Advice for new players

Started by ShaLeah, May 30, 2013, 05:20:32 PM

If you had to give one piece of advice to all new players, what would it be?

I can't make up my mind yet, so I'll wait for other answers to make my noodle bake.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Join the Byn as a warrior or ranger.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Never trust an elf.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Make a PC that isn't a loner and find a mentor to hang out with the first several weeks.

Then help other newbies later on to pay it forward.

man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Start in Allanak.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

alias k keyword
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Maso on May 30, 2013, 06:02:38 PM
Start in Allanak.

I did as a noob and never regretted it.

Find militia or the Byn to join and learn who's who, what's what and get a feel for the world, the people in it and even if emoting scares you, watch others first until you get more comfortable.

Notepad/Keynote/whatever becomes your friend.

Oh god, yes, start in Nak... Just, maybe not the rinth, that's where I started my first character and he lasted three hours, not sure if what killed him was a kill-crazy PC or NPC. Other characters started further north because of Nak's documented reputation, but subtlety isn't really my thing, and Nak is, really, a friendly, warm, fuzzy place, despite what the Sun King's minions would tell you. Plus, we have monster mount rallies. The most exciting thing to happen in Tuluk is some drunk guy taking a dump in the sanctuary, and then he disappears. No one knows why...

Don't be afraid to trust. You may die, it's true, but if you don't you will be rewarded, with gifts that keep giving.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Think of your cjaracters as real people, not toons.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on May 30, 2013, 06:06:12 PM
alias k keyword
K already goes to keyword.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on May 30, 2013, 06:26:32 PM
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on May 30, 2013, 06:06:12 PM
alias k keyword
K already goes to keyword.

Irrelevant to the question asked.
Redundant measures are not necessarily a bad thing.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Don't play a merchant unless you know how to play one.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Maso on May 30, 2013, 06:02:38 PM
Start in Allanak.

I played rangers as a newb. Tuluk was much, much more satisfying to be a newbie ranger in.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'm gonna go with "The meanness of the world is not seen as meanness by the population, it is their norm."
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

May 30, 2013, 07:57:23 PM #16 Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:59:48 PM by Morrolan

"You must unlearn what you have learned."

Seriously. Every non-RP game has told you that you're the hero, the invincible one.

On Zalanthas, you're not special. And this is what keeps me coming back.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

May 30, 2013, 08:05:40 PM #17 Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:07:54 PM by Fujikoma
I'm going to go with, stop being such a weirdo and get into some serious shit, but, learn to be quiet about it, I still haven't learned that.

shout YAHOO! I'm the world's greatest assassin and I just snuck up on all of you! (whisper blackstar Didn't you just give your position away entirely? This is not what a great assassin would do.)

What's difficult is learning when to be quiet, and when to speak, I think. Personally, I get told I talk too much, AND I DO! But I'm slowly learning. Least I haven't killed anyone else by being a big-mouthed jerk. Yet...
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Still a newbie, but a good tip is: use the map and explore for a while.  It helps to get the feel and vibe of the city down and know where all the spots are.

Play someone stupid. Not lethally stupid, but someone who has an excuse not to know about the wider world.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 31, 2013, 12:14:50 AM
Play someone stupid. Not lethally stupid, but someone who has an excuse not to know about the wider world.

My first char had amnesia, as did my come back from hiatus char. Gives you a little leeway.

One piece of advice... now that's tough..

I would have to say:

Don't be scared.

This relates to every aspect of Armageddon.

Don't be worried about what so and so is going to think of you if you make your character a little quirky and that you don't want people to hate you.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't figure things out. There is the helpers chat, and there is this GDB. The worse answer you will get is "Sorry, you have to find out IC."

Don't be afraid to have fun! You don't have to wait to be a super thief to steal shit. So you get caught, it happens.

Don't be afraid to  LIE ------ LIE your ass off. Just remember to keep track of your web of lies.

Don't be afraid to DIE ------ Its going to happen, get over it.

Don't be afraid of STAFF ----  They are your friend, mostly.... Make character reports, use the request tool. They don't bite.

I am sure there are other things to not be afraid of. But in general, don't be afraid, just dive headlong in and go for gold.... erm sorry in this mud we don't go for gold, we go for Sid.
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: hatchets on May 31, 2013, 02:34:50 AM
Don't be afraid of STAFF ----  They are your friend, mostly.... Make character reports, use the request tool. They don't bite.

Don't lie to the newbies. Staff absolutely will bite. Often and unprovoked. The important thing to remember is that it's not personal though. The game world is harsh, and they're reflecting that IC.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

May 31, 2013, 03:15:18 AM #23 Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:19:04 AM by Morrolan
Quote from: musashi on May 31, 2013, 02:44:59 AM
Quote from: hatchets on May 31, 2013, 02:34:50 AM
Don't be afraid of STAFF ----  They are your friend, mostly.... Make character reports, use the request tool. They don't bite.

Don't lie to the newbies. Staff absolutely will bite. Often and unprovoked. The important thing to remember is that it's not personal though. The game world is harsh, and they're reflecting that IC.

In my experience, Staff will bite in only two circumstances:

• In play
  • When you bite first

But let's not go down that road. Someone just post the .gif of the guy beating the dead horse, and we can move on.

P.S. If you, as a player, feel that you have been dealt with unfairly on an OOC level, please be sure to submit the situation for staff review.

If you feel that your character has been dealt with unfairly IG, then please see The Rules.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Unless you've intentionally made a recklessly hostile character, don't be too eager to throw your weight around. There will ALWAYS be something bigger and badder than you out there.