Yes, it's a Tuluki RPT - Sunday November 10 at 8PM

Started by Sir Earl Loinworth, October 22, 2013, 08:49:57 PM

October 22, 2013, 08:49:57 PM Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:28:52 AM by Sir Earl Loinworth
There is another Tuluki RPT on Sunday, November 9 at 8PM server time. There will be similar RPTs to this one on a regular basis. See the in-game rumor board for additional details!

What is sever time in relation to EST?

I'm not sure exactly what time the server is running. Which is why I ask.

There is a DISTINCT possibility I can go to this! Woo!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Are you sure EST is server time? Ive time converted from a webpage in the past with a rpt,  and people had a cry cause they assumed I meant server time, and there was an hour difference...
Death is only the beginning...

Yes, it's EST.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Evilone on October 25, 2013, 08:32:22 PM
Are you sure EST is server time? Ive time converted from a webpage in the past with a rpt,  and people had a cry cause they assumed I meant server time, and there was an hour difference...

Well it depends. Sometimes it's EST. Sometimes it's EDT (Eastern Daylight Time).  You just have to remember that both exist where the server's clock is, and it changes twice a year. At the moment, it's EDT, not EST. So whoever said it was EST, is not correct.

We're GMT (Greenwich Mean Time, the world's time-clock version of -0-) -4. This will be changing soon to EST. EDT is sometimes called Daylight Savings Time.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yup, currently its EDT. Nov 3rd at 2am it will turn to EST and become 1am.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Gawd dammit. I live in Greenville, SC, and my time is the same damn time as the server's is. It's EST. If I have to start drop kicking ...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

EST = eastern standard time. EDT = eastern daylight time. They're the same thing at different times of the year. ;)

Basically, EST is EDT is EST. Frickin' semantics. Both are server time.

However, if you use a time converter program to figure out your time to EST, it's going to be an hour off from your time to EDT if you don't have daylight savings time.  Which would explain why someone thought it was an hour off!

EDT is GMT -3 and EST is GMT -4 or something (this may be backward, it's too late for me to look it up).
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

EDT = GMT - 4 hours
EST = GMT - 5 hours

Clearly EDT and EST are not the same.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Forget the world clock.  Stick to the front page and game time.
Works for me.

Quote from: solera on October 26, 2013, 04:39:04 AM
Forget the world clock.  Stick to the front page and game time.
Works for me.

Yes, this is what "server time" refers to. It was meant to be a standard for RPTs to be set up (so you could compare your time to the server time on the bottom-left of www.armageddon.org and figure out your own time)

For what it's worth, server time will change with whether or not it is Daylight Savings time. But the RPT is set in the last two days of Daylgiht Savings time so there should be no clock-setting-based confusion for this particular RPT.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 26, 2013, 01:00:01 AM
Gawd dammit. I live in Greenville, SC, and my time is the same damn time as the server's is. It's EST. If I have to start drop kicking ...

You're not on EST right now. You're on EDT. All of South Carolina is on the same time everyone else on the east coast is on. This time of year - it's EDT. The week after next it'll switch to EST.

FYI. I wasnt questioning OP. I just said what I said to make sure people got the right time. Its not always convenient to just use server time, especially when your a leader of a clan managing Europe, American and various Pacific times.

Friendly fire. No drop kicking aloud!
Death is only the beginning...

Quote from: Lizzie on October 26, 2013, 10:42:47 AM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 26, 2013, 01:00:01 AM

You're not on EST right now. You're on EDT. All of South Carolina is on the same time MOST on the east coast is on. This time of year - it's EDT. The week after next it'll switch to EST.

Just a minor correction see above.
Yup that's much better.

Quote from: Evilone on October 27, 2013, 01:46:00 AM
FYI. I wasnt questioning OP. I just said what I said to make sure people got the right time. Its not always convenient to just use server time, especially when your a leader of a clan managing Europe, American and various Pacific times.

Just curious, Evil.  Why isn't it?

Not to start a fight or an issue, but using server time is very convenient. All one has to do is go to the homepage it will tell Server Time and then it will give Local Time. One can then easily convert to their time. Conversion would need to be done even if the OP put 8pm EDT. I don't see how this is inconvenient. Please explain.

Quote from: Evilone on October 25, 2013, 08:32:22 PM

This is exactly why people ought to use server time especially when you are trying to coordinate people across the world for an RPT. It sounds like the time conversion website gave you exactly what you asked for, EST, in spite of the fact that when you scheduled the RPT that ginka was running on EDT. Naturally, the time you got was different by an hour, and naturally when you posted a time with EST, everybody assumed it was server time (a common mistake), which again was EDT!

It seems most Americans don't understand the differences between EST, EDT, and Eastern (as evidenced by responses in this thread and other similar threads on this forum). People who live elsewhere around the globe are understandably confused. Server time clears this up so easily.

Just use the server time clock on the webpage! It's so easy. Just look at what it says. Look at what your computer clock says. Do math.

Let's lay it out the nasty details once more, just for fun.

EDT and EST are not the same thing! This is in spite of what you will read on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. EST and EDT have well defined meanings relative to Greenwich mean time (GMT). Yet people will say EST or EDT as a sloppy shorthand for Eastern time. I think this is where a lot of the confusion stems from.

Eastern time is usually meant to mean the time on the eastern seaboard of the USA - those locales within the Eastern time zone. What it means precisely depends on the time of year - it leaves that detail to be worked out by the reader. There are also places in South America, like Ecuador, that are in the eastern time zone but do not observe daylight savings (DST) at all. I think slvrmoontiger has alluded to some locales in the eastern US that do not observe DST, but I am not personally aware of any. I think Florida has had some political wrangling on the issue, but they remain DST observant. Indiana was historically a strange place, but I think they worked out the DST issue. I also know there are some oddball places out there that don't observe DST, Arizona being the obvious one. Hawaii is another, but it's less surprising in their case. Hint: most places that don't observe DST are near to the equator where there is less seasonal variation in the length of the days.

This is true: server time is always Eastern time. Server time is currently EDT, and quite soon it will change to EST. Also, server time is the best time!

Soooo how was the rpt, guys?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on October 28, 2013, 06:43:09 AM
Soooo how was the rpt, guys?

If they tell you how it was, they'd basically be divulging that they play a character who went to it. Since these particular RPTs only have on average less than a dozen PCs attending, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to figure out who plays who, in some cases.

Since divulging that information isn't really the best idea, I'm hoping they won't be telling us what they thought. Not to mention - if it sucked, they won't be posting it here because that'd be rude.

I think it's easy to just assume that those who attended, either enjoyed themselves, or didn't, and only the ones who did would post here anyway.

Lotta Asperger's in this thread.

The RPT was fun. Props to Sir Loinworth for organizing it.

the lines are drawn
the orders are in
the dance commander's
ready to sin
radio message from hq
dance commander
we love you

I hate when I miss an awesome event like this one....
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Thanks to those who attended and made things as enjoyable as possible.

Also thanks to those who made this thread a discussion about server time. Server time is the game's standard time and is featured on the game's website. I am personally going to use it for all RPT announcements I make.

The follow-up to this RPT is November 9, at 8PM server time, and the first post will now be updated to reflect that.