Analyze skill stuck at novice?

Started by JackGibbons, September 26, 2013, 04:47:42 AM

Does the 'analyze' skill ever go up past novice? I've been using 'assess' and 'analyze' quite a lot and it is still novice.

> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

I've never seen it increase, myself, but I've never been hampered by that either. Most of the time if I have the skill and connections, and the item is craftable, assess and analyse work fine on them.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

The analyze skill never goes up. It's different than most skills in that the usefulness of analyze depends primarily on other skills rather than the analyze skill itself. I'm talking about crafting skills, of course.

For example, if you want to know how to replicate that high-end knife you bought, then the first order of business is to get really good at making knives. Once you're good enough at knife making, use analyze on the fancy knife to get the ingredient list.

Since the result of the analyze command doesn't depend on your analyze skill level, it doesn't matter that it stays stuck at novice. So don't sweat it. You can check the help file to see the things that it depends on. The result of the analyze command can be a bit esoteric, so you have to learn how to interpret the output to get the information that you want. This is a topic that comes up every now and then because, as you have already noticed, the analyze command works a little bit differently than the rest. You might try searching the forums for more information - it's all there to be found.

Thanks folks. So it pretty much exists just to allow me access to the command.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Yep. I'm not sure why it's implemented as a skill. Only the code-god knows...

September 26, 2013, 07:29:40 AM #5 Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:49:50 AM by Bushranger
I would like to know why staff sometimes confuse analyze and value. Thanks for reminding me about it!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on September 26, 2013, 07:29:40 AM
I would like to know why staff sometimes confuse analyze and value. Thanks for reminding me about it!

Of course I can't speak for staff but the two commands are similar in that value sometimes reveals the origin of an item.  Like if it was crafted by a certain merchant house or tribal group, etc.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I wouldn't remove analyze as a skill, if only just to let people know it's there.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Molten Heart on September 26, 2013, 10:19:07 AM
Quote from: Bushranger on September 26, 2013, 07:29:40 AM

Of course I can't speak for staff but the two commands are similar in that value sometimes reveals the origin of an item.  Like if it was crafted by a certain merchant house or tribal group, etc.

Yes. The difference being that Value works on items that you can not craft (be it through lack of the crafting skill or the item not having a crafting recipe).
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Analyze probably exists as a skill so that it can be added to a pfile with little work. Otherwise it would be a class feature, like ranger quit is.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870