Basic Skills?

Started by Ravenfeather, April 20, 2013, 09:57:43 AM

Is there a list of just 'basic' skills that everyone gets - regardless of guild/sub-guild choice?
"Graceful? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely. Harmless? Definitely not." --Tribal Elder.

Have you voted lately?
Top Mud Sites (Every 12 hours)
The Mud Connector (Every 24 hours)

That's a great question. I don't -think- there is. I wonder if there should be.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Found IC?  NOT.  I have wondered that too.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Everyone gets shield use and I believe also dual-wield and two-handed (not sure about these two but IIRC all my characters have had both in their starting skills). Also cooking, contact and barrier. Watch shows up for everyone, though I don't know if it's a starting skill for everyone, or if it just pops up eventually. Ride as well.  Your character's own language plus his own accent, and he is able to branch new languages and accents eventually, no matter what race/class/subclass he is.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Listen is too, I think.  Forage is too.
Fredd-

Lizzie's post is correct, Barsook's is not.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 20, 2013, 11:55:40 AM
Everyone gets shield use and I believe also dual-wield and two-handed (not sure about these two but IIRC all my characters have had both in their starting skills). Also cooking, contact and barrier. Watch shows up for everyone, though I don't know if it's a starting skill for everyone, or if it just pops up eventually. Ride as well.  Your character's own language plus his own accent, and he is able to branch new languages and accents eventually, no matter what race/class/subclass he is.

Elves don't get ride.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

April 20, 2013, 02:26:26 PM #7 Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:28:42 PM by Potaje
Quote from: Patuk on April 20, 2013, 01:52:24 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on April 20, 2013, 11:55:40 AM
Everyone gets shield use and I believe also dual-wield and two-handed (not sure about these two but IIRC all my characters have had both in their starting skills). Also cooking, contact and barrier. Watch shows up for everyone, though I don't know if it's a starting skill for everyone, or if it just pops up eventually. Ride as well.  Your character's own language plus his own accent, and he is able to branch new languages and accents eventually, no matter what race/class/subclass he is.

Elves don't get ride.

Elve's will get ride, but should not use it.

There are also some hidden skills that you should simply just discover on your own icly. At least they are there and that is what staff said to me at one point.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I think a helpfile said that haggle is a base skill for all PC's.
Fredd-

This thread will now confuse new players more than anything else.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Agreed. Welcome to Armageddon!  ;)

Barsook, no. You can -use- any skill. You only -get- certain skills. Haggle is not one of those skills. Neither is listen.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I see.
Fredd-

Quote from: Malken on April 20, 2013, 02:37:48 PM

Agreed.  Maybe there should be a new helpfile?  It doesn't have to be a list of skills or anything, just a paragraph (like the guild/subguild paragraphs) that describes what every character can expect to be able to do, no matter what their class is.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on April 20, 2013, 04:41:37 PM
Quote from: Malken on April 20, 2013, 02:37:48 PM

Agreed.  Maybe there should be a new helpfile?  It doesn't have to be a list of skills or anything, just a paragraph (like the guild/subguild paragraphs) that describes what every character can expect to be able to do, no matter what their class is.

+1
Fredd-

To clarify on the statement that you can use skills, but don't necessarily get them (for all you loverly noobs):

There are certain commands that coincide with skills, that you can use even though they don't appear on your skills list. Listen, scan, hunt, peek, and steal are among those commands. Each has a corresponding coded skill that uses those words as the syntax to engage in the skill. If you do -not- have the skill, you *might* still have a *chance* to succeed - depends on the circumstances.

Everyone can try to forage - however, not everyone will succeed on a regular basis - and most classes/subclasses cannot forage food. That's reserved for certain classes/subclasses.

See "help nosave" for a couple of examples of times when you can try a skill that you don't actually have. They're mixed in with the other nosave variables.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

So far as I can tell, for starting base skills:

Psionic: Contact, Barrier
Combat: Shield use, Dual Wield, Two-Handed
Manipulation: Ride (for non-elves)
Perception: Watch, Forage (I think)
Language: Base + starting loc accent
Craft: Cooking, analyze
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on April 29, 2013, 08:13:21 AM
So far as I can tell, for starting base skills:

Psionic: Contact, Barrier
Combat: Shield use, Dual Wield, Two-Handed
Manipulation: Ride (for non-elves)
Perception: Watch, Forage (I think)
Language: Base + starting loc accent
Craft: Cooking, analyze

Elves get ride. At least, D-elves do, last time I played a Soh.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on April 29, 2013, 03:44:11 PM
Elves get ride. At least, D-elves do, last time I played a Soh.

Yeah, and when they max it, they get a special prize! :)

[ATTENTION NEW PLAYERS: THIS IS A JOKE. THE SPECIAL PRIZE IS UNWELCOME STAFF ATTENTION.]
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I don't know if this is actually possible or not but, I had always believed that elves could train ride by trying to tame wild mounts to transform them into beasts of burden.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Does not work, unless you have advanced ride to the point where you can tame. If you have say, apprentice ride and try to tame animals, you will always fail and never gain...I tested that one on my last delf ranger...Which is too bad since I figured it made sense for delves to be able to tame pack animals.

Also, used to be at least, that elves didn't get ride, unless they had a main guild or sub that had Ride as a mainstay, IE, rangers or caravan guide.

Not that it matters much, Ride and Pilot are both skills you can "pop" from use.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Aww that sucks then  :(
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I remember when we didn't talk about skills or what we could accomplish with them as we became more skilled.
*adjusts grumpy old-timer hat*

If tame was its own skill, it would still be that way...but it is not, so you really have no choice.

Maybe it is time to idea that again.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on April 30, 2013, 10:23:57 AM
If tame was its own skill, it would still be that way...but it is not, so you really have no choice.

What the tame skill idea that I (on Mechafish's account) had?
Fredd-

Quote from: X-D on April 30, 2013, 10:23:57 AM

I dunno.  I remember discussions of things like tame would be answered with - "try to tame something."  And questions like "How do you THINK someone might develop such a skill?"