Author Topic: If You Could Learn One Language You Don't Already Know  (Read 3437 times)

If You Could Learn One Language You Don't Already Know
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »
What would it be?

Mine is Arabic.

I just love the way it sounds and I like their culture. And you never know. Things change. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, etc. might actually be decent places for a white person to visit at some point. Wars can't last forever.

I tend to favor either Mandarin (easier to find tapes and such than Cantonese) Chinese or Arabic alternatively depending on the day. For a while now my heart has been yearning for Arabic.

I'm supposedly actually pretty good at learning languages but honestly, if they were any harder for me to learn I'd pull my hair out and cry.

I used to know French well enough to speak haltingly for directions and say two-digit numbers and all that crap but I lost it with disuse. For some reason, however, I never forgot proper pronounciation.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

TheWanderer

Re: If You Could Learn One Language You Don't Already Know
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:13:45 AM »
High Valyrian.
Maybe Japanese after I get through with that...
Whatever happens, happens.

janeshephard

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:22:33 AM »
I speak Arabic fairly well. The closest I found to classical Arabic is in Saudi Arabia. I'm pretty certain neighboring countries speak mostly the same dialect in the Gulf. The last time I was in Egypt I had to relearn the dialect and people would laugh at how 'correct' my Arabic always was.

You can visit these countries as a 'white person' and not run into any trouble at all. Really, it's -no-where- near as bad as some articles paint it out to be. Even if you mess up and act insulting people are usually quick to explain when they find out you're new.

Just don't do stupid shit like hit on women in public, or be drunk in public, or you'll get your ass kicked fairly quickly.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Molten Heart

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:25:56 AM »
Mandarin.  Not only is it useful for forgoing the subtitles in Chinese movies (I hate subtitles and like their movies, especially the newer Kung-fu ones), it'd help me get around when I fulfill my dream of touring China (one day...)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:30:16 AM by Molten Heart »

BleakOne

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:51:37 AM »
Esperanto

So I can speak it with the nobody else who bothers speaking it.
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

MeTekillot

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
Japanese, to watch unsubbed anime
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »
I know a little German, but I'd like to speak it fluently.  Otherwise I'd want to learn Japanese.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

MeTekillot

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »
learn Japanese.
to watch unsubbed anime??
My thoughts.

flurry

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
I have fun trying to improve my French, which I do work on little by little. I think I'm going to go back and rewatch the French in Action series, which is really great.

If I were to pick a language where I'd be starting from almost no knowledge whatsoever, I've always thought it would be neat to learn Swedish, for no special reason.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Pale Horse

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
I'm very rusty with Portuguese, but I'm still confident in my ability to at least navigate and carry on most conversations.

I've got some learning CDs and books for Mandarin laying around here somewhere...

High on my list is Spanish (the stuff gives me a headache as it sounds almost like a dialect of Portuguese) and German.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:07:41 PM »
learn Japanese.
to watch unsubbed anime??

Naaa, so when I go there I can get around easier.  I've always wanted to visit Japan.  I keep having a friend of mine bug me about moving there to teach English.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Barzalene

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 01:16:40 PM »
Portuguese. I wan to live in the Azores.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Marauder Moe

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »
Arabic languages are the most profitable.  The US government has been in dire need of translators.

I suspect Mandarin will be increasingly profitable in the future, both for government work and business.

For daily life in the US, knowing Spanish would be very useful.

I already know a fair amount of German.

If I could plug into the Matrix and download a language, though, probably Korean.  Through friends and family, I've had an unusual amount of exposure to Korean culture.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
I'd like to learn Swedish as well.

My dad's side of the family is very Swedish and I have a lot of relatives that live in that country.  It would be cool to be able to communicate with them!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
 It would be cool to be able to communicate with them!

Most people in Sweden speak English, so you already can! :P

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
 It would be cool to be able to communicate with them!

Most people in Sweden speak English, so you already can! :P

I know.  Many of my Swedish relatives do speak english (except for the very old ones who live in the country). But most people enjoy speaking in their native tongue, and I'd feel like I had more in common with them.

Morrolan

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
Through friends and family, I've had an unusual amount of exposure to Korean culture.

I'd like to learn Korean as well, though there's likely to be little money in that one -- much of the younger generation in Korea has enough English to get by, and there are a fair number who are fluent in English.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Lizzie

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
Welsh. For no particular reason. Just seems a neat thing to learn.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Zoltan

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »
I want to finish learning Russian. I think it would be cool to learn Spanish at some point, too.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Bogre

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:11:39 PM »
French.

Although Chinese would be more useful, and I'd rather shore up my ability to speak Spanish and German first.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Harmless

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 09:42:57 PM »
I just want to speak spanish and japanese better.

I can watch unsubbed anime and kind of get the gist of it. Not really, for most fantasy plots. But for the most part I can follow along and more importantly, I can enjoy it well enough.

When I was in Japan people often assumed I had been living there for a few years.

My backup plan, if everything goes poorly in my life otherwise, is to move to japan. I pretty much can handle myself there
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

MeTekillot

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 11:43:14 PM »
My thoughts.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 03:47:30 AM »
I like to pretend I'm learning Russian but I only having a passing familiarity with Cyrillic, and only because I tried to teach it to myself to decipher signs in DayZ and insults from Russian pilots in War Thunder.

Japanese would be pretty neat. Then I could move to Nippon (Translator's note: Nippon means Japan) and wear my silk screen Goku shirt and katana/wakizashi in public and all the kawaii girls would love me.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 05:35:25 AM »
I feel like if you know Russian, you're forever safe from ANYONE...except for other Russians.

lordcooper

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 06:58:57 AM »
German, with Dutch being a close second.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

AmandaGreathouse

• Inspiration on Tap:
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
French. I know a few little bits of it from skimming through a copy of the Complete Idiot's guide to French or some such that I picked up at Barnes and Nobles ages ago. But I keep putting the book down to wander off and do other stuff. >.>
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Symphony

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »
Of all the languages and derivatives, I would most love to learn written and spoken Latin.

No no you see, by date Ghost means "chased his wife around the house with his penis till she cried".

Aruven

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
Of all the languages and derivatives, I would most love to learn written and spoken Latin.

I took two years of latin in high school. I liked it, but lost it due to never taking it seriously and cheating on all my tests in class. Real scummy waste of my time -- but what I did take made french seem lile a cake walk when I considered it, again disuse struck it pointless. Japanese was intriguing, until my second deployment in the pacific. I think russian, is something I want to finish.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
Latin was my favorite language, and I would love to re-learn it. Never learned spoken, only written.

I'll settle for learning Italian, even if it's lightspeedfastandiwouldhavetobegthemtoslowdownsoicouldunderstandthem.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

lordcooper

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
Just say beatbox and wave your hands around a lot.  Throw in an occasional 'aaaayyy' for good measure.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.