Player mounts

Started by Alesan, April 13, 2013, 10:17:49 AM

I'm pretty sure it's intended to be the same mount. The fact that it isn't seems like a code loophole that probably should not be exploited for instant stamina-regenerating mounts.

Quote from: Italis on April 17, 2013, 03:25:00 AM
I'm pretty sure it's intended to be the same mount. The fact that it isn't seems like a code loophole that probably should not be exploited for instant stamina-regenerating mounts.

I was going to say...
Eurynomos
Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Huh. I've been doing it for a couple of years, as have many other people - that's where I got the idea of doing it in the first place: from other players who I observed doing it. It seemed to make sense at the time, and still does - it explains why my new mount suddenly can't hold one waterskin *less* than what it could hold 10 RL minutes ago, while at the same time allowing me to get my mount rested, without having to sit there outside, in a non-stable environment, for the next 20 RL minutes, just so that my mount can regen stamina to go to the next city, if I have to log out in 20 minutes - or possibly be stuck for another hour because after that 20 RL minute rest period it's gonna be time for the gate to close.

It means I don't have to tell people "sorry, I can't go on THAT RPT either" just because I can't risk having to leave while my mount is too exhausted to go further and not being allowed to "switch out" for a "house mount."

I've never heard of anyone objecting to this ICly or OOCly, and as I said, I an others have been doing it for years. I figure between all these people doing it for all this time, surely the staff would've seen *someone* doing it by now and have questioned it to the player by now. It never occurred to me to be "exploiting" anything at all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 17, 2013, 05:00:57 PM
Huh. I've been doing it for a couple of years, as have many other people - that's where I got the idea of doing it in the first place: from other players who I observed doing it. It seemed to make sense at the time, and still does - it explains why my new mount suddenly can't hold one waterskin *less* than what it could hold 10 RL minutes ago, while at the same time allowing me to get my mount rested, without having to sit there outside, in a non-stable environment, for the next 20 RL minutes, just so that my mount can regen stamina to go to the next city, if I have to log out in 20 minutes - or possibly be stuck for another hour because after that 20 RL minute rest period it's gonna be time for the gate to close.

It means I don't have to tell people "sorry, I can't go on THAT RPT either" just because I can't risk having to leave while my mount is too exhausted to go further and not being allowed to "switch out" for a "house mount."

I've never heard of anyone objecting to this ICly or OOCly, and as I said, I an others have been doing it for years. I figure between all these people doing it for all this time, surely the staff would've seen *someone* doing it by now and have questioned it to the player by now. It never occurred to me to be "exploiting" anything at all.

I don't think anyone is accusing you of abuse. A lot of people (wrongly) have been roleplaying that they are getting new mounts out of the stables. It kind of made sense, since codedly you could tell that the mount item being generated by the stable code was a new mount item. It was an OOC explanation for an OOC issue that unfortunately got tossed in IC somewhere along the way.

IC'ly, it isn't a new mount.

Now we know that. We can go forward and roleplay the situation correctly in the future.

No harm, no foul.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

It just looked to me like Italis and Euronymous were implying that they felt I was exploiting it for insta-regen mounts. That is OOCly why I'm doing it, sure. But I don't consider it an exploit. If I'm in a rush, I'm gonna switch out the mount and RP that I'm getting another mount. If I'm not in a rush, I have no problem resting the mount, or stabling it, doing whatever I went to the area to do, taking a reasonable amount of time, and then retrieving *a* mount (whether it's my character's original or not doesn't even matter at that point).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

For what it's worth, it makes more sense that it's a new mount of the same type traded out. Some people store their mounts for a day, some for a year, yet all pay the same price. Maybe if you're a regular visitor to said stable, the stablemaster sets the same one aside for you, but for those guys who go a year before pulling their mount.. Not as much.

What would be cool is to have the same mount all the time and stabling fees based on actual time in.. But, I'm sure it's a coding nightmare. Better to stick with the suspension of disbelief.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 17, 2013, 06:57:18 PM
It just looked to me like Italis and Euronymous were implying that they felt I was exploiting it for insta-regen mounts. That is OOCly why I'm doing it, sure. But I don't consider it an exploit. If I'm in a rush, I'm gonna switch out the mount and RP that I'm getting another mount. If I'm not in a rush, I have no problem resting the mount, or stabling it, doing whatever I went to the area to do, taking a reasonable amount of time, and then retrieving *a* mount (whether it's my character's original or not doesn't even matter at that point).

You were exploiting a code loophole, though not knowing it was a loophole. IC, you give the same mount and you take the same. It shouldn't have rested instantly. I do not think RPing getting a new mount is acceptable even if you were in a rush.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

I find it easier to role-play that you're offering the stablemaster 20 sids to feed, water, and cool your mount while you have an ale. Then pop back over, pay the price, and ride off into the sunset.

Another way is to have mounts at each stable and use a different one when you pull it out.

I do not know its reason but I had heard RL horses may die if they're not allowed to stop. Old Turkish tales tell of messengers riding horses, to the point they croak on the next tribe center, get a new one and proceed.

It would be logical for a well-traveling PC to have several mounts in each stables. And now the odd urge of today; make a dwarf with the focus: "First introduce a mind-blocking poison to all water supplies all around the world, then start a successful messenger service consisting of d-elves and half-elves."

I concur on the idea that you're paying a stablehand to water, feed, and rest your mount while you're off having an ale.

When I was playing this game very regularly a few years ago, I would expect my character to be 'doing stuff' while I wasn't around.  So even if PHYSICALLY the mount had never moved, my character may have been doing tons of things while I was gone.  Taking it out, doing some jobs, getting paid, then blowing all that money by the time I logged back in.  There's several thousand people in those cities [X Character] could associate with while I was off doing real life stuff.

It was just coincidence that I still had the same amount of money  and the mount was back in the stables as when I had when I "logged out". ;)

----

As for horses dying... well, if you ran 300 miles without stopping, you'd die too.

As for horses dying... well, if you ran 300 miles without stopping, you'd die too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Karnazes
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on May 06, 2013, 11:10:58 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Karnazes

Malifaxis? More like FACTSIS.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Are you claiming to be an ultramarathon runner?  Cause I sorta picture any one of us dropping dead after mile fifty of a forced run.

I'm trying to picture it, now.

OH MY GOD

"Ran 350 miles (560 km) in 80 hours and 44 minutes without sleep in 2005"

That's the most incredible thing I've ever heard. Wow. This dude right here. WOW.

D-elf with A.I. endurance..