How long does it take to go from novice to apprentice and so on?

Started by Sockpuppeteer, July 27, 2013, 04:13:13 PM

Quote from: bricklayer on July 31, 2013, 12:37:44 AM

Aside: I'm sad we see a ranking for our skills.

I don't know why. In real life you would know how good you are at something.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 31, 2013, 02:45:06 AM
Quote from: bricklayer on July 31, 2013, 12:37:44 AM

Aside: I'm sad we see a ranking for our skills.

I don't know why. In real life you would know how good you are at something.

You'd have a general idea - which is what the skills ranking provides in Arm. Any skilled tradesman can tell you where he fits on the professional scale, mostly because the terms used in Arm are the same terms used in the skilled trades professions.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Maso on July 30, 2013, 02:51:26 PM
Discovering cool recipes in game is one the high points of playing a crafter, when you get to be like...HELL YEAH. I JUST MADE THAT SHIT.

I'd recommend trying to find a mentor/teacher type figure IG. A character to show your character the ropes, so to speak. It's more fun than asking on the GDB, and they can't tell you to find out IC. This applies to most guilds, to be honest, but having a teacher crafter person is hugely beneficial to new player crafters. :)

This whole topic actually made me want to play a crafter. Something I have never done before. Instead of finding it infuriating I see it as a puzzle. Obviously I'm looking for as many IG teachers/mentors I can to learn everything I can. But ai'm approaching it from a: This is a puzzle I intend to solve perspective.

I'm not sure if its too OOC to say this but...

the actual mathmatical solution is

2Xattempts
over 4X losses
devided by
-------------------
Your character's ability to make children smile
+
your characters ability to not starve to death
-
two or three RL weeks
-------------------

= GOAL

Also I'm a firm believer of enjoying the game for what it is.. which is Role Playing Excellence.. take my joking advice with a grain of salt-flats.   Any questions you have about skilling up, you will have to answer youself.   No one can tell you how it's done.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Personally, I think the thing I enjoy most is interacting with other PCs in the game. I tend not to worry about skill much and just interact as much as possible. But I RP so my PCs always follow the roll that has been set up for them. I try to be as consistent as possible in the way my PC acts. If I do something that's out of the normal and it was meant to happen throw out a feel or a think about it just so the staff knows why or do a update on your story line.  Just play and have fun the game isn't intended nor should ever be about focusing on your skills. And always play as if the staff is watching your every move, because sometimes they really are.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I really feel there should have been one response to this question.

"We dont discuss skill leveling on the GDB."

Because I didn't think we did.

*His grumpy old man voice*
Back when I was a newbie, we couldn't even see our skill level and just had to know how good we were based on things we actually did in game. I miss the good ole' days.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on August 01, 2013, 10:09:46 AM
I really feel there should have been one response to this question.

"We dont discuss skill leveling on the GDB."

Because I didn't think we did.

*His grumpy old man voice*
Back when I was a newbie, we couldn't even see our skill level and just had to know how good we were based on things we actually did in game. I miss the good ole' days.

I actually REMEMBER those days. I thought it was weird after a while of not playing due to being too busy in life (wait I was too busy in life at one point in time not to play Arm? How sad...) I came back and all of a sudden you can see your skill levels. I was mildly confused.

The skill level shown can be turned off. There was a time that the level was not listed. It is within the last three years that we have had that added feature. When it was put in some disliked it and staff made it possible to turn it off for those who prefer to just role with not knowing and be happily surprised when they branched something new.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Sometimes I am happily surprised when a skill branches even knowing what level I am at because some skills branch when you don't expect them to.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 01, 2013, 12:21:16 PM
Sometimes I am happily surprised when a skill branches even knowing what level I am at because some skills branch when you don't expect them to.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I prefer to know when my skills go from ur mom level to tubular.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

What are the levels between novice and mastered? If it's IC info, its ok. I scanned the forums and the help files, but couldn't find anything.

Quote from: Elocin on August 02, 2013, 11:10:01 PM
What are the levels between novice and mastered? If it's IC info, its ok. I scanned the forums and the help files, but couldn't find anything.
Novice
Apprentice
Journeyman
Advanced
Master
(And don't worry, there's a file for it.)
Whatever happens, happens.

In case it didn't already get posted:  http://armageddon.org/help/view/FAQ%209
"You were right. I don't know if life is greater than death. But love was more than either."

Quote from: lordcooper on September 25, 2013, 04:46:37 AM
Stop bringing OOC notions into the game.  Zalanthans bleed when they get hungry

Edit: Thinking it over this might have conveyed a different message than the humour I was intending to conjure.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Don't worry, newbies. Not all of us immediately assume the worst about you.  ::)

Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Oh I was making a joke, reading it again might have seemed douchey. Not the point I was making at all.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

About tree fiddy verrin hawks.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I feel like I give the love.. I certainly give newbie love, with the back of my hand...

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

(redacted)

Now how did I do that, oops wrong thread. (edited)

You appear to be experiencing technical difficulties, Potaje.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.