Domesticated Animals?

Started by Alkendor, July 25, 2013, 10:33:29 PM

Are there any small, domesticated animals that would fill the role of a cat or dog on a farm today? For that matter are there any herded animals on Zalanthas?

There are chalton herds for leather and meat, and escru herds for wool and milk, and barakhan lizards for eggs.

Loose RL comparisons would be cows, sheep, and chickens. :)

Small lizards seem to be a fairly common pet. There's also bugs and birds. However, most people in Zalanthas don't have the means to keep both themselves and an extraneous animal alive.

More to your original point, I can't think of anything that fits the farm-dog and farm-cat roles (protection/alarm and vermin control, respectively) off the top of my head. Maybe bigger lizards?

July 25, 2013, 11:05:18 PM #3 Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:08:09 PM by i can haz mantis
There's all kinds of small, non-animated animals available throughout the Known for purchase as a pet. Just be sure to check all the shops in your particular area or even use IC means to find out what else may be out there.

You could also have a vnpc pet that you animate through your own emotes. Say your PC found a gortok pup, still hairless and wet with afterbirth that perhaps it's tok parents thought wasn't viable so left it and took the others into their den. And your PC found it, took it in, and raised it.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

There are also quirri, which are sort of like cats, but are generally only kept by the higher classes if at all.

Anakore   Bahamet   Barakhan Lizard   Braxat
Carru   Chalton   Cilops   Cockroach
Duskhorn   Erdlu   Escru   Gaj
Gortok   Goudra   Greth   Gurth
Gwoshi   Inix   Jakhal   Jozhal
Kank   Mekillot   Quirri   Raptor
Ratlon   Rats   Salt Worm   Scrab
Shik   Silt Flyer   Silt Horror   Skeet
Sunback   Tandu   Tarantula   Tembo
Tregil   Vestric   War Beetle

If you go the page I linked you can click on each one and get a description.

Quote from: Erythil on July 26, 2013, 05:22:46 AM
There are also quirri, which are sort of like cats, but are generally only kept by the higher classes if at all.

Quirri arn't domesticated to that level.

It's like having a tiger for a pet. Even for rich people it's extremely uncommon.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

July 26, 2013, 11:23:08 AM #7 Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:36:29 PM by BuNutzCola
edit: nm
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind out iiiiiccccccccccc

:)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

According to the helpfile, jozhals are sometimes kept as pets.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 25, 2013, 11:03:46 PM
Small lizards seem to be a fairly common pet.

Small lizards are certainly used for pest control. They just handle the Earth-sized insects, not the Zalanthan-sized ones.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I seem to remember barakan (sp) lizards being kept as pets for their singing as well as for their eggs.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

If you get an animal object, please remember to treat it realistically. I.e. don't wear it through sparring and combat and explosions and what not.

Quote from: Wug on July 29, 2013, 02:44:47 AM
If you get an animal object, please remember to treat it realistically. I.e. don't wear it through sparring and combat and explosions and what not.

Hehehe, I remember doing this when I first started. And then it exploded against a wall, and I didn't realize it was staff, so I picked it up and put it back on my shoulder cause its description didn't seem to change. Oh that was a great day and I felt truely stupid for not catching on to what was going on.
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on July 26, 2013, 08:51:29 AM
Quote from: Erythil on July 26, 2013, 05:22:46 AM

Quirri arn't domesticated to that level.

It's like having a tiger for a pet. Even for rich people it's extremely uncommon.

More like a bob cat or cougar.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I once had a delf that kept a cheotan and a hawk as a pet in her home cave then one day I log in to see:

Several feathers are scattered around covered in blood.
A cheotan lizard sits with its mouth covered in blood and a feather sticking out of its maw.

Even when I rp'd taking it out on hunts to feed it. Was still shocking and made me laugh at the same time.

Thanks, Looonsh.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

LOL

I think one of my saddest Armageddon moments was when my character held a quiet little funeral for a Lord's beloved pet lizard.

Quote from: i can haz mantis on July 29, 2013, 10:52:06 AM
I once had a delf that kept a cheotan and a hawk as a pet in her home cave then one day I log in to see:

Several feathers are scattered around covered in blood.
A cheotan lizard sits with its mouth covered in blood and a feather sticking out of its maw.

Even when I rp'd taking it out on hunts to feed it. Was still shocking and made me laugh at the same time.

Thanks, Looonsh.

That's fucking brilliant.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I've seen a number of people bring gurth, jozhal, goudra etc back to their apartments in cities before, whilst thinking hey yeah thats cool.. I highly doubt landlords would and agree at having them in their places on the way in!
A staff member sends:
     "You can quit ooc - or if you want I can kill <character name>, that'd definitely reset it."

When I was a new player, I played an animal loving ranger.  I had in my apartment:

1 quirri
2 goudra
1 gimpka rat

I think I may have had some kind of reptile (a gurth?) or something as well, not sure.

When staff noticed, there was a severe uproar in my apartment, as the animals began eating my food, destroying my furniture, killing each other, and pooping on the floor.  I was upset at the time, but I laugh now.  Boys and girls: don't collect animals in your apartment, it never ends well.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

July 30, 2013, 04:25:22 PM #20 Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:27:49 PM by Morrolan
Quote from: LauraMars on July 30, 2013, 04:20:05 PM
Boys and girls: don't collect living animals in your apartment, it never ends well.

>Craft pet into cash

Also (pet peeve) it's animal-loving ranger. "Animal loving ranger" is a half-elf's love life.  ;D
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I wish there was a taxidermy skill in Arm.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

chuck testa
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Maso on July 30, 2013, 04:27:30 PM
I wish there was a taxidermy skill in Arm.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: LauraMars on July 30, 2013, 04:20:05 PM
When I was a new player, I played an animal loving ranger.  I had in my apartment:

1 quirri
2 goudra
1 gimpka rat

I think I may have had some kind of reptile (a gurth?) or something as well, not sure.

When staff noticed, there was a severe uproar in my apartment, as the animals began eating my food, destroying my furniture, killing each other, and pooping on the floor.  I was upset at the time, but I laugh now.  Boys and girls: don't collect animals in your apartment, it never ends well.

I was about to say holy shit!  How BIG was the apartment?  That musta been aloooottaa poop to clean up :P
A staff member sends:
     "You can quit ooc - or if you want I can kill <character name>, that'd definitely reset it."