Advice for new players

Started by ShaLeah, May 30, 2013, 05:20:32 PM

My advice for new Arm players... Pay no attention to the GDB

I played for almost a decade before becoming a part of the General Discussion Board... and I use that term loooosly

Play your characters, explore the limits of the world, realize that you can do anything we can do in the real world and then some... and when you die within the first hour... sprint back to your dead corpse to pick up the... oh wait.. no nevermind. :P

Practice makes... acceptable.  Every once in a while a true Arm player is born, and their stories go on to become legendary.

Who's next?
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I agree with Perfecto. I played for quite a while before I started getting on the GDB.
For me, playing the game is inversely related to posting on the Discussion board.

The more I do of one, the less I enjoy the other.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

For me reading the GDB gets me excited to play. Not everyone is the same.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 08, 2013, 06:17:33 PM
For me reading the GDB gets me excited to play. Not everyone is the same.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the GDB, I bet I would have stopped playing this game a long time ago.

It's when I see posts referring to a huge influx of newbies or someone mentioning something majorly cool happening to them that I'm tempted to play once more.

As if anyone believes that FantasyWriter is really enjoying his break, anyway  ::)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Don't let the GDB make you cynical. You'll enjoy the game more if you think the best of everyone's intentions.

Quote from: Delirium on June 08, 2013, 06:42:23 PM
Don't let the GDB make you cynical. You'll enjoy the game more if you think the best of everyone's intentions.

Right before they take your boots.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Yeah, the GDB is actually a pretty small portion of the active usebase of Arm. There just a few of us loudmouths who like to express our opinion on everything. Always keep that in mind.

I tend to type up long winded rants (most of which, believe it or not, just get deleted) or read posts when nothing is going on in the game... Rather than sitting there getting irritated.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

It helps a lot if you join the GDB the moment you join a clan. The rest of it, you can leave alone. But a moderately active clan-boarding makes it more enjoyable for everyone imo.

As for advice: don't get too emotionally invested in your character or your character's friends. They will die or disappear, all of them. You don't want it to affect RL -too- much.

Quote from: Hitsuchi on June 09, 2013, 04:07:55 AM

As for advice: don't get too emotionally invested in your character or your character's friends. They will die or disappear, all of them. You don't want it to affect RL -too- much.

I gotta disagree with this one. Sure, it makes it worse when your character/their friends die, but I feel it adds so much to the game if you do let yourself get emotionally attached. Also, I can't help it either way, maybe.  :P

Don't fear the mantis.   More ox bell.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on June 09, 2013, 07:46:14 PM
Don't fear the mantis.   More ox bell.

Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Do not play this game if you have a heart condition.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

June 14, 2013, 09:33:38 PM #64 Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:36:47 PM by Harmless
Quote from: Maso on June 06, 2013, 02:32:17 PM
Don't take anything personally.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Don't drink and mud. I do this, but I've been doing it for a long time, still doesn't change the fact that every time I do it my character is playing russian roulette.

Don't get 'medicated' and play Arm. This only applies to Californian residents and uhh...Dutch folk.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on June 15, 2013, 01:14:53 PM
Don't get 'medicated' and play Arm. This only applies to Californian residents and uhh...Dutch folk.

Or Denver, the land with a dispensary on every block.

June 15, 2013, 06:34:43 PM #68 Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:37:03 PM by AmandaGreathouse
Quote from: Maso on June 15, 2013, 01:14:53 PM

Stoppit! I get medicated and play arm all the time! If anything, it's 10x more engrossing. Just... don't get so medicated you can't function. Because then it can be a task to keep up with what's going on if you tend to multitask a lot IC.

Edit to add actual help and advice:

If you're playing a crafter type, join a GMH that does your type of crafts.
If you're playing a combat oriented pc... join the byn.
If you're playing a sneaky... find someone sneaky to learn the ins and outs of it.

I know it sounds trite, in some cases, but there's a reason people suggest it. It'll help you learn what you're doing not just on a coded level, but also on the level of what part that sort of thing plays in the game world, which is invaluable experience for later.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

^

I tried that, once.

It didn't end well. At all.

Now, I give myself at least uh...let's say, 3 hours? before I start playing Arm again.

Rule of thumb: unless your character's fucked up, don't get fucked up.

I once got so fucked up I [redacted] and thought I was in [redacted] after getting [redacted] by [redacted]. Needless to say, my character didn't last very long afterwards, but it sure was [redacted] and I enjoyed it immensely. I even got kudos, sweet.

Quote from: Delirium on June 15, 2013, 06:37:11 PM
Rule of thumb: unless your character's fucked up, don't get fucked up.
Once you acquire enough experience while playing drunk you play pretty much the same, only more creative and awesomely.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

ive had good experiences playing intoxicated

GAWD, once you have enough experience typing drunk, your spelling might be the last thing to go, then everyone else figures you're trolling or hideously insane, seen it happen chatting with people more than once. Oh, you can't be drunk, your spelling is flawless. Oh, yes I can, I can also type "bash" HAHA!