How do you feel about PC killing?

Started by Wastrel, May 30, 2013, 03:53:34 PM

I don't know about your IRL experience, but I've found it very difficult to hit an unpredictably moving target... And I think rifles are more reliable than bows.

That said, if you can shoot me, kudos. If you can't, you need to stop thinking with your arrows and use your brain. No offense intended.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 27, 2013, 03:08:12 PM
I don't know about your IRL experience, but I've found it very difficult to hit an unpredictably moving target... And I think rifles are more reliable than bows.

That said, if you can shoot me, kudos. If you can't, you need to stop thinking with your arrows and use your brain. No offense intended.

Well and good, but this is directly countered by the 'If I can kill you I will because I earned it.'  Not that that's bad.  I can't really reiterate enough that deaths in this game promote just as much RP as mercy, when you zoom out and view the big picture instead of keeping trained on -your- character and -your- plot, etc etc.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Understand that my selfish nature, and by extension, my character's selfish nature, will always trump the noble notion of just standing there and letting you shoot them... We can debate the merits or bad bits all day. Still, if you just walk up and say "Huh, shitty weather out here today." you've done most of the work needed already, without wasting an arrow. Is that too much to ask?

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 27, 2013, 03:08:12 PM

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make. Going n,w,n,w is not "zig-zagging" like in real life. You're literally covering hundreds of yards of terrain with each movement. It's also completely pointless to do if you're trying to dodge arrows. All you need to do is run, and that's what I have a problem with. Running is so easy that killing first and asking no questions becomes the norm.

'Running first means I can't ever do shit so I'm forced to kill on sight and shoot anyone I can't help it it's not my fault'

'I'd drop my things and run if they told me to but everyone just attacks on sight so I always just run I can't help it it's not my fault'

See what I did there?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Ahhhh... I see... Yes, I can see how that can be a problem, RGS... Still, if scared for one's life, well, trust me, you can run pretty damned fast when terrified. Also, yeah, arrows send the wrong message... You want meaningful interaction, walk up and threaten, how do I know if you have a buddy out in the bush who is a crack shot with a bow or not, trained on my position and waiting for the smallest movement? I promise I'll stand still if you do something other than open fire with no provocation.

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 27, 2013, 03:40:06 PM
Ahhhh... I see... Yes, I can see how that can be a problem, RGS... Still, if scared for one's life, well, trust me, you can run pretty damned fast when terrified. Also, yeah, arrows send the wrong message... You want meaningful interaction, walk up and threaten, how do I know if you have a buddy out in the bush who is a crack shot with a bow or not, trained on my position and waiting for the smallest movement? I promise I'll stand still if you do something other than open fire with no provocation.

Because the "smallest movement" means you're suddenly moved 1 room away and you don't have to worry about shit from an archer.  :P

The cool thing about this game is that I can keep killing the people around me until I get some that I like (this works really well when playing a Southern Templar).  This may not happen, but it's certainly within the bounds of the laws of probability.  The only real drawback is that they might kill me instead, and I'm not really a fan of that.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I'd think northern Templars get more opportunities to just kill people they don't like, but hey, biased here, so maybe not true.

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 27, 2013, 04:46:10 PM
I'd think northern Templars get more opportunities to just kill people they don't like, but hey, biased here, so maybe not true.

That's possible but I've never heard about a northern templar killing anyone that wasn't an evil person that didn't have it coming anyway(!)

-James Brown

Quote from: Molten Heart on October 27, 2013, 04:49:42 PM
That's possible but I've neverheard about a northern templar killing anyone that wasn't an evil person that didn't have it coming anyway(!)

I see what you did there.  :)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

That's possible but I've never heard about a northern templar killing anyone that wasn't an evil person that didn't have it coming anyway(!)

Did you not just describe half (or maybe more than that, just a rough estimate) the active PC population of the mud?

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 27, 2013, 05:18:56 PM

Did you not just describe half (or maybe more than that, just a rough estimate) the active PC population of the mud?

The (!) is supposed to denote the sarcasm.

-James Brown

Oh, duhr, yes, I've heard that before. I should pay more attention.

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 27, 2013, 03:19:04 PM
Understand that my selfish nature, and by extension, my character's selfish nature....

This troubles me.  Do you only play yourself or do you roleplay other personalities?

Number one, that is not your concern, that is the concern of staff... Number two, no... Still, there are tiny bits I'll never be able to get rid of, but I bet if you could see my thinks, feels, and actions, you'd realize each time it's a new character... With tiny bits of human that are impossible to kill unless you have some kind of severe conscience deficit... And I have to say that sociopath or psychopath is utterly beyond me. Maybe in a few years I can do it, but right now? No.

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 30, 2013, 09:26:21 PM
Number one, that is not your concern, that is the concern of staff... Number two, no... Still, there are tiny bits I'll never be able to get rid of, but I bet if you could see my thinks, feels, and actions, you'd realize each time it's a new character... With tiny bits of human that are impossible to kill unless you have some kind of severe conscience deficit... And I have to say that sociopath or psychopath is utterly beyond me. Maybe in a few years I can do it, but right now? No.

Oh I wasn't gonna say shit about this, but then I changed my mind.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Every PC I play is pretty much me on Zalanthas.

Swimming in mad kudos for it, too.

ShaLeah... I think... Well, if you knew my characters, you'd be a blast.

I can't help but let at least some of my personality bleed into my characters, I think it's pretty normal.

Less so now then when I started. If I set my mind to it I can remove or add certain attributes, but I'm always there somewhere.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on November 01, 2013, 08:35:39 PM
I can't help but let at least some of my personality bleed into my characters, I think it's pretty normal.

If you're even a little bit as awesome as your character, I'd hang out with you  :P
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

It has been a while since I last played a raider...and some of you know who that was.

but as of my last raider, I found that 98% of the time people would stay and RP.. I believe that is because I made it a rule to open with good RP/emotes/tell/shout etc. the onus is on the raider to let the mark know they want a scene.

The same goes for intent to kill...true, the % is lower, but still a majority of the time the mark will play it out if they know that is your desire....sure, they might run, but usually they will emote then run...then spam moves...which is fine.

It is always worthwhile, if you want a scene to let the other player know you do...if you let them know and they just spam away...well, just remember it and don't warn next time.

Keep a log of both times as well, so when they whine to staff you can send righteous logs and they will get the "complaints of unfairness" from staff.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Armaddict on October 27, 2013, 03:11:15 PM
I can't really reiterate enough that deaths in this game promote just as much RP as mercy

Not really true, a lot of the time.  Someone can roll up a mul raider and 86 every character they run across, racking up a huge PK count quickly.

Did they earn this right?  Arguably.  Is it IC for most muls to murder?  Sure.  Are they capable of shredding most PCs from the jump and PK'ing them?  Pretty much.

Does it add anything to the game with this happens?

Not really, honestly, especially when considering alternatives.  And there are alternatives:  Just ask Bushman.

I cannot even count how many mul raiders I have killed.

Maybe half-giant raider or delf or sorc or something would be a better example.

;D
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

November 03, 2013, 09:13:06 AM #424 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:15:33 AM by Kronibas
Quote from: X-D on November 03, 2013, 01:59:11 AM
I cannot even count how many mul raiders I have killed.

Maybe half-giant raider or delf or sorc or something would be a better example.

;D

Was referring to targets with little gear and who are mostly mount less.

Point being, all deaths do not lead to greater RP. Some deaths are just cheeseball because that character wanted to player kill another player.

And the most successful raider clans just... Didn't do that unless the marks ran.