Combat training and sparring.

Started by Fujikoma, May 08, 2013, 11:48:09 PM

How does one find sparring, aside from joining an organization? In Tuluk, Allanak, Liurs, etc.?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

You don't, really. Either you're in an organization that has sparring facilities (Byn, Noble and Merchant Houses, Militias) or you're killing monsters or NPCs in which case you're probably committing murder.

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 08, 2013, 11:48:09 PM
How does one find sparring, aside from joining an organization? In Tuluk, Allanak, Liurs, etc.?

Find people whom you are absolutely certain about that they won't kill you, and spar inside apartments/outside the gates.

It's not quite meant to be easy, though. Tuluk's public sparring ring was closed off for a reason.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on May 08, 2013, 11:51:14 PM

Find people whom you are absolutely certain about that they won't kill you, and spar inside apartments/outside the gates.

It's not quite meant to be easy, though. Tuluk's public sparring ring was closed off for a reason.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think sparring in apartments is frowned upon.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: racurtne on May 08, 2013, 11:54:37 PM

If the room would appear to be spatially big enough from the room description, and clear of obstructing items, I don't think there's any problem with it. Just be mindful and realistic.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

May 09, 2013, 12:05:13 AM #5 Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:09:32 AM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: racurtne on May 08, 2013, 11:54:37 PM

Maybe ICly from the owners of the apartment who don't want shit broken, but I can't see any other reason, not OOCly.

As for sparring without begin in a clan. get like-minded people together and make it into a thing. Watch Fightclub for inspiration.

Back when I started this was fairly common.  People would step outside the gates and spar.  It wasn't a common occurrence and there were only a few doing it (they were indies obviously, clan ppl have a safe place to do this).  This seems like something people might still do, all one would need are sparring weapons and a sparring partner (a tent or some other shelter to rest in between matches would be very helpful, also maybe a third person just in case there's unexpected trouble).
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 09, 2013, 12:11:13 PM
tent or some other shelter to rest in between matches would be very helpful

QuoteIf this is your first Nekrete at Tent Club, you have to fight!
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Spar in the Rinth. ;D
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I greatly appreciate all the advice. What about the rooftops (Oh dear, can I even mention that? I hope so)? Seems like options are rather narrow for characters of certain races and guilds, and usually seem to involve various serious concerns that are best found out IC. It's a challenge I'm looking to overcome because I don't want to be forced to play a particular race/guild combo just to enjoy exploring the game world, I know there must be methods, and some of these suggestions indicate there are.

May 14, 2013, 12:58:55 PM #10 Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:01:00 PM by AreteX
Your guild should not narrow you down at all when it comes to finding a way to spar.  You can join a clan as any guild you want.  The race might be an issue though but that is something to concern yourself with and accept the consequences when you create the character.

I have joined the Byn as every mundane non-karma guild available I think.  You might not the best fighter ever, but you're going to get to spar.  For example as an Assassin my character wasn't exactly a killing machine and played more as a soldier who happened to not be that great at it.

If you are referring to the more nefarious skills of certain guilds and practicing them and not just general sparring then that is a whole different ball-game.  I know for a fact that it is frowned upon to for instance backstab someone as "practice".

You can spar on rooftops if you want.  I don't think anyone is going to stop you but mind the description of the rooftops.  If you have a falling apart rooftop with, well, edges and drops to them you might not want to spar there and risk falling off the edge or collapsing through the ceiling.  You can spar inside of an apartment as well as long you as you keep to the room description and the realism of it all.  Scoot the couches away, push the tables back, make room.

I think the key is just to stay true to the environment you are in when you attempt anything and that includes sparring.

I ask because once a combination of non-warrior guild choice + seriously poor stat roll + poorer stat reroll + undo reroll + race made finding a place to practice combat skills damned near impossible after certain incidents. This character was still fun to play afterwards, mind you, but actually being able to actually develop some combat skills would have greatly helped him be capable of actually getting into some really fun stuff.

There are a few avenues to learning to fight other than playing a strong fighter class, but they all feature greater risk and difficulty. But they all require patience, lots and lots of patience. Arm is not a quick flash, it's a slow burn of a game. I've seen characters alive for real life years, it can take a long time for every type of class in game to attain mastery at any particular discipline.  So you have time, but you need to take the long view with your characters. If you are smart, knowledgeable, and sometimes incredibly lucky, your character can last for years.

So... my advice is - don't try to be pedal to the metal with your characters right from the get-go. There is no quick path to becoming a strong *anything*, it's a slow path.  So learn the game, discover people of any trade advance, and you will discover other means to acquire the deadly arts you feel your character needs.

Its not safe sparring places that clans are unique in offering. It's the trifecta of a sparring area, free sparring gear, and warm bodies you can trust all congregated together that makes them good for this. It takes a bit more effort, but you can assemble all 3 yourself even without leaving the city walls.

There are plenty of out of the way, open spaces that are free of the crime code that are suitable for sparring in the major cities. It can be tricky getting weapons suitable to use for sparring, as they are a little unrealistically difficult to obtain in certain areas. However there are crappy weapons that are pretty much just as good for sparring even if they aren't tagged "sparring" or "training" in their sdesc. It's the warm bodies you can trust that are the hard part, but it's not impossible.