Playing females as EZ Mode

Started by Case, May 14, 2013, 02:17:19 AM

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 15, 2013, 04:15:13 AM
I kept falling to my doom because I couldn't keep my balance with such large breasts.

Yeah, I always thought they should give her a huge dong as a counterweight.

Personally, I choose not to treat female characters any different from male characters, unless it's IC to do so.

I'm an equal opportunity roleplayer, regardless of gender :P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

May 15, 2013, 06:39:09 AM #127 Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:17:01 AM by Fujikoma
Quote from: spicemustflow on May 15, 2013, 04:56:41 AM
Quote from: Fujikoma on May 15, 2013, 04:15:13 AM
I kept falling to my doom because I couldn't keep my balance with such large breasts.

Yeah, I always thought they should give her a huge dong as a counterweight.

I laughed at this for a good 20 minutes, maybe I should get some sleep?

EDIT: Not that I would think there's anything wrong with that, but it would be so unexpected and out of the norm. I'd play it.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 15, 2013, 02:54:11 AM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on May 14, 2013, 06:26:58 PM
...wat?

:D

Sorry, I do not mean offense, but I'm baffled and amused by the notion that a virtual dong is what's keeping you from playing a male character.

I was also gonna comment on that. Makes me wonder how people could play mantis back in the day. Or maybe it's a more common problem than we think and girl gamers have troubles playing dead space or GTA? But I never heard of a guy who can't play tomb raider because of the tits.

For me, its not that I'm playing a human plus dude bits minus girl bits on any other game. Those games are games, pitiful fabrications designed to entertain me with a virtual world.

In Armageddon, I _am_ the character. That's my mentality.

Which makes the fact that I've actually successfully played a sociopath before, and that my insane characters tend to be among my best ones, that will never not disturb me.

I've only ever played as male PC's. I'm not sure females are 'EZ' mode, as I've seen successful PC's of both genders, in all the different roles in Armageddon. I think I'm pretty good at the whole gender equality thing in Zalanthas, I don't tend to base any actions or reactions on the gender of the other PC. I find though, that female PC's often make a better effort at befriending my PC's through interaction in a positive sense, where as male PC's tend to interact more negatively and in a hostile fashion. I've also found several female PC's to be a bit more fleshed out and "real" than male PC's, but that could also just be the players of those characters were particularly good at RP, and had nothing to do with them being female PC's.

I find also these threads tend to turn into subtle ways for players to critisize how others play their characters. I.E giving hassles to F'me's and Muscle-men, emo breeds, etc etc. To me, I'm pretty relaxed in this regard and however someone else wants to play there character is fine with me. I wouldn't like someone to be reading the GBD, see a comment, and feel bad and think "Oh, are they talking about my PC?" because that might make them not want to play anymore. And that is to nobody's advantage.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Scarecrow on May 15, 2013, 08:50:01 AM

I find also these threads tend to turn into subtle ways for players to critisize how others play their characters. I.E giving hassles to F'me's and Muscle-men, emo breeds, etc etc. To me, I'm pretty relaxed in this regard and however someone else wants to play there character is fine with me. I wouldn't like someone to be reading the GBD, see a comment, and feel bad and think "Oh, are they talking about my PC?" because that might make them not want to play anymore. And that is to nobody's advantage.

I am guilty of this. I think you're correct. I think I'll use you as an example and try to do a bit better.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on May 15, 2013, 08:23:05 AM

Which makes the fact that I've actually successfully played a sociopath before, and that my insane characters tend to be among my best ones, that will never not disturb me.

That's called imagination. Every good writer can and does come up with deep and even likeable villains. In fact, many writers and actors even enjoy creating such characters. Dickens sucked at positive protagonists while his creeps were usually very memorable. It doesn't mean he himself had the potential to be a killer, thief, pedorapist or such, it means that evil is both easier and more enjoyable to write about/act/play. Relax.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on May 15, 2013, 08:23:05 AMFor me, its not that I'm playing a human plus dude bits minus girl bits on any other game. Those games are games, pitiful fabrications designed to entertain me with a virtual world.

Yeah but... we don't go around roleplaying that actual bits!

At least... not very often.  :D

Anyway, my (hopefully) final thoughts on the thread:
1) Ultimately, Case is right.  Advising newbies, even in jest, to play a female character solely as a means to attract interaction was wrong.
2) ... Actually that's about it.  I apologize for any offense.

Quote from: spicemustflow on May 15, 2013, 10:07:24 AM
It doesn't mean he himself had the potential to be a killer, thief, pedorapist or such...

I read "podiatrist"...
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

You know, as a female, I actually, as a general rule play crafters, musicians, etc - on other games. With my character here, I've been trying to make a more tough character who isn't nice. So... essentially opposite-me. It does seem to come across as male-playing-female, I think. But I'm probably not that good at playing tough girls just yet, because in real life I wouldn't know how to be tough if it bit me on the butt - I'm sorta a powder puff.

Quote from: PriestlySiren on May 15, 2013, 11:22:35 AM
You know, as a female, I actually, as a general rule play crafters, musicians, etc - on other games. With my character here, I've been trying to make a more tough character who isn't nice. So... essentially opposite-me. It does seem to come across as male-playing-female, I think. But I'm probably not that good at playing tough girls just yet, because in real life I wouldn't know how to be tough if it bit me on the butt - I'm sorta a powder puff.

Honestly, seeming like a male playing a female isn't that out of sorts on arm. If you nix gendered cultural norms, women are going to seem a lot more like men anyhow. You're going to have a subset that are going to be leering, bawdy, arrogant, douchie, socially inept, wannabe and all sorts of other things that we typically associate more with maleness.

Honestly I don't think one should just concentrate on the things we usually associate as positive masculine traits when you're playing masculine women. They should have a pretty equal proportion of the really obnoxious "masculine" traits as well.

By that logic, males should have an equal proportion of "feminine" traits to "masculine" traits.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

because the only way to play a nonstereotypical female is to play a sterotypical male.

???

Quote from: LauraMars on May 15, 2013, 02:09:30 PM
By that logic, males should have an equal proportion of "feminine" traits to "masculine" traits.

Er, yes? I don't see how that's a bad thing at all.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

May 15, 2013, 02:25:21 PM #140 Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:29:39 PM by James de Monet
Quote from: Narf on May 15, 2013, 01:19:49 PM
Honestly I don't think one should just concentrate on the things we usually associate as positive masculine traits when you're playing masculine women. They should have a pretty equal proportion of the really obnoxious "masculine" traits as well.

Really, though, you should probably also see a dissemination of "feminine" traits across males as well, if we're talking not just abot gender equality, but also about gender parity.  Sensitivity and nurturing may not be terribly Zalanthan expressions outside the home, but others might be.  One thing I could never really get to is the point where I didn't feel weird having my male characters wear flowers, or "girly" jewelry. I don't think it would be weird on Zalanthas, but I can't get there. It doesn't look right in my head.

EDIT: Looks like LM beat me to the punch.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on May 15, 2013, 02:25:21 PM
Quote from: Narf on May 15, 2013, 01:19:49 PM

Really, though, you should probably also see a dissemination of "feminine" traits across males as well, if we're talking not just abot gender equality, but also about gender parity.  Sensitivity and nurturing may not be terribly Zalanthan expressions outside the home, but others might be.  One thing I could never really get to is the point where I didn't feel weird having my male characters wear flowers, or "girly" jewelry. I don't think it would be weird on Zalanthas, but I can't get there. It doesn't look right in my head.

EDIT: Looks like LM beat me to the punch.

My (non-combat) males wear jewelry all the time. I keep wondering what others think of it, too :3
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Every single male I have played has worn flowers in their hair and expensive jewelry, as long as we're comparing femininity penises.

Wear pilfered gith shit erryday. Smell like a mek's butthole.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I only play asexual males and play that females are the same as males.  So I have no input, although it has been an interesting discussion.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 15, 2013, 02:38:00 PM
Every single male I have played has worn flowers in their hair and expensive jewelry, as long as we're comparing femininity penises.

Depending on the guy I'm playing, I've done this a few times in the past. Very fancy, foppish merchants are fun to play.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I didn't want to further derail this thread, but I think the jewelry thing is an interesting question, so I started a new thread -here-.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Get rid of kilts. EVERYTHING SHOULD BE SKIRTS.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Iiyola on May 15, 2013, 06:35:52 PM

And rename codpieces "gender neutral genital guards"

Quote from: Kaineus on May 15, 2013, 06:39:23 PM
Quote from: Iiyola on May 15, 2013, 06:35:52 PM

And rename codpieces "gender neutral genital guards"

To call them gender neutral genital guards would imply that we were differentiating them from gender specific genital guards.

Hey there? Mr. Salarri Man? I need a helmet, a gorget and a gender neutral genital guard.

Hey there, I couldn't help but admire your gender neutral genital guard.

This made me happy.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."