Author Topic: Common Slang: Collaboration  (Read 36834 times)

Barzalene

Re: Common Slang: Collaboration
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
Sometimes a week is called a "ten-day" (I guess this is because there are ten days in a Zalanthas week)

There are eleven days in a week.

Right, I guess it just sounds better than an eleven day, idk.
I have never heard of a 'ten-day', or an 'eleven-day' for that matter. Where is this common?

This phrase had a lot more traction about ten years ago. I haven't heard it recently.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

bcw81

• Helper
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
Sometimes a week is called a "ten-day" (I guess this is because there are ten days in a Zalanthas week)

There are eleven days in a week.

Right, I guess it just sounds better than an eleven day, idk.
I have never heard of a 'ten-day', or an 'eleven-day' for that matter. Where is this common?

This phrase had a lot more traction about ten years ago. I haven't heard it recently.
Huh. The more you know.

That said, I haven't heard it once in near on four years of play.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »
Yeah, I also recall hearing the term 'ten-day' a long time ago as a code word for OOCly referring to RL tomorrow.

These days, people say 'week' as OOC code for a RL day, and 'half-month' as OOC code for a RL week.

I'm not sure if this counts as slang, but it's certainly something a newbie would like to know about.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »
If it's not used commonly, then no, it's not.

Something that came up in my recent interactions with a very new player: 

finding <someone's> mind = contacting <someone> via the Way
This, however, is an excellent inclusion.

Barzalene

« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
Week and half month are used commonly.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Marauder Moe

« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
Oh, thought he was referring to "ten-day" still.  My bad, if so.

Gimfalisette

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2013, 04:20:53 PM »
Didn't time in the game used to slide around somewhat, before Tiernan's fix? (I think it was him.) If that's the case, then perhaps "ten-day" is from that period and is more of an approximation than a literal attempt to count time. And/or, maybe a 24 hour Earth day used to equate to 10 Zalanthan days rather than the 16 it does now.
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »
The time slippage was generally during resets.  A "week" still meant a RL day back then, but a "month" meant just one RL week because the game would usually skip forward half a Zalanthan calendar month during the Saturday downtime.

Drayab

• Helper
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Yeah, my musing was more on whether or not 'week' and 'half-month' as used IG should be included in a slang help file, especially since we're trying to keep it concise. Arguably, this information is already in the time help file. On the other hand, these are phrases that get used quite a bit (discounting 'ten-day' as an archaic term), so it might be good to include them for that reason, even if they are technically ICly used code words for convenient OOC planning, rather than strictly-defined IC slang.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
Ten-day hasn't been used since time was standardized IIRC.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Kismetic

« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »
I still don't see "The Post" for Luir's Outpost as an inclusion, despite pointing it out awhile ago ...  and despite its inclusion in documentation.  Maybe you oughta toss that in there for the greenhorns that don't read all the docs.
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

Riya OniSenshi

« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »
That only refers to Liur's as "'Post" (note the apostrophe before Post) once, and only well after it's established it's in reference to Liur's Oupost.
As there are other outposts in the game, it's not necessarily an exclusive reference to Liur's.

It's similar to those that think the Firestorm Pub can merely be referred to as "Pub" and not cause confusion.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
I think The Outpost refers to Luirs more than "the Post".  Firestorm for the Pub.

Kismetic

« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
And there are other things than conflict to occupy visitors. Nearly everywhere you go in the 'Post you'll smell the pungent scent of someone smoking spice, House Kurac's main ware. Gambling, prostitution, and heavy drinking also feature prominently in this frontier outpost's entertainment.

There you go.  :)

Anyway, I see it used often enough to be considered slang for the world's most popular outpost (hint:  it's not Blackwing, full of dead muls or formerly owned by Salarr (now gith)).
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer