Passive Roleplay commands

Started by Michael, April 20, 2013, 09:53:48 PM

I just started to play Arm about an hour or two ago and I before-hand looked at all the information on the site about talking and such, however upon seeing all the different players talking and preforming actions and such I am a bit confused and intimidated.

Could someone tell me all these fancy commands there using to make there RP look realistic?

Welcome!

First:  Don't Panic!

It takes a long time to get it for some. I'm 12 years in and still don't.

In the meantime, check this out. It's like a newbie bible.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Yes, Welcome!

One help file to have a look at is http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Emoting.  I would especially think about having that table of special characters available to you.

If you are seeing people talking with actions you can look at http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Say for examples.  Note that the same format works for shout, talk, whisper etc.

Also, browsing through the walk through could be helpful!  http://www.armageddon.org/intro/walkthrough.php
Nothing to see here

Quote from: Michael on April 20, 2013, 09:53:48 PM
I just started to play Arm about an hour or two ago and I before-hand looked at all the information on the site about talking and such, however upon seeing all the different players talking and preforming actions and such I am a bit confused and intimidated.

Could someone tell me all these fancy commands there using to make there RP look realistic?

Also, please don't hesitate to hit up Helper Chat if anyone is online - we don't bite and we are happy to walkthrough.

Quote from: Delirium on April 21, 2013, 01:13:51 AM
Also, please don't hesitate to hit up Helper Chat if anyone is online - we don't bite and we are happy to walkthrough.

Lies. Everyone around here bites.

But that's okay. Most of us have had our shots.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Arm has a steep learning curve, but after that it gets easier.  Using the resources that the other have posted will help you to learn.  Also, having that chart that you find one of the emoting helpfiles up on something* while you play can help you with targeting.

*Piece of paper, word doc, ect.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I still have to reference that chart from time to time, but at the beginning it was ALL the time. Also, don't be afraid to be experimental. If you need to spend some time alone in a room to figure out how command emotes work, do it. Also, don't be shy in front of others - if you mess up people will just either ignore (if it comes out completely nonsensical) or figure out what you meant anyway. We all have our moments (or maybe I just have enough of them for everyone??). Also, welcome! :)
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I only started this past August, so I am by no means an expert at anything in the game.  However, as a fellow new player I would suggest not being intimidated by things and just slowly work into it.  Use normal says and tells at first and thread emotes between them and every once in a while test out command emotes and placing emotes in your says and tells.

Something that helped me understand the syntax was when I was out on my own and no one was around, I would test things out with command emotes.  That way if I goofed it up, I could see what I did wrong and I wasn't really in danger of coming across as silly.  :p   Just simple things like if I saw a rock on the ground I'd type like, "get rock (kneeling down)"  and examine how it popped up on my screen.  Looking at stuff like that helped a lot, for me.

If someone is doing something codedly that you don't know how to do, its okay to use the ooc command and ask. Even more experienced players have to do this from time to time.

I remember when I first started, someone was teaching my character how to climb with a rope and they were (I learned later) emoting tossing it up to catch it onto another part of the building.

I asked them how to hook it on to one of the other buildings.

Ah, the joys of being a newbie.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: hyzhenhok on April 22, 2013, 12:27:53 PM
If someone is doing something codedly that you don't know how to do, its okay to use the ooc command and ask. Even more experienced players have to do this from time to time.

Yes. I spent 20 minutes trying to sweep the sawdust out of a room because I didn't think to ask for the syntax to it, which someone was kind enough to inform me of using OOC as being 'use broom room', back in 2008.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.