Zalanthan-esque Quote of the Day

Started by Morrolan, April 15, 2013, 12:37:21 PM

"What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance! ... I salute you."
- Conan the Barbarian

"Be careful with severing ties with people who betray you for your benefit.  You'll probably replace them with people who will betray for their own benefit instead."

-Me, at the end of Season 2 of the Last Kingdom
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

"You are a person who has held his torments very close to his heart. You believe, somewhere deep inside of you, that such pain gives you power—perhaps the power to inflict a crude justice on the world, retaliation for all the wrongs that have been done to you." - City of Miracles

Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul. - Friedrich Nietzsche
"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul." - Friedrich Nietzsche

It is only hubris if I lose.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

November 01, 2017, 07:46:58 PM #305 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:49:52 PM by Fredd
Nevermind, it's supposed to be stuff we can't use in game.

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

"Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition."

"Surely he can charge a fee for such services. After all, we are not communists."
I caused my knife to go into her back, and she effectively was murdered.<- Rulebook on how to politick. -Shalooonsh

"People have died."
"That's what people DO!"
- Sherlock / Moriarty, BBC Sherlock Holmes

"Gratitude is meaningless. It is only the expectation of further favours."
- Moriarty

"Kill you? Eh, no. Don't be obvious. I mean I'm going to kill you anyway someday. I don't want to rush it though. I'm saving it up for something special. No no no no. If you don't stop prying I will burn you. I will burn the heart out of you."
- Moriarty

"It's only hubris if I fail."

"The pain cuts through the fear and removes all doubt."

"I don't feel regret for anything I've done. I feel sorry for people who feel regret."

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

"The soil is heaped upon me, the grit of burial in my mouth."

"So they want to kill my men? Well, two can play at that game!"

"Considering the mental anguish incurred due to external influence, as your employer, I should provide entertainment as compensation. And, after careful consideration, I'd like to propose a trip to The Gaj tonight to drink away our pain. This one's on me, of course."

Teary-eyed, the dark-haired, southern belle exclaims,
    "I'm going to have a baby!"

Reassuringly, the suave, mustachioed man says,
     "Well, cheer up, maybe you'll have an accident."

"Martyrdom for a merciless Highlord. What a waste. On the battlefield, the life of a common soldier isn't even worth a single piece of obsidian. In today's world, most people's lives are subject to the whims of a handful of nobility and sorcerers. Of course, even a king himself can't live exactly as he pleases. We are all at the mercy of a great tide—fate, or whatever you wish to call it—and we all disappear in the end, our lives spent, never even knowing who we were. In life, unrelated to one's social standing or class as determined by man, there are some people who, by nature, are keys that set the world in motion. They are the true elite, as dictated by the golden rule of the universe. That's what I want to know!! What is my place in the world? Who am I? What am I capable of? What am I destined for?"

January 08, 2019, 10:43:43 PM #312 Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 04:10:57 PM by MeTekillot
"I have now reigned about fifty years in victory or peace, beloved by my subjects, dreaded by my enemies, and respected by my allies. Riches and honors, power and pleasure, have waited on my call, nor does any earthly blessing appear to have been wanting to my felicity. In this situation, I have diligently numbered the days of pure and genuine happiness which have fallen to my lot. They amount to fourteen."

--

"You will collect a lot of powers. You will kill many people. You will become strong. The strongest of them all. But in the end, it won't make any difference. We all gather to stop you. You're alone. No one will mourn your death. No one will shed a tear. No one."

--

"And where are my enemies?"
"They're all dead!"
"Where are my friends?"
"They're all dead, too."

--

"But few people really want to see themselves as being bad or evil, whatever label they wear. I've done things I regret, I've done things I'm proud of, and I've walked the roads in between. The sliding scale is a fantasy. There's no simple answers."

--

"He reminded me of you. A romantic fool. Self-pitying, but with a certain amount of personal charm."

--

"Beware the man who would kill a Dragon, the crowds whisper, for he will never know peace, and he will drag the whole Known into war to keep him merry company along the way. He will stand before the throne, look the void in the eye and laugh. He cannot bear to live in a world where he is not sovereign of his own soul. He would rip his teeth into divine flesh and swallow the world whole."

--

"The greater a man's talents, the greater his power to lead astray. It is better that one should suffer than that many be corrupted."

--

"The fact you are shamed by the values of the masses proves how small you are."

--

"Nothing terrifies me - because nothing is beyond my ability to change."

Beware, beware, of the rat in blue, because he's fucked many before, and he will fuck you too.
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

January 24, 2019, 04:52:11 PM #314 Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 04:12:44 PM by MeTekillot
"Do you know what sort of creature waits to die? Escru."

--

"Many fall in the face of chaos; but not this one. Not today."

--

"You'll only see a dwarf's back when he's dead."

--

"Rule number one of the Red Desert wastes? Don't fuck with a wagon delivering silk."

--

"You can be the hunter, or you can be the hunted."

--

"Death not for survival but for vanity and pleasure? This is the decadence I sought to curb."

--

"I am not ashamed of what I have become. Other men may debase themselves to destroy me. Let them have their glory. For I will retain mine!"

--

"All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage."

--

"I no longer trust anything anymore. I trust nothing. I believe in no one. I am my own master!"

--

"Perhaps, if you had more time... But then again, perhaps not. Redemption is a rare and special thing, after all. It is not for everyone."

--

"He's the most dangerous man alive. Not so much because he believes in his actions, but because he believes his actions are all which life allows him."

--
"Amos, I'm not some story villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it a month ago."

--

"We won, Lord Templar. Your death amounts to the same as your life: a zero sum."

--

"We are what we pretend to be. So we must be careful of what we pretend to be."

--

"Why are you fighting? For the men who poisoned you and left you to die? For your dead lover? Go on, strike as if you mean it! You know I killed her! Fool! We're of the same breed, you and I. We both kill for others. You think I'm your enemy? I've never lied to you."

--

"I suppose that, in any well-ordered society, people like us would be locked up or killed. But then you would have to get people like us to do the locking up and the killing."

"When pirate Jean Lafitte saw the governor advertising a $500 reward for his capture, Lafitte offered a $5,000 reward for the capture of the governor."

"Okay, first of all, Amos, don't answer me by telling me a problem. I have enough of those already."

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

"Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe fuck yourself."

March 22, 2019, 03:05:40 PM #320 Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:13:50 PM by MeTekillot
"I BET YOU HAVE SOME BEAUTIFUL SCARS. OR DID VIVADU TAKE THEM FROM YOU?"

"You want me to Way your girl?"
"Which one?"

"You can't break a man the way you break a gortok or an inix. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind. Men have this idea that we can fight with dignity, that there's a proper way to kill someone. It's absurd. It's anesthetic. We need it to endure the bloody horror of murder. You must destroy that idea. Show them what a messy, terrible thing it is to kill a man, and then show them that you relish in it. Shoot to wound, then execute the wounded. Burn them. Take them in close combat. Destroy their preconceptions of what a man is and you become their personal monster. When they fear you, you become stronger, you become better. But let's never forget: it's a display, it's a posture, like a kiyet's roar or a braxat thumping at its chest. If you lose yourself in the display, if you succumb to the horror, then you become the monster. You become reduced; not more than a man, but less—and it can be fatal."

"Dear Amos, thank you for your nice letter, but I am actually a Byn Trooper who was born to kill, whereas clearly you seem to have mistaken me for some sort of wine sipping, Tuluki catamite. And although peace probably appeals to tree hugging tregil-fuckers like you and your parents, I happen to be a death-dealing, blood-crazed warrior who wakes up every day just hoping for the chance to dismember my enemies and defile their civilizations. Peace sucks a hairy asshole, Amos. War is the mother-fucking answer."

"Climbing ropes that hang is too difficult. M'aiq prefers to climb the ones that are tied horizontally."

Quote from: Delirium on March 08, 2019, 07:49:37 PM
"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

I've spent the last 25 years thinking that was Eudora Welty when it was actually Flannery O'Connor.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.