Abusing my status as a noobie to ask dumb questions

Started by Wastrel, May 27, 2013, 08:18:23 PM

May 27, 2013, 08:18:23 PM Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:20:28 PM by Wastrel
hue hue.

1. Who owns the rights to Armageddon?

2. Is there a list of all the skills somewhere that players can actually use but aren't listed under SKILLS (I heard that while everyone can basically use any skill, people just really suck at them if you dont "own" them) However it would be cool if those skills were listed somewhere. Also it would be interesting to know the capabilities of how good you can be at unlisted skills and if there are exceptions.

3. I'm a big roleplayer, but I get intimidated when I see people doing complex flowery emotes. I feel like a kid watching professionals. I've been being generally pretty minimalistic with my emotes for this reason. I should probably practice emoting shouldn't I? Whats a generally noobie friendly area if there is such a thing?

4. Are there combat lines anywhere? Or lines that I can echo "THIS MEANS YOU ARE IN SERIOUS SHIT" etc... I know its a roleplaying mud and as such this might be one of those uber forbidden 'under the hood' questions, but I had a pc who died when someone stunned+knocked me over. I kept trying to flee while he attacked me consecutively for awhile, finally, 30 seconds , all my flee commands came through and I got a message saying "You should stand". Personally I dont understand why there isn't a stun message instead of some cryptic laggy thing but whatever.

5. Muk vs Tek vs Sand Lord who wins

Quote from: Wastrel on May 27, 2013, 08:18:23 PM
hue hue.

2. Is there a list of all the skills somewhere that players can actually use but aren't listed under SKILLS (I heard that while everyone can basically use any skill, people just really suck at them if you dont "own" them) However it would be cool if those skills were listed somewhere. Also it would be interesting to know the capabilities of how good you can be at unlisted skills and if there are exceptions.

3. I'm a big roleplayer, but I get intimidated when I see people doing complex flowery emotes. I feel like a kid watching professionals. I've been being generally pretty minimalistic with my emotes for this reason. I should probably practice emoting shouldn't I? Whats a generally noobie friendly area if there is such a thing?

4. Are there combat lines anywhere? Or lines that I can echo "THIS MEANS YOU ARE IN SERIOUS SHIT" etc... I know its a roleplaying mud and as such this might be one of those uber forbidden 'under the hood' questions, but I had a pc who died when someone stunned+knocked me over. I kept trying to flee while he attacked me consecutively for awhile, finally, 30 seconds , all my flee commands came through and I got a message saying "You should stand". Personally I dont understand why there isn't a stun message instead of some cryptic laggy thing but whatever.

2: The helpfiles have all the skills in them

3: Try when foraging, or hunting or crafting. Look at help emoting

4: There are prompts that can be coded in to tell you if you are standing, riding, running, ect. I forget how though, but I know someone will chime in with the right answer.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

hue hue.

IIRC it's been stated that ownership of the game is held by the staff members listed as the Producers the Consultants (who were Producers at one point).  This being Adhira, Morgenes, Nessalin, Sanvean and Raesanos.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I'm new too so I might be able to give a different perspective.

Your best bet is to comb over the help files. I did this while waiting for my application for my first character as well as my new and now being played second character. You can browse the website for reading help files. This is how I learned about the many non-standard commands (as well as skills) that this MUD has. My friend who has been playing for a while and got me into the game also directed me to this guide and I highly recommend you check it out

I was overwhelmed as well, there are so many ways to emote and you can inject emotes in to many of the standard DIKU commands. I suggest you check out that guide I linked above and in particular check out this part on emoting

There is also an advanced guide that has more information on emoting that you might want to check it out.

Someone please chime in and let me know if this is ok or not, but if you type "Change Locdescs" you're brought to a room where you can add scars to your character. This is considered an OOC room if I'm reading the help file correctly so it might be ok to go in here for a few minutes and practice/test the emote command and emoting with other commands. I have no idea if this is allowed or would be frowned upon so someone else will have to answer that  ???

I've had very little experience with combat so the only thing I can say is adjust your prompt as was already directed. Type "help prompt" in-game there's a prompt command you can add things like your position to your prompt so you can know things like if you're standing or sitting, if you're armed, stuff like that.

From one noob to another I know how overwhelming it can be and if I didn't read those guides and go through the help files alphabetically while waiting for my application I would be having a MUCH harder time playing Armageddon.  I hope I was able to help a little...  :-[
"I wouldn't go that way if I were you, there are two thumpers eyeing you from the alley and waiting to brain you. Maybe if you twist His Arm with some black they'll disappear. They'll stab them in the squinters and make their eyes glow like Jihae."

Everything I feel has been answered nicely, but.

If the game says 'you should stand,' that generally means someone knocked you off your feet. Try using the >stand command before fleeing next time.

Also tek wins he's a motherflipping dragon
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on May 27, 2013, 09:07:24 PM

If the game says 'you should stand,' that generally means someone knocked you off your feet. Try using the >stand command before fleeing next time.

911 (Year 64 Age 12)
The Dragon appears in Tuluk and an obscure exchange occurs between Muk Utep and the dread beast. At least one-fourth of Tuluk is destroyed by the Dragon. Afterward, the Dragon once again departs the Known World.

I dunno, is there a difference between a dragon and THE dragon?  It doesn't say who wins but Tuluk was still standing, and The Dragon "departed the Known".  Just saying....
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

May 27, 2013, 09:19:58 PM #6 Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:22:54 PM by Wastrel
Quote from: Patuk on May 27, 2013, 09:07:24 PM

It literally said I should stand seconds before I died. I was stunned. I've read Mansa's guide and a lot of the documentation. I'm not completely fresh - I'm more of at that stage of actually trying to make something happen with one of my PCs instead of roaming around doing my own things until I die from some unfortunate series of events.

Also alot of the subtleties of the documentation are lost within the living world, most of which is the lingo and how people talk. Like I'm aware of the socio-political structures but you guys all know how to effortlessly and flawlessly talk about it IC with a perfect usage of the terms and I feel all I can do is just sort of creepily voyeur rp situations. I dunno, thats where am at right now, hopefully I'll get better. I've noticed myself trying to act mysterious to cover up how inept I am. At least on my old character.

Also why the heck is there starting noob area in red storm where you can load up on supplies but not in other areas.

You don't need to have long, flowery emotes to roleplay effectively, or even superbly.

The character I've roleplayed the best emoted sparsely. When he did, it was often simple nods, grunts, stares, etc. When he spoke, he was often monosyllabic.

Consistency and thought in your actions, thinks, and feels - and somehow communicating that consistency to your fellow players - is far more important than artistic emoting (though that can certainly be helpful).
This is magnificent, and it's true! It never happened, yet it is still true! What magic art is this?
Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadowtruths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. Sandman

In my signature is a thread called "neat little things." You should check it out. Basically a treasure trove of "under the hood" stuff for how to interact with the world. It's almost a command list, but also has lots of cool extra stuff.

I am curious as to how you two new guys here found out about us? I'm glad you decided to play here.

And sorry about the death, sounds frustrating :( I would recommend fixing your PROMPT. Here are two suggestions, both have the same stuff just the second without max hp and max stun.

prompt <%hh %t/%Tt %v/%Vv> [%A / %k / %w] (%s)\\n

Example output:

<92h 71/78t 117/125v> [unarmed / riding: none / walking] (standing)

I would recommend setting up highlights and substitutions if you can to get color in there for "sitting." When I learned how to color "sitting" bold YELLOW in my prompt, I stopped dying the way you did, which is not realize you were seated after a bash or charge.

At the very least, highlighting any text in ( )  or [ ] or < > is a great start.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

May 27, 2013, 09:36:47 PM #9 Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:38:46 PM by LauraMars
Quote from: Wastrel on May 27, 2013, 09:19:58 PMAlso alot of the subtleties of the documentation are lost within the living world, most of which is the lingo and how people talk. Like I'm aware of the socio-political structures but you guys all know how to effortlessly and flawlessly talk about it IC with a perfect usage of the terms and I feel all I can do is just sort of creepily voyeur rp situations. I dunno, thats where am at right now, hopefully I'll get better. I've noticed myself trying to act mysterious to cover up how inept I am. At least on my old character.

Understanding comes with time - lurking voyeuristically around RP scenes is perfectly acceptable.  Also, you don't need to act mysterious to cover up how inept you are - sometimes it's ok to just be inept.  Relish being a newbie - you only get to be one once.  (Most of us are jealous of you)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

From the way I understand it, while you are stunned, the game will not immediately respond to your inputs, and those inputs that you enter will all go off one after another as soon as you are un-stunned.  Being stunned will fuck you right up though.

As for practicing emoting, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just emote as much or as little as you think the situation demands.  Length is not necessarily intrinsically indicative of quality.

Sand Lord loses no matter what, Tek wins a straight up brawl, Muk outwits and outplans in a more open situation.  But that's just my opinion.

Welcome to Arm.

Some people do big long emotes really well. Some people do brilliant succinct emotes that are just as awesome.

And sometimes the correct response is to simply nod.

Just do what moves you and what a situation calls for.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

May 27, 2013, 10:03:22 PM #12 Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:05:04 PM by Wastrel
Quote from: LauraMars on May 27, 2013, 09:36:47 PM
Quote from: Wastrel on May 27, 2013, 09:19:58 PMAlso alot of the subtleties of the documentation are lost within the living world, most of which is the lingo and how people talk. Like I'm aware of the socio-political structures but you guys all know how to effortlessly and flawlessly talk about it IC with a perfect usage of the terms and I feel all I can do is just sort of creepily voyeur rp situations. I dunno, thats where am at right now, hopefully I'll get better. I've noticed myself trying to act mysterious to cover up how inept I am. At least on my old character.

Understanding comes with time - lurking voyeuristically around RP scenes is perfectly acceptable.  Also, you don't need to act mysterious to cover up how inept you are - sometimes it's ok to just be inept.  Relish being a newbie - you only get to be one once.  (Most of us are jealous of you)

Laura you are amazing pls marry me. Go on live help more.  8)

Harmless, thx brah, my prompt is already customized tho I must have missed the part where you can add in your (%s) - does it show when you're stunned? I played Arm for a brief period like 4 years ago and decided to try it again when I saw you at the top of TMS recently.

also #TeamSandLord

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,34069.msg408783.html#msg408783

according to that arbitrary but helpful post, where would dwarves, half-elves, and muls be located on that scale?

Quote from: Wastrel on May 27, 2013, 09:19:58 PM

Also why the heck is there starting noob area in red storm where you can load up on supplies but not in other areas.

There are starter area shops for Allanak and Tuluk also.  These are accessed before you enter the game.  We are hoping to have one for the Labyrinth completed soon.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Wastrel on May 27, 2013, 10:20:39 PM
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,34069.msg408783.html#msg408783

according to that arbitrary but helpful post, where would dwarves, half-elves, and muls be located on that scale?

Just looking at the help files you can deduce that half-elves are stronger than elves but weaker than humans. Dwarves are stronger than humans and muls are even stronger than that.
Alea iacta est

Here's a copy of my emote cheat sheet back from when I first started playing. Experiment with emotes. No one's going to go grammar Nazi on you for messing up an emote or two in an attempt to expand your roleplaying abilities.

Symbol        Reference      Target Sees
   ------      ---------           -----------
   ~            (sdesc)           you
   %           (sdesc)'s          your
   !              him/her           you
   ^             his/her           your
   #             he/she           you
   &             himself/herself     yourself
   =             (sdesc)'s           yours
   +             his/hers           yours
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

For reacting faster to the game and making sure you understand what's happening to your character, prompts and color triggers can help.

I use this prompt:

[%h/%H][%v/%V][%t/%T] %w %s %a \n %e %d %E %A %k %l \n \n

Most important, I would say, are %w, %s and %l. The first is your walking speed--so you don't accidentally drain all your stamina running.

%s is your position: sitting, standing, resting. I also have color triggers set up on Mushclient for sitting and resting it really pops out at me.  So I know when I'm sitting, and that I need to >stand before I can flee.

The most important thing about %l is that it normally adds nothing to your prompt, but the moment you enter combat it tells you that you are FIGHTING and who. (I also have FIGHTING colored with bright red and white).

I've never been bash killed... Should I feel left out? Only been Pk'ed once, and that was because *sekrits*... Most of the time it's some terrifying npc. Am I just doing it wrong?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 27, 2013, 11:31:16 PM
I've never been bash killed... Should I feel left out? Only been Pk'ed once, and that was because *sekrits*... Most of the time it's some terrifying npc. Am I just doing it wrong?

Don't be so nice all the time.

If you need help more quickly, you can use the LIVE HELPER Chat.  If that wasn't said already.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Help prompt will bring up all the symbols and information on them to build the prompt you desire.

If your looking for a place to practice your emotes; 1. get an apartment and go all 'raging bull' with a mirror. Practicing your emote style.
                                                                      2. Hook up with a helper in game and go to a secluded place in a tavern or bar, away from other players, but not to far from npc guards for your own safety. However if they are helpers you should be fine. There you can emote with them, keeping a nice mix of IC/OOC there so you can get a feel of how others see your emotes if you feel you are having trouble.
                                                                       3. Keep a list of the emote symbols, use them as you get comfortable with them. I personally took about a year or more to get to where I use several symbols in my emotes. As for the Forms of emoting other than public suck as hemotes and semotes or Pemotes and Phemotes and so forth, again allow yourself to evolve with them and don't feel inferior for not using them as cleverly as others may seem to. It comes, just keep the idea in your head and try to remember using them when you can.

The help files are rich here, and at any time you can type Help emote. This goes for most things.

As for the flees piling up and then getting the string of denials at the end. It is bad business to spam, and spamming in the Arm system especially. Most things, such as flee have a delay, this delay factors for everyone of those flees you are hectically pumping away at. Flee, let a message come, then flee again. That way if you are floored or grounded you will know.

Another thing about flee is that you must be standing, it will not stand you automatically.

Again, most actions come with a delay, and spamming is not your ally.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

First...welcome.
Second...emote does not equal roleplay....there are many past threads on this subject...my advice is to look them over.
Third...there is nothing at all wrong with the brief and to the point emote...in fact for some of us it is the prefered method..after twenty years. I still keep mine as brief as possible.
also, if you do not type 105wpm, you might consider keeping them short. One good way to end up with a lot of solo rp time is to type out flowery emotes and take too long
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job