Advice for new players

Started by ShaLeah, May 30, 2013, 05:20:32 PM

Quote from: ShaLeah on May 31, 2013, 12:25:35 AM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 31, 2013, 12:14:50 AM
Play someone stupid. Not lethally stupid, but someone who has an excuse not to know about the wider world.

My first char had amnesia, as did my come back from hiatus char. Gives you a little leeway.

Another option, at least in Allanak, is to play the dumb country hick. You can say you're from one of the farming villages outside the city, and of course you never actually left the village and came to Allanak until now.

Don't be yourself. Act! Be anybody else you want to. Because nobody is stopping you.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

It can always be played out in character.  Don't be afraid to try, and be true to your character!
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Quote from: Lutagar on May 31, 2013, 07:37:55 AM
Unless you've intentionally made a recklessly hostile character, don't be too eager to throw your weight around. There will ALWAYS be something bigger and badder than you out there.

This is true, always approach with caution, respect, and an intent to kill or be killed (don't NOT try to kill someone who could ruin you later, always murder, and be sure and swift, if they get away, they get to plot on you later). Sometimes, though, approaching a group of salters with "Hi guys! Saw you salting and thought you could use another pair of eyes!" could be mutually beneficial, though more often than not they will do the smart thing and run away, because, really, why would anyone do that? They must be after our fucking salt!!! OMG RUN!

Nevermind some of us grebbers just get tired of picking up rocks and want to make friends, no, couldn't be that. Truth is we're after yer boots. Maybe we're even weaker than the other grebbers in your group...

All that said, don't be that dumbass that just tries to kill someone without thinking of the consequences. Like, hey, my legs are shorter, what if he outruns me? What then? Maybe he knows some people? Maybe I should not draw sword kill dude because it might get me killed a week or two from now. Find out who that guy is, and who he knows, before you go recklessly waving a sword about. This is the best thing you can ask yourself, is my paranoia justified enough to try to kill this person? Is my hate? Chances are, it isn't. Run, then ask around.

And then, there is that one badass grebber you may not have seen coming, underequipped, with just enough to swiftly end your life, just trying to be friends, and you think, I bet I could get his boots. Mantishead. Bad choice there, bucko.

Know when to trust, but keep a wary eye on the newcomer...
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Fade to black.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Check your inventory. Over and over.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Join a clan, preferably the Byn or a Great Merchant House (GMH). It's an easier way to find camaraderie and seek advice, in a world where everyone has their eyes on your boots. You might still die in the desert (especially if it's the Byn you joined), but you won't die alone and you'll learn more from that death than you otherwise would.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

June 02, 2013, 11:37:45 AM #34 Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:39:26 AM by Norcal
Hmm. Advice.

Read the documents

Get ready to die

When you do, read the documents again.

Repeat as needed.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

If you make a stealthy pc (Burglar/Pickpocket/Assassin) Find an IG mentor. These guilds take more finesse then other types, and if you don't learn to do it right...You will fail.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Don't rely on any skills success in a dangerous situation unless it is 'Mastered'. And even then be prepared to deal with the inevitable fail.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 02, 2013, 07:34:32 PM
Don't rely on any skills success in a dangerous situation unless it is 'Mastered'. And even then be prepared to deal with the inevitable fail.

Deviously, the frilly, foppish man says to you, in southern-accented sirihish:
"Yesssss, we want you to infiltrate this mob of peasants."

>say (grinning ear to ear)  I think I can get inside your mob just fine.
Grinning ear to ear, you say to the frilly, foppish man in sirihish:
"I think I can get inside your mob just fine."

The frilly, foppish man stares at you.

You notice:  The frilly, foppish man's eyes have cold murder in them.

>say What?
You say in sirihish:
"What?"

sk languages
sirihish                           (advanced)

think  Aw, shit.

Quote from: musashi on May 30, 2013, 07:25:21 PM
Quote from: Maso on May 30, 2013, 06:02:38 PM
Start in Allanak.

I played rangers as a newb. Tuluk was much, much more satisfying to be a newbie ranger in.

I agree. Although maybe I would recommend playing a warrior. Ranger has some nice abilities, but they aren't quite as straight forward as "walk into the room, lay mayhem".

My bit of advice for every roleplaying MUD would be: don't make an edgy, mysterious young man. Cool in fiction, cool in film, absolutely overused in MUDs.

Log everything!

If you don't already have client that will log, I suggest you get one.  Any of the major clients should do this.  You might even be able to set it up to automatically log and name your log based on the date.  If you can do this, I suggest that.  This will save you all kinds of trouble trying to remember things, and in case something interesting happens you can always look it back up.  It's a pain to do but the rewards are lasting.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Barsook on May 30, 2013, 07:11:59 PM
Don't play a merchant unless you know how to play one.

If you don't know how to play a merchant, roll one and join a GMH to learn how.

edit: But, whatever you do, don't start out in the south as a noob merchant. It's Armageddon Nightmare Mode.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Advice: Avoid the GDB and do not associate with other players OOC through messenger applications.
Quote from: staff
A staff member sends:
     "Likely a flub in the machine. It does not understand birthdays! (But it understands death like no one's business.)"

I have found the south a land of plenty, despite the lack of shrubberies.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I'm definetly going to have to +1 the start in allanak advice.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Don't take anything personally.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on June 06, 2013, 02:32:17 PM

This a million times. ANYTHING.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 06, 2013, 03:16:58 PM
Quote from: Maso on June 06, 2013, 02:32:17 PM

This a million times. ANYTHING.

I still hate you.  >:(

Don't let half-elves into your heart they will just leave you like all the others  :'(