"High Light"

Started by ScarletteFyre, July 24, 2013, 05:07:42 AM

Quote from: KankWhisperer on July 24, 2013, 09:21:37 AM
There was a time when shade and water was the only saying. Sometimes you'd be clever and say shade and something relevant to that person. Shade and profits to a merchant. Then the player base became infatuated with a certain tribe's vernacular. Then the whole light and shadow thing came a long. That's my memory anyway. It's a shame about the whole tribal thing and his shadow thing, because I still greatly prefer shade and water.

My unaffiliated characters still say this, and they say it in both cities. I think I've only been reprimanded once for it on a 10 month lived character.

Quote from: LauraMars on July 24, 2013, 12:06:19 PM
Am I the only one who kinda likes the idea of saying "High Light" to someone as a parting phrase?

Be the change.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on July 24, 2013, 12:16:35 PM
Am I the only one who kinda likes the idea of saying "High Light" to someone as a parting phrase?

Be the change.

Done.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Then you can be a high light-er.

/ducks thrown objects

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 24, 2013, 12:02:09 PM

I have heard tribal's say Smooth sands, Sweet waters, Bright days, in the north.

Some of these, while occasionally used by others, could be clan specific. Doesn't mean that they are the only ones that can speak it...just that things originate from certain clans and may have associations for some people. Should be kept in mind.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on July 24, 2013, 12:57:43 PM

I have heard tribal's say Smooth sands, Sweet waters, Bright days, in the north.

Some of these, while occasionally used by others, could be clan specific. Doesn't mean that they are the only ones that can speak it...just that things originate from certain clans and may have associations for some people. Should be kept in mind.

With tribal's its difficult. Usually I will wait for them to say the parting word first and then I will respond in the same way. Unless its someone my character already knows and then the PC already knows how to give a parting word to that PC.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 24, 2013, 01:35:46 PM

With tribal's its difficult. Usually I will wait for them to say the parting word first and then I will respond in the same way. Unless its someone my character already knows and then the PC already knows how to give a parting word to that PC.

But they're just Tribals! They're  like a step up from elves with round ears ! Who cares what they say. They should be grateful you talk to them at all! In fact it's a miracle you found one to stay vertical long enough to chat with. Unless you're saying bye after sex. In that case I think the correct words of parting are- Whats you're name again?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 24, 2013, 01:35:46 PM

I think how each of your characters responds to different cultures should be different and carefully considered. Whether they choose to adopt certain cultural mannerisms, customs and phrases in their presence as a sign of respect vs. holding their head up and sticking to their own customs says something about your characters. You should try to avoid doing anything a particular way all the time with all your characters.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

In addition to the phrases, here's a document about Tuluki roleplay that you might find interesting if you've not read it before.

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Tuluki%20Roleplay