Zalanthan-esque Quote of the Day

Started by Morrolan, April 15, 2013, 12:37:21 PM

"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved the Highlord."
---
"I know myself," he cried, "but that is all."
--
"He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone."
--
"In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
--
"He somehow, found the strength to run."
--
"There are stories that are true, in which each individual's tale is unique and tragic, and the worst of the tragedy is that we have heard it before, and we cannot allow ourselves to feel it too deeply."
--
"It is finished," said someone near him.
He heard these words and repeated them in his soul.
"Death is finished," he said to himself. "It is no more."
He drew in a breath, stopped in the midst of a sigh, stretched out, and died.
--
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Slowly he rose, mechanically wiping his hands upon his cloak. A dark scowl had settled on his somber brow. Yet he made no wild, reckless vow, swore no oath by saints or devils.
"Men shall die for this," he said coldly.
--
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
--
Conan's hand fell heavily on her naked shoulder.
"Stand aside, girl," he mumbled. "Now is the feasting of swords."
--
"The dullest was struck by the contrast between the harsh, taciturn, gloomy commander, and the pirate whose laugh was gusty and ready, who roared ribald songs in a dozen languages, guzzled ale like a toper, and—apparently—had no thought for the morrow."
--
"When I cannot stand alone, it will be time to die," he mumbled, through mashed lips. "But I'd like a flagon of wine."
--
"There is life beyond death, I know, and I know this, too, Conan of Cimmeria"—she rose lithely to her knees and caught him in a pantherish embrace--"my love is stronger than any death! I have lain in your arms, panting with the violence of our love; you have held and crushed and conquered me, drawing my soul to your lips with the fierceness of your bruising kisses. My heart is welded to your heart, my soul is part of your soul! Were I still in death and you fighting for life, I would come back to the abyss to aid you--aye, whether my spirit floated with the purple sails on the crystal sea of paradise, or writhed in the molten flames of hell! I am yours, and all the gods and all their eternities shall not sever us!"
--
"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph."
--
"A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs."
--
"Poor devils, they'll wake up in hell without knowing how they got there.""
--
"There is always a way, if the desire be coupled with courage," answered the Cimmerian.
--
"I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."
--
"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

"Man cannot be freed by the same injustice that enslaved it."

"Ive hired you to help me start a war. It's a prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious history."

A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

"All the stories about the devil making a deal and then cheating missed the point. The real horror was that once the bargain was struck, the devil didn't cheat. He gave you exactly and explicitly all that had been promised.

And the price was your soul."
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

"You might call them soft, because they're very reluctant to kill, and they might agree with you, but they're soft the way the silt sea is soft, and, well; ask any skimmer crew how harmless and puny the Eternal Dust can be."
--
"Why is it that people like you always think you're more ruthless than people like me?"
--
"How do you know I'm mad?"
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

--
"Sometimes I forget what I was going to say. Sometimes I remember things everyone else has forgotten for ever and always. Does that ever happen to you?"
--
"Maybe my ruler was wrong."
"Maybe all the rulers are wrong."

--
"You trust this man?"
"I absolutely trust him."
"He's not some kind of madman, then?"
(pause) "I absolutely trust him."

--
"That's everything. No weapons, no friends, no hope. Take all that away, and what's left?"
"Me."

You soon learn there's no elegance or dignity in death if you spend time in the castle kitchens. You learn how ugly it is, and how good it tastes.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

"Rider...well fed, on a light mount...perfume."
"Bah, a woman."
"A herald."
"It's a silk spoiled messenger boy."
A staff member sends:

Good one, razorback. I reread Eaters of the Dead a few weeks back. Need to watch the movie again. But, swaddled?

"We'll never survive!"
"Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."

Quote from: Tekky on April 23, 2019, 02:16:48 PM
"We'll never survive!"
"Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."

"It's not that bad. Well, I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home here but the trees are actually quite lovely."
A staff member sends:

"I've been good! ... why, what have you heard?"

"If they came to hear me beg, they will leave disappointed."

May 02, 2019, 05:02:19 AM #340 Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:08:43 AM by Delirium
"A deal is a deal... until a better one comes along."

"The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife."

"Every man has his price."

"Never confuse wisdom with luck."

"Know your enemies... but do business with them always."

"Hear all, trust nothing."

"Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer."

- Ferengi Rules Of Acquisition

Reminds me of a favourite from the movie Tommy Tricker. Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.
Free your hate.

Quote from: Nile on May 02, 2019, 05:39:36 AM

Reminds me of a favourite from the movie Tommy Tricker. Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Also, very true. Some things, your PC just, didn't WANT to know, ever... and now they do, now they have a decision to make. Bolt, and live maybe three seconds, or suck it up and pretend it's all good, and live maybe a few months longer. Can get in a lot of spice, booze and whores in those three months, and those three seconds mostly involve running away in glorious, pants-crapping terror. The optimal choice becomes obvious.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

"Hard to believe he's dead."
"Were it so easy."

Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

"You know, I loved that car, and I loved that girl, and I'd love to cut off some parts of Yoshida's anatomy."
"You got a fixation, pal."
A staff member sends:

"Good deed's like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling, but no-one notices."
--
"Reputation is what others know of you. Honor is what you know of yourself."
--
"You are who you are on your very worst day. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain."
--
"I don't enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it's a chore like any other. And practiced hands make for quick labor."
--
"So long as there are children who can smile innocently as they happily eat sweets, I have a positive opinion of this world. To that end, I have deceived, betrayed, and spilled blood. And I'll likely continue to do so. If that isn't enough, I'll resort to higher reason."
--
"No way out. Hmph. Let's do this."
--

"Shit escalates."
"I may be small, but you're still a bitch and I still have both my ears."
"I'm a terrorist warlord! Stop throwing me! You made me drop my candy!"
"You know how many men I had to kill for that candy bar? Six!"
"Forget a man's name and he'll forgive you. Remember it, and he'll defend you forever."
"How many mothers have prayed to see their sons, their daughters return from war only to realize the war has kept them, the world has poisoned them, and they'll never be the same?"
"Pity is not forgiveness, nor is gratitude absolution."
"Government is never the solution, but it is almost always the problem."

"Only death can finish the fight, everything else only interrupts the fighting."

"Were I to attempt to be good to everyone, to the entire world and to all the creatures living in it, it would be a drop of fresh water in the salt sea. In other words, a wasted effort. Thus, I decided to do specific good; good which would not go to waste. I'm good to myself and my immediate circle."

"No one wants to suffer. But that is the fate of each. And some suffer more. Not necessarily of their own volition. It's not about wanting to endure the suffering. It's about how you endure it."

"They are not demons, not devils... Worse than that. They are people."

Sol: Before I told a story on myself, like the Doc did, I'd have just said, "Thank you for the nomination, but I decline being health supervisor."

Seth: They buy bodies to do their research. Doctors, they cut them open and study them.

Sol: All the less reason for saying you've been arrested for grave robbing. Seven Times.