D
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Is that Indiana Jones at 1:10?
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Very Inspiring James. I would look forward to seeing more done. I would donate to a budget too if you story board out I'd be interested in hearing your ideas, as an investor.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Oh... my... god.... now I want to have an Arm Larp. And I never larped before.

That is AWESOME!
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: HavokBlue on January 06, 2014, 02:10:23 AM
Is that Indiana Jones at 1:10?

Haha, hey you, SoCal! Stop giving away my uber sekrit shooting locations!  :D

Heh, Potaje, I think I would have to budget to buy new friends. Getting mine to do more scenes might be difficult. I do still have some footage I didn't use, and a few scenes I meant to film that I didn't get around to. If there was really an interest in doing more trailers, maybe having small groups of players film their own scenes, then have one person put them all together would be more tenable. Quality control would be an issue, though.

... I could use my snowy backyard as Salt flats perhaps.... hmmmm....
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

That was too cool, James! Wish you had let the community know! I would've been more than happy to try and help out in any way I could, while in CA!
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Wow! That rocks!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Awesome work!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

These were really great. Would be nice to see more of these with things like rangers and other guilds. But these were both awesome I enjoyed them very much.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Rathustra on January 06, 2014, 10:41:20 AM
Dat glow crystal tho.

You mean this one?   ;)

Also, GB, I actually did do a casting call for other players!  It was just...like 3 years ago.  And since only Potaje was available, and he would have had to come down from Oregon, I just made non-players do it.  :P

James de Monet...

Don't make excuses for this video. It's really cool. Great job.
Czar of City Elves.

Your whiran is cute, and is giving me filthy, unclean thoughts.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on January 07, 2014, 09:09:10 AM
Your whiran is cute, and is giving me filthy, unclean thoughts.

I thought she was a rukkian. Now I see the error of my ways.

I thought the guy who pulled the swords out of sand was the rukkian.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 07, 2014, 10:24:43 AM
I thought the guy who pulled the swords out of sand was the rukkian.
No no no, his sword were hidden in the sand. He was a warrior clearly.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

At the end of the trailer, James just shakes his head sadly, realizing that he just spent the last three hours of his life playing a cute Whiran girl who got to cast one spell in-between a barrage of men (and other men playing gemmed women) way'ing her for teh sex.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I think the guy with the swords was a Ruk too.  The Whiran was my favorite, that was very creative.  Also loved the blue robe.

Hey, the woman in the beginning in the brown cloak.  She obviously can read...who's that, do you think?

I enjoyed this!  More please!  Suggestions for Part Two - rangers, people falling off the shield wall, Bynners getting mauled by endless (anything), and tavern sitting.  Also life in the rinth!  Elves running across the desert?

Quote from: Refugee on January 07, 2014, 11:24:48 AM
Hey, the woman in the beginning in the brown cloak.  She obviously can read...who's that, do you think?

No House markings OR colors at all. That look she gives you to me says "Oh you're so fucked and don't even know it. How YOU doin'?". I say it's someone that shouldn't be reading.

Dasari?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Refugee on January 07, 2014, 01:28:57 PM
Quote from: Delirium on January 07, 2014, 12:01:46 PM
It's a black robe, I thought.

Could be.  Could be...

Unconvinced. Kinda young for a black robe.

I agree with you about the look she's giving though.  Dead meat.

Maybe she's just a normal chick wearing those black cloaks that everyone wear, looking at those naughty pics they sell in Red Storm.

Quote from: Malken on January 07, 2014, 02:59:18 PM
Maybe she's just a normal chick wearing those black cloaks that everyone wear, looking at those naughty pics they sell in Red Storm.

HAH I love those raunchy things.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 07, 2014, 04:13:57 PM
Quote from: Malken on January 07, 2014, 02:59:18 PM

HAH I love those raunchy things.

Apparently she does too! Her look says, "I know you know what I'm looking at, but I'm just slowly going to back away and go back to sewing a whole bunch of sandcloth sleeves and we'll forget this ever happened, alright?"

Holy smokes! Dude, this was SO RAD.  I wanna be in one.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Heh, it is supposed to be a black robe, but it's actually supposed to be coal-black, which might have been more obvious if you could actually see what was sitting on the table in the shot.

Quote from: James de Monet on January 08, 2014, 12:49:39 AM
Heh, it is supposed to be a black robe, but it's actually supposed to be coal-black, which might have been more obvious if you could actually see what was sitting on the table in the shot.

Ohhh a brick! HAH! That's awesome.

James, between this and the lego sets, you win Armageddon!
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Next one should be filmed in South Dakota Badlands.

Holy shit the videos were utterly awesome! Super job taking the time and effort to do this James - really enjoyed watching them - specially the end of the alternate video.....

The effect viewing the player through the Mantis Head screen was genius!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Alternate ending was awesome man. Should have had someone slip and fall on their neck though.  Great job.