Idea - Collar For Mounts

Started by Yummri, October 18, 2013, 05:56:47 PM

I firstly have no idea where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong place.

But this is simple. Right now when you title a mount it doesn't stay. So how about a collar item that can be crafted from leather straps and some random engravable item which varies in ost based on said engravible item.

Which you would give to the mount, bearing its title/name and while wearing it, the title would stick. Simple and effective. Rather than having to title all the time.

I'm not saying this is a huge problem or anything, you can get use to it with time. But I just think it adds a little something to mounts. like naming a pet and giving them a collar.

This is a good idea, but I believe its not possible because when you offer your ticket in the stables I believe you just get a mount of the same type that you rented. I believe its a randomization meaning you chances of you getting the same exact mount you had before are nil.

However, maybe something in the coding could get worked out so it codes to the ticket and automatically titles the mount when you offer your ticket. In this case this topic really should be moved to Code Discussion. I think this would be a good idea if possible. Would save a lot of trouble of people accidentally hopping up on the wrong mount in the stables when there are a group of people getting the same type of mount at the same time.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Oh, sorry for putting it in the wrong area....how do I move it or should I just start the topic over?

Also, keep in mind, commoners can't read or write, so unless you're giving your mount a symbol for a name like TAFKAP, engraving is moot.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

October 18, 2013, 06:07:21 PM #4 Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:08:55 PM by Leela
Quote from: James de Monet on October 18, 2013, 06:06:25 PM
Also, keep in mind, commoners can't read or write, so unless you're giving your mount a symbol for a name like TAFKAP, engraving is moot.

Right good point forgot about that.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

As did I.

But a symbol works too, even if it just adds the keyword in which you title your mount as a meaning of the symbol then.

Quote from: Yummri on October 18, 2013, 06:13:44 PM
As did I.

But a symbol works too, even if it just adds the keyword in which you title your mount as a meaning of the symbol then.

That is what writing is. A symbol that means something. The Sorcerer Kings, Templars and Nobles would at least frown upon this if not actively outlaw such a practice.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Then just the collar that allows for the keyword to be added perminantly, by color or pattern. Something. But the way it is now is a little...bothersome.

Ohhhh....I see why you want something engraved. For the purposes of adding a normal keyword to the mount. I didn't get that before. I just thought you wanted their name on there visible to a look, like a dog collar (with the keyword adding being an additional code function of it).

Gotcha.

Interesting concept, but even with colors it wouldn't really work the way things are coded now.  It would be interesting if mount items could transfer keywords like cloaks on people do.
The inix in a purple saddle blanket is here, nosing for forage.

Except that, if you think about it, that is going to require you to enter more commands than titling now does (because it will require removing before stabling as well)  Maybe you just want to ">alias nm title beetle ernest"?
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

If this could work code-wise, "title" would as well. At which point "title" would continue be a far more appropriate solution IC.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Aliasing works, but something permanent would be nice too. I think if they could code the fact of you offering the ticket of a mount you already titled to automatically title the mount you get with the same title it would be very IC and better way of handling things.

I agree, my idea was just a fix, if there was a better and more ic way of doing things I would very much support it.

Quote from: Yummri on October 18, 2013, 11:12:04 PM
I agree, my idea was just a fix, if there was a better and more ic way of doing things I would very much support it.

It was a great idea and helped me think of my idea. It's good to see your ideas. Feel free to post more of them.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 18, 2013, 10:47:57 PM
Aliasing works, but something permanent would be nice too. I think if they could code the fact of you offering the ticket of a mount you already titled to automatically title the mount you get with the same title it would be very IC and better way of handling things.

That, actually, is feasible code-wise. A ticket (or the NPC) already holds the object number of the kind of mount you stable, any existing title value could potentially be added to the ticket object as well when it's stabled and re-applied when the new mount is generated.

The only question that remains is whether coding that is a better use of staff time than us having to simply alias-titling our mounts. Only staff can answer that one, but it's a good idea just the same.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Quote from: Ouroboros on October 19, 2013, 05:17:14 AM

That, actually, is feasible code-wise. A ticket (or the NPC) already holds the object number of the kind of mount you stable, any existing title value could potentially be added to the ticket object as well when it's stabled and re-applied when the new mount is generated.

The only question that remains is whether coding that is a better use of staff time than us having to simply alias-titling our mounts. Only staff can answer that one, but it's a good idea just the same.

You go right ahead and use alias-titling when there are 20 other beetles in the same room as you.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 19, 2013, 09:16:38 AMYou go right ahead and use alias-titling when there are 20 other beetles in the same room as you.

Ride outside the stables briefly, title, and ride back in? Count the beetles and target yours by number? Either works just fine.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 19, 2013, 09:16:38 AM
Quote from: Ouroboros on October 19, 2013, 05:17:14 AM

You go right ahead and use alias-titling when there are 20 other beetles in the same room as you.

See this is my point exactly. That's why I'd like something that automatically titles your mount... Because you don't want to offer your ticket at the same time as someone else and then accidentally mount their beetle. I've seen this happen many times with beetles and inix especially other mounts its not that problematic.

... Are they using the same breed of beetle? Then it shouldn't matter.

If it's a different breed, you should notice REALLY FAST that you're not mounting the right beetle.

The problem isn't that you're on the wrong type of mount, it's that you mount whatever, and then try to "title mount X".  After you mount but before you title, someone else drags the same type of mount out of storage.  "title mount X" sends you "But you're not riding that!"  And then you get to play the game where you try to find out what NUMBER mount it is before someone else pulls another out.  This is usually only a problem in hunter/military clans, but still.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Sounds like a really small problem to be worrying about.