How do you feel about PC killing?

Started by Wastrel, May 30, 2013, 03:53:34 PM

July 02, 2013, 04:32:06 PM #175 Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:34:45 PM by Harmless
Ah, I see. Having never gone on any senseless murder sprees IG, nor ever having heard of anyone or talked to anyone who has, I can't comment on whatever it was you were complaining about.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on July 02, 2013, 04:32:06 PM
Ah, I see. Having never gone on any senseless murder sprees IG, nor ever having heard of anyone or talked to anyone who has, I can't comment on whatever it was you were complaining about.

I don't get how there was a complaint. It was an observation. There was no accusation in it, it was what I've seen so far in game, and at the end, a bit of opinion thrown in.  ???
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Kismetic on July 02, 2013, 04:16:35 PM
I wonder how many players we'd get if it was Goodwill, Accountability, Ginka Fruits ...
I have an urge to sig you once again..
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 02, 2013, 05:20:07 PM

I don't get how there was a complaint. It was an observation. There was no accusation in it, it was what I've seen so far in game, and at the end, a bit of opinion thrown in.  ???

Then you're saying you've "seen senseless murder sprees?" Really? Cause I haven't.

I haven't bore witness to "killing sprees", but I -have- been ganked by relatively long-lived PCs for, well... No reason at all, really. Got a feeling I wasn't the only one in these instances too.

Took a poisoned arrow from a stealthy a few steps outside of Allanak. No interaction. Hadn't even had time to make enemies.

Another time was in the Labyrinth, not even an hour played, still wearing my newbie gear. I was looked at. Guy left the room. Got sapped out of nowhere, dropped to six stam. Barely had time to look at te guy before I dropped. Same dude.  Mantishead.

Rumbled the fuck out of my jim-jams. *grumble*

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 02, 2013, 06:17:42 PM
...a few steps outside of Allanak. ...
Another time was in the Labyrinth, ...

And there's your lesson.

EDIT: OKAY I'll elaborate to be nice. Seriously, it's not WHERE you were, but WHEN you were there. There, hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure Qzzrbl is well familiar with the Labyrinth and its social-political climate because that's the only starting location he uses. He's just bitching.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Harmless on July 02, 2013, 05:53:12 PM
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 02, 2013, 05:20:07 PM

Then you're saying you've "seen senseless murder sprees?" Really? Cause I haven't.

One time, there was this mul who killed a lot of PCs... you might classify it as a spree.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

July 02, 2013, 07:15:51 PM #183 Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:28:10 PM by Nyr
I redacted the whole redacted.  Please use more discretion posting on the GDB.  -Nyr
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 02, 2013, 07:15:51 PM
given the (redacted/redacted)and their (redacted)

This really isn't redacted enough. This is one of those things I found out over the GDB/teamspeak becuase of comments like yours.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 02, 2013, 07:25:07 PM

This really isn't redacted enough. This is one of those things I found out over the GDB/teamspeak becuase of comments like yours.

further vaguened it.

AGH: You should probably have a grace period of 30-40 minutes to think about how IC what you post is. I'm off-hand guessing you've been reported a dozen times for the same offense.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

July 02, 2013, 07:51:32 PM #187 Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:40:43 AM by Qzzrbl
Quote from: Is Friday on July 02, 2013, 06:42:39 PM
I'm pretty sure Qzzrbl is well familiar with the Labyrinth and its social-political climate because that's the only starting location he uses. He's just bitching.

I am, man. But still, nobody should have a reason to off a guy they've never met/seen and still in their Hall of Kings suit.  >:(

None.

I don't care what reason you fabricate to justify it ICly. It's a crappy thing to do.

IMHO

Maybe he was starving to death and needed the 25 coins your corpse is worth. It's the 'rinth, man. You know nothing from your point of view.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 02, 2013, 08:02:16 PM
Maybe he was starving to death and needed the 25 coins your corpse is worth. It's the 'rinth, man. You know nothing from your point of view.

God I wish this ever happened in this game.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Yeah, wow, what?  Why should you care if everyone "hates you on an OOC level" for killing a PC in a game bearing the tagline Murder, Corruption, Betrayal ?

I wonder how many players we'd get if it was Goodwill, Accountability, Ginka Fruits ...

Really, though, Q, what?

IMHO its part of the problem. People come into the game thinking its DeathmatchMUD. When really its a game about role playing relationships with other characters.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on July 02, 2013, 08:06:53 PM
Yeah, wow, what?  Why should you care if everyone "hates you on an OOC level" for killing a PC in a game bearing the tagline Murder, Corruption, Betrayal ?

Really, though, Q, what?

IMHO its part of the problem. People come into the game thinking its DeathmatchMUD. When really its a game about role playing relationships with other characters.

I couldn't disagree more. You say people come in thinking it's DeathmatchMUD... But I've never seen people treat it that way ICly.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 02, 2013, 08:40:39 PM
I couldn't disagree more. You say people come in thinking it's DeathmatchMUD... But I've never seen people treat it that way ICly.

I think staff have mentioned before (maybe it was Nyr?) that this auto-kill behavior often seems to be the province of newbs to the game. If they manage to hang around, they realize PKilling isn't what ARM is about and they mature past it. If they don't hang around...they don't hang around.

Just an idea. You can BOTH be right, maybe! :)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Sure but it's never pervasive, nor specific enough to blame the tagline of "murder, corruption, betrayal" Over people who simply come from PK hack and slash muds and have little idea of what RP actually is.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 02, 2013, 07:26:32 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 02, 2013, 07:25:07 PM

further vaguened it.

you didn't.  I did.  Please use more discretion posting on the GDB.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on July 02, 2013, 07:15:51 PM
I redacted the whole redacted.

That's a little funny. Sig'ed.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Backstab thread.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

random killing is fucking stupid and you're a goddamn idiot who needs to get culled if you do it

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 12:53:18 AM

random killing is fucking stupid and you're a goddamn idiot who needs to get culled if you do it

Okay?

July 05, 2013, 01:45:06 AM #199 Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:48:11 AM by hatchets
'Random Killing' can be defined as so many things by so many people. While I am not saying it would never happen, there can be more things involved then the victim knows.

Edit: Aswell, the occaisional random whoopsy keeps you on your toes. Once in a while I think there needs to be a Hocky Masked, Serial Killer. heh heh heh
Life sucks, then you die.