Author Topic: Animating the world with emotes  (Read 2610 times)

Darn Newbie

Animating the world with emotes
« on: September 22, 2002, 01:58:25 AM »
I once saw someone, who was obviously an amazing emoter animate a NPC. It made me do a double take, as I thought an Immortal had decided to animate the NPC, but in actuality, the emoter just used @.

I often try to bring VNPCs to life in predictable manners, such as a VNPC family member by typing:

emote listens as his father berate him for not doing his chores.

However, a better way to emote this would be:

emote A bald man berates @ for not doing his chores.

Just my two 'sid on something I saw once which I thought was pretty good, that had never occured to me.

Crystal D

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 02:48:39 AM »
NPC animation is -THE- best way to roleplay by yourself I find.  If you get good, and you're in an enivornment where there's no one who can't speak
your language... take it to the next step!  Have them speak.  This is damn tricky to do, but after a bit it comes easily.  Example:                              

:The wiry, short-haired man says to @, in sirihish:
         "No, no, no, NO!  Swing  :arrow: with your shoulder and upper body, not just your arm!"

[Edited to add:  Don't actually do this.  -Nyr]

Your spacing will be screwed up at first, but eventually you'll figure out the appropriate number of spaces - and blammo!   You have a fully interactive npc, even a vnpc if you're so inclined, as I often am.

Always keep in mind that the world around you is full of characters that aren't coded.  Some creative emoting can make them all come alive, and they're a good way to keep yourself amused during boring times.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:40:03 PM by Nyr »
Darnell sleeps with goats.'
'Lysinder is much less finicky.'

-From the Shield of Ignorance

Rindan

VNPCs are the way to go
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 03:04:59 AM »
I think that emoting with VNPCs are the way to go, especially if your character needs to often perform a boring routine.  One of my characters often had to guard a gate.  ICly, this gate was very busy.  OOCly, once on a blue moon a PC would wander through, we would look at each other,  then he would carry on.  OOCly, it was painfully boring.  Then I start to spice it up for myself.  I would start emoting events happening at the gate that my character would react to.  Perhaps group of mercenaries would ride in, and I could ask them how clear the roads looked.  Some elves could jog by and my character could watch them.  Making things more interactive, a VNPC might walk through the gate armed, and I would start yelling at them to sheathe their weapons.  Beggars might to start to bother my character, and he would snap at them and scar them off.  Merchants could bug me to help them unload something, and I would tell them I am on duty and to bugger off.  

The possibilities really are endless.  You just need keep everything reasonable.  You don't need to be alone to do this.  The most fun I had RPing in a certain places was when I did this with other characters at this gate.  After a while you would get into a groove.  One person would 'create' an event, and then together you would solve it.  It helped to keep things moving and turn a boring gate watching into something to look forward to.

The only thing you really need to watch out for is not to glorify your character too much.  There is nothing wrong with a 50 day old warrior knocking a VNPC hunter off his kank and beating him for refusing to follow an order.  There is a problem if your 1 day old character emotes kicking the crap out of a group of mercenaries wandering in through the gate.  Be realistic about it.  If you would do it to an PC, then it is probably ok.  If you would act differently around a PC, then I suggest thinking twice.

tortall

Something I noticed....
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 02:44:30 PM »
Whever I tried the: emote ~person smirks as @ dances around the room. It wouldn't work. Because I used the ~ at the beggning of the emote. It always kinda annoied me, 'cause then I had to type the whole sdesc out for the item or person.

-Tortall, how hopes to corrected, and there IS a way to do that.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Samoa

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 03:03:56 PM »
My impression was that that was to prevent code abuse - otherwise, you could walk into the tavern and be like: "emote ~templar waves merrily to @, beckoning her over."  - sort of dickish.  It'd get you in trouble, of course, but it'd be better to not have to deal with it at all.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Plazgoth

I have noticed it too
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 03:07:53 AM »
I generaly avoid that problem by adding a simple action before the reference:

emote Scratching ^person  head ~person smirks as @ dances around the room.

Oops I guess that was not a simple action.

emote Nodding ~persom smirks as @ dances on the table.

Just my 2 sid....

Ghardoan

Another Way to Do It...
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 04:37:40 AM »
Another method of making it look as though an NPC actually performed the action is coping the said NPC's short description, and pasting it after your 'emote' command. Or, you could do as I do, and just type it out.

Example:
emote The pudgy, gray-haired man regards @ suspiciously, peering at him.

I know this is a method of circumventing the restriction of putting a ~keyword before anything else, but, like someone mentioned before, people who abuse this will probably be reported promptly and dealt with.

Ghardoan

Angela Christine

A fun place to emote
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 02:37:41 AM »
If you want a "safe" place to practice emotes, try the hall of kings next time you create a new character.  Usually you are alone in there except for the scar guy, and it's an OOC area so even if someone pops into existance and catches you it won't do any harm.  You can starve to death in the hall, so don't hang out in there for hours and hours solo emoting with the scar guy, but you could probably go 15-20 minutes.  Unfortunately, there is no one there to tell you if your emotes look funky, but you can't have everything.   :D

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Cerebus

Not good for PCs
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 02:53:06 AM »
Ghardoan's method of typing out an sdesc instead of using ~ to start an emote works when dealing with VNPC or NPCs, but you wouldn't want to use it with a PC, because then they'd see their own sdesc instead of 'you'

creeper386

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2002, 03:37:48 AM »
I don't think you would want to use PCs along with all this any ways... You could include whatever they are doing.. but that could end up getting repetitive... Just yet the PCs do what they do and only include them in your emotes if they are involved... the objects.. that your actions are effecting.

I'm thinking that if you are including PCs before your self... The only way is to say they are doing something...

Sure for example you and your bynner pals are sitting around cleaning armour you can have...

emote As so and so(A PC) cleans his armour, I look around the room...

I think it'd be MUCH safer to let the PCsdo their own emote actions though... Even if your emote includes what they are doing... Maybe they want to emote what they are doing themselves.

But I think its a wonderful time to watch people RP with (v)npc's... Although I personally don't think I could do it much with NPCs because someone had to come up with that character and its bound to have a set personality and such.. or at least they players have set a personality for it and I have it as acting differently....

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Ghardoan

Followup
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2002, 04:12:46 AM »
Yes, to clarify, the method I recommended above should not be used with another PC under any circumstance. Another point I would like to make is this: Remember that some NPCs may have distinct personalities.

This is mainly reflected in NPCs that are commonly inhabited by the staff, such as Vennant. In cases where you think a NPC may have a previously defined personality, use the 'talk' command when no-one is around and try and gain some sense of how he, she, or it behaves before interacting. The reactions of most NPCs can be left to common sense, however.

Just remember that, while you "have control" over an NPC or VNPC, he, she, or it should be made to react to your character as realistically as possible. This may mean making an NPC or VNPC behave rudely or even threateningly towards your character. I am sure that this is obvious to most of you, but I thought it might be prudent to clarify anyway.

With that said, please forgive me if this post makes absolutely no sense. Lack of sleep is taking its toll.

Ghardoan

Sanvean

• My Website
Animating NPCs
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 12:13:18 PM »
Animating a bartender so he nods to you as he slides over a drink: good.

Animating a bartender so he decides to hire you or sell you his bar: bad.

There's a fine line here. Generally if it's everyday interactions, way fine. If it's something that is going to lead up to you wishing up something like "Could you guys load me up five jugs of spiced brandy? I rp-ed out the bartender agreeing to get some for me." or "I got wanted when I attacked someone in the bar, but I've rp-ed out making a close personal friendship with this templar NPC, so I know he would have looked the other way", then maybe you want to think twice about it.

NPCs have backgrounds, where the builder puts notes about their personality, their role, quirks, etc. You can RP as you wish, but if it comes down to a question that's answered by something in their background, that's going to be the deciding factor. On occasion we'll add notes on an NPC's background reflecting his/her interaction with PCs and events that have shaped the NPC.

Does this mean don't animate NPCs? Not at all - go for it. It's entertaining, and it adds to the richness of the playing environment.  But (as always) use common sense.