Irig beetles

Started by Vwest, October 18, 2013, 07:06:17 PM

I've been looking for information on the site about these critters and come up short.

If there is a help file I just cannot seem to find, could someone post it? Otherwise, any general information on them would be a big help.

I'm specifically interested in what makes them glow, though any information on them could be useful.

Thanks.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

I think this falls into territory where you need to find out in-game. Most people would know they're bugs that light up, but other than that, not much. They seem to be both rare and expensive, and are often made into lamps.

I'm fairly certain they are just bioluminescent critters, like fireflies writ large.  99 percent sure they're not inherently magical if that's what you're wondering.

Quote from: Erythil on October 19, 2013, 05:23:27 PM
I'm fairly certain they are just bioluminescent critters, like fireflies writ large.  99 percent sure they're not inherently magical if that's what you're wondering.

That is precisely what I was wondering.

I was more than a bit annoyed to get a 'find out IC' response, since... well, I'm pretty confident if I walk up to a Templar in-game and ask of he has a working knowledge of entomology and biochemistry my character would be thrown in the Arena as a heretic and I would end up with a note on my account, "asks Templars retarded questions".

Thanks for the response.

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Yeah but that's just his opinion. He doesn't know. He didn't find out IC like he should, he's just making a guess.

Just saying.

I think this would make a great concept for a Uaptal or Dasari partisan. Thanks Vwest :)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

That would be a better concept if you played it in the Byn.

Every concept is that much better in the Byn.

Play in the Byn, forever.

Quote from: Vwest on October 20, 2013, 02:43:58 AM

I find it hard to believe that any merchant would be better in the Byn.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 20, 2013, 03:58:35 AM

You have contacts, people who need equipment and get paid, and frequently travel from one side of the known to the other with a unit of mercs for protection.

HELP DOIT

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 20, 2013, 04:19:37 AM

You have contacts, people who need equipment and get paid, and frequently travel from one side of the known to the other with a unit of mercs for protection.

So you've played a merchant in the Byn before. I'm glad someone has.. Did you have a good time being one?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I've seen at least two very well-played merchants who were a strong addition to their unit before.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The last merchant I played with in the Byn went on badass adventures and killed all kinds of interesting things, then went on to join a merchant house and become a roaring success - and he can still walk into the roughest taverns in town and drink with the rough necks because of his time in the Byn.

There is no role, no character, no concept that cannot be made better by adding a shitcloak.

I find the whole thing about going to ask a templar silly. How else do you think people find out about far away, dangerous creatures living in far off lands? They send a ranger out to check it out. Rangers are ones who know the fauna and the flora, that knowledge is what keeps them alive. Get one grizzled and seasoned enough drunk and get information out of him about irrig beetles. He probably captured some for House Kadius in his day.

And the ignorant, illiterate, ox-humping ranger is going to know if they glow because of 'luciferyl adenylate and oxyluciferin' and not 'magick', right?

The whole 'find out IC' argument is completely irrelevant because a) I'm not playing the game right now, b) have no character to go and ask and c) am not asking for any in-character reason, but rather looking for a clear OOC explanation as to how they function, so I know if they could viably be used for a content submission I've been tinkering with for a while.

The parroting of 'find out IC' in response to pretty much everything that isn't 'random Armageddon thoughts' has really neutered the GDB as an information source.

I'll go with Erythil's two cents and follow it up with a request: question before submitting anything.

Thread over, play Byn, etc.

We're not being hostile here. Just letting you know that you're not going to get any hard and fast answers about this on the GDB. Which should be pretty clear, because nobody has spoken with authority about the subject. For all we know they have mini little glow crystals in their ass that can be harvested and crafted into rave-stlye glow-sticks.

We're saying the best way to find this out is most likely going to be in-game. Since that isn't an option for you then yes,  asking staff via request is probably the best way to go.

Sorry you didn't like our advice.

Ignorant as defined by Merriam-Webster:
Quoteig·no·rant adjective \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\
: lacking knowledge or information

: resulting from or showing a lack of knowledge

Full Definition of IGNORANT

a :  destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also :  lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics>
b :  resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
:  unaware, uninformed

A wizened, seasoned ranger would have knowledge of things. Yes they might be illiterate, But they certainly wouldn't have a lack of knowledge. Their knowledge is observation and opening things up to find out how they work. Templar's don't do that sort of thing. Please use correct definitions and terminology when posting. Some people could take offense to you calling rangers ignorant. I as someone who has played rangers took offense to it.

Oh, also wanted to add, but edit feature doesn't work for me.

Why not go see some gicker and ask them?

I think this is one of those things where asking a PC is all well and nice because in a perfect world they might have a clue but since they're players with the same problems you are, they're going to know fuckall nothing.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Insofar as you know, irrig beetles are nonmagickal.  That's common knowledge and 'find out ic lolol' is the wrong response here.  They're mundane items found all over.

Quote from: maxid on October 26, 2013, 10:13:44 PM
Insofar as you know, irrig beetles are nonmagickal.  That's common knowledge and 'find out ic lolol' is the wrong response here.  They're mundane items found all over.

I don't know why I feel the need to defend this still. But I disagree. "insofar as you know" is a just another way of saying "You don't know." So perhaps if you don't know, find out in game.

I don't think it is wrong for your characters to assume they are inherently biological. I also don't think it's wrong for a character to think they are inherently magical. But by telling him, like it's a fact, that they are NOT magikal, you completely remove any effort he has to go through to find out, and in the end he could be completely wrong, and his item/code idea could be completely unusable.

This could very well be something that is documented in game. Something you can find out in game. And since the Irrig beetles are NOWHERE in documentation, talking about their specifics is pretty much a no-no.

Especially when it's based off of a damn guess. It's a question that should be answered by staff, or by the Houses/Merchants/Ranger that would know in-game.

Let's put it this way, then. Irrig beetles are acceptable for use everywhere. So whatever they are, they are generally considered by everyone from laymen to nobles to templars to be mundane in nature, or they wouldn't be allowed anywhere. As to whether they are mundane or not, sure ... find out IC.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

For all we know somewhere out there there's a Kuraci-enslaved magicker imbuing crystals with light, wondering when someone will figure out they're not mundane and come to free them.

Find out IC. Be the change. Save the 'gicker.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Quote from: Ouroboros on October 27, 2013, 09:09:37 AM
Find out IC. Be the change. SaveKill the 'gicker.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Ouroboros on October 27, 2013, 09:09:37 AM
For all we know somewhere out there there's a Kuraci-enslaved magicker imbuing crystals with light, wondering when someone will figure out they're not mundane and come to free them.

Find out IC. Be the change. Save the 'gicker.

Please, no one tell Tuluk.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA