Where do I get my info?

Started by Micro102, July 09, 2013, 08:03:21 AM

July 09, 2013, 08:03:21 AM Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:15:15 AM by Micro102
Seeing as how no NPCs are capable of talking when asked about just about anything, even the location of their own guild's main buildings, I was wonder exactly how I'm suppose to figure out where anything is. Do I just have to wait until that help button appears at the bottom of the screen, then ask them?

Also, is there a visual map somewhere on the net, and if so, should I know it? Because I would find it odd if I just poofed into existence with the area's accent without knowing a thing about it. All I can find is the one on the main site, but it seems incomplete.

You'll typically find the people who might be recruiting in taverns during times that make sense (IC "night" hours), and more often than not during "peak" times (6-10 pm server time, as listed on armageddon.org's mainpage).

There are maps available in game typing 'help map allanak', 'help map tuluk', etc for the cities. They are purposely vague.

You might also wish to edit that bit about where you're seeking to work out, as it's considered IC information and thus against forum rules to post.

I hope that helped. Welcome to Armageddon!
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Ah thanks.

As for the IC info, I'll remove it. But it's not like anyone knows my IC name, so it's more like "someone is looking for work somewhere". I wouldn't take that as having an effect on the game.

All bars have message boards (the reading thereof is an ooc activity. You can think of the info you glean there as things your pc has found out by word of mouth.) They are useful for the job hunt who what wheres.
For navigation try this:
http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/maps 
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Some NPCs can talk to you through the "discuss" dialog: http://armageddon.org/help/view/Discuss . You can try "discuss topics" with an NPC and if they're able to respond, they'll tell you what they can talk to you about. In Armageddon, however, the main action for your PC is going to be with other PCs. NPCs won't be the ones giving you quests or jobs or plots, that's all PCs.

You can get a map in game as outlined above, they are also available through the website, e.g. http://armageddon.org/help/view/Map%20Allanak .
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on July 09, 2013, 09:58:11 AM
Some NPCs can talk to you through the "discuss" dialog: http://armageddon.org/help/view/Discuss . You can try "discuss topics" with an NPC and if they're able to respond, they'll tell you what they can talk to you about.

While this is a way to get information, I have to caution you that this information is often out of date.  We've bounced around ideas to improve that but just take that info with a grain of salt.  The "rumor boards" are your place for up-to-date information!

Welcome to Armageddon!
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Welcome, I hope you enjoy the game and the awesome players we have here.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on July 09, 2013, 11:10:25 AM
Welcome, I hope you enjoy the game and the awesome players we have here.

I wear a size six. Do me a favor and visit the Salarri tailor before we go salting together.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Ha, ha, ha....you misquoted though.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on July 09, 2013, 11:29:06 AM

No no, I was telling him what you really meant heh.  ;D (I haven't worn anything with a single digit since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.)

Quote from: Desertman on July 09, 2013, 11:34:17 AM
Quote from: Barsook on July 09, 2013, 11:29:06 AM

No no, I was telling him what you really meant heh.  ;D (I haven't worn anything with a single digit since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.)

I see.
Fredd-

Quote from: Nyr on July 09, 2013, 10:42:17 AM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on July 09, 2013, 09:58:11 AM
Some NPCs can talk to you through the "discuss" dialog: http://armageddon.org/help/view/Discuss . You can try "discuss topics" with an NPC and if they're able to respond, they'll tell you what they can talk to you about.

While this is a way to get information, I have to caution you that this information is often out of date.  We've bounced around ideas to improve that but just take that info with a grain of salt.  The "rumor boards" are your place for up-to-date information!

Welcome to Armageddon!

Not to correct you or anything, Nyr...but I'm going to correct you A TINY BIT :) There are NPCs in the game whose information is extremely up-to-date. E.g. recently when warehouses were added, NPCs were added to handle that, and their information is good. There are other circumstances like that in the game--certain shopkeepers and so on. However, on the other side--nearly anything a tavern bartender NPC says is not going to be up-to-date.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

http://www.armageddon.org/original/author/Armageddon%20Collaborative%20Commu

The link there will take you to a list of commonly known clan insignia and uniforms too. This might help with your pc's search for work.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

To clarify- I mentioned the IC message board above. They aren't really used as a back and forth method of communication. They are useful because there are often posts that tell you which organizations are recruiting and who to contact from those organizations.

If you think about it it's like how Merrill Lynch can take out full page adds in the NY times when they are hiring, but most people do not even place an add on Craigslist when they are looking. (I hope the analogy makes sense. )
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Maybe we should get a submissions request in place to put in some universally up to date discussion topics for NPC's.

Some things are almost always going to be the same throughout the ages and we could update NPC's with discussion topics like that.

Where certain places are located. A little bit about the npc specifically.

Like in Skyrim when you talk to people and they tell you a little about themselves, or don't, or tell you a little about the building/area they are in specifically.

Things that wouldn't be prone to changing over time.

Today is just my day for proposing changes and projects with questionable payoff and a lot of work.

I've found the biggest wealth of IC knowledge and just basic game related stuff that isn't generally talked about are the clan-associated forums.

Also yes D-man that would own.