Crafts

Started by Silent Bob, August 29, 2003, 07:06:54 PM

If you are a craftsman in something is there a place to know a little about what you are supposed to know?  Ie Say you can make weapons.  Is there a place with some formulas or ideas so you know what to collect in order to make something?

Not really.  The helpfiles for most skills (strangely, not spearmaking) will give you a few hints.

QuoteSKILL_KNIFEMAKING
Skilled crafters and those accustomed to the use of knives are often able to produce such implements from raw materials.

Syntax:
    craft (item1) (item2) into (desired result)

Example:
    > craft shard into obsidian knife
    > craft granite into crude stone knife
    > craft gloves claws into anakore claw gloves

Other than that, you have to be creative.  You can try to find a teacher IC, you have apprentice level skills, so you might try actually being someone's apprentice.  You can look for websites about whatever craft you are attempting, sometimes finding out how people do/did it in real life will give you hints about what to try in the game.  Check the archive forum for a thread with a bunch of crafting links.  Or you can just collect all kinds of things and try "craft <object>" until you find things that work, the last resort of the desperate.

Good luck.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

The helpfiles have alittle bit of help, although not much. And beyond that, is basically emailing the MUD, and maybe they can help you with some basic stuff.

For the most part, thats pretty in character stuff and a bad idea to discuss on the board and such. Some people prefer to learn completely on their own, although it's quite distressing sometimes, I got to admit it's MUCH more... Hmm... Whatever the feeling is when you acctually succeed at something, then if someone tells you how to do it.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"Some people prefer to learn completely on their own, although it's quite distressing sometimes, I got to admit it's MUCH more... Hmm... Whatever the feeling is when you acctually succeed at something, then if someone tells you how to do it.

Satisfaction?  Achievement?  Fulfillment?  Pride in accomplishment?  Smugness?

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

What I would like to see is a list of things able to be crafted. It's hard for a weaponsmith to work, since there are so many non craftable items in the game. Not to mention that weapons are expensive, so you can't really go along and buy different swords and analyze them to figure out how to work it.

But other than that, you can usually figure out how to craft something from its desc if your analyze sucks.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

What would be helpful is if a crafter, or if you will, a person who has the ability to craft an object could tell while browsing in the shops.

For example, a line of code that would help you if:
List
01  Shard of obsidian

View #01
blah  
blah
blah
You might be able to craft  xxxx from this

etc.   I know because it hurts when you buy that 700 sid piece of diamond and can't use it.

At the very least I think it would be awesome if the fact that you could craft something into something else would be made clear to you when you are viewing it in a merchant's inventory.  

view pelt

This pelt is green and purple with blue polka-dots.  Its underside has some shit on it.
You could craft an ugly-ass hat out of a blue and green pelt.

Basically, the output from holding the item and typing `craft itemname` would be appended to the 'view item output'.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that doesn't sound hard to code.  And I also think it is perfectly realistic given that nothing magickal happens to a hide after you buy it to when you type craft itemname and you suddenly realize you could make something out of it when you weren't quite sure before you laid down the coin.

QuoteBasically, the output from holding the item and typing `craft itemname` would be appended to the 'view item output'.

That would be godly. The best part is that it doesn't really spoil the deeper part of the crafting code, where you combine multiple items to build something.

Damn good idea, CRW.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Last I checked there buckaroo, I posted the idea first.  Gimme some props homey.

Since Carnage is a 21ster, I'm going with him. Good idea CRW.

And Hammie2 I've seen the idea before... I'm sure... Many times in the short time I've been Arming.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

It is possible to also 'Talk' to some NPCs, and some of them might have information on how to craft certain things. Look around in game, and explore the world. ;)

If you find an NPC that doesn't have some sort of talk program on them, and think they should, feel free to use the 'idea' command on the NPC, with the rest of your idea (possible subject matter, etc). Conversely, you can write it all up yourself, and mail it to the Mud, at mud@ginka.armageddon.org.

-Tlaloc
Tlaloc
Legend