Player mounts

Started by Alesan, April 13, 2013, 10:17:49 AM

Couldn't decide where to put this, in the end decided this was the most appropriate, considering...

When you lose hold of a mount's reins, can that mount be lost forever?

If you quit out or wander off without the reins, sure, I'd totally take it. As would most elves, hunters, tribals, tribal elven hunters etc..
Also if the game resets and your mount is sitting somewhere, that'll send it virtually into some elves stable.

;)
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

April 13, 2013, 10:41:09 AM #2 Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:42:44 AM by hyzhenhok
Yes, anyone can hitch and take a mount if you are not mounted on it OR both hitched to it and in the same room as it.

However, mounts themselves will (usually) never move unless someone acts on them. If you are confident no one is going to show up and grab your mount's reins than you can relax a bit.

It has happened to someone and my PC got that mount for free from a hunter who brought in.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Okay. Just wondered if it was a coded thing or if it's a "don't leave it, somebody'll nab it" thing.

Good to know. Thanks.  :)

April 13, 2013, 12:04:52 PM #5 Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:07:58 PM by Lizzie
Quote from: Alesan on April 13, 2013, 11:23:36 AM
Okay. Just wondered if it was a coded thing or if it's a "don't leave it, somebody'll nab it" thing.

Good to know. Thanks.  :)

You can also return it to a stables and stable it. Syntax for that is "rent <mount>"

To get it out of the stable, have your ticket loose in your inventory (not held or wielded), and 20 coins loose in your inventory, and type "offer ticket."

If you have a couple of different types of tickets in your inventory (like a ticket to the armor tailor for example), you can "offer 2.ticket" or "offer green.ticket" (or of course you can just put the tickets you don't want, back in a bag or pack or pocket).

Other mount info that can be helpful:

Once you're mounted atop your mount, you can *title* it. Give it a name. "Title inix fudrucker"

That way, you can target your mount by name, which avoids a lot of confusion if you're in a group of people who all have mounts, and come across other people with mounts, or other animals with the same keywords.

You can hitch fudrucker, mount fudrucker, (once it's hitched, you don't have to target it at all - just type MOUNT). Rest fudrucker, rent fudrucker, pack bag fudrucker.. etc. etc.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It's a very good idea to put tickets in backpacks or pockets that can be closed except when you're about to use them.

;)

Giving your mount a name is very helpful if you're with a lot of other people who have mounts also. Just remember it has to be named every time you unstable it.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: InsertCleverNameHere on April 13, 2013, 12:28:24 PM
Giving your mount a name is very helpful if you're with a lot of other people who have mounts also. Just remember it has to be named every time you unstable it.
* ShaLeah would like it if you just had to title your mount once and that would forever be its name.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 13, 2013, 12:45:22 PM
Quote from: InsertCleverNameHere on April 13, 2013, 12:28:24 PM
* ShaLeah would like it if you just had to title your mount once and that would forever be its name.

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

When you give a stablehand a ticket you don't get the same mount you returned, you just get the same species.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on April 13, 2013, 01:37:16 PM
When you give a stablehand a ticket you don't get the same mount you returned, you just get the same species.

:o
Your vision goes black.

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

SIG ID: $1$9UpvKn9m$/hFJYF4D15rFEPC/fDqjs1

It can be the same mount if you want it to be.  The code doesn't support saving hundreds of uniquely titled inixes and beetles.  There is no IC reason the title doesn't stick - it's just the way the code works.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I just got the mental picture of the hundreds of times I've given my car to a valet... and how I'd stab him in the face if he brought me the wrong one.

I know, I know, this is Arm, not real life, still, no reason why a stablemaster wouldn't have a system to organize the mounts in accordance of arrival and departure.
* ShaLeah shakes ^me fist at the sky!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: LauraMars on April 13, 2013, 01:47:01 PM

It can be the same mount if you want it to be.  The code doesn't support saving hundreds of uniquely titled inixes and beetles.  There is no IC reason the title doesn't stick - it's just the way the code works.

It makes a lot more sense to me ICly, it does. Instead of saving up your single inix all this time, feeding it, giving it water, a stable can just let the inix come and go, thereby requiring less space and supplies.

Why do you think rent costs aren't proportional to staying time in the first place?

Quote from: Lizzie on April 13, 2013, 12:04:52 PM

You can also return it to a stables and stable it. Syntax for that is "rent <mount>"

To get it out of the stable, have your ticket loose in your inventory (not held or wielded), and 20 coins loose in your inventory, and type "offer ticket."

If you have a couple of different types of tickets in your inventory (like a ticket to the armor tailor for example), you can "offer 2.ticket" or "offer green.ticket" (or of course you can just put the tickets you don't want, back in a bag or pack or pocket).

Once you're mounted atop your mount, you can *title* it. Give it a name. "Title inix fudrucker"

That way, you can target your mount by name, which avoids a lot of confusion if you're in a group of people who all have mounts, and come across other people with mounts, or other animals with the same keywords.

You can hitch fudrucker, mount fudrucker, (once it's hitched, you don't have to target it at all - just type MOUNT). Rest fudrucker, rent fudrucker, pack bag fudrucker.. etc. etc.

Yep. I read all of the help files and things I could find regarding this. Though I take it the feeding and other maintaining of said mount is virtual? Since I've not seen any mention of it anywhere.

Quote from: Alesan on April 13, 2013, 02:57:53 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on April 13, 2013, 12:04:52 PM

Yep. I read all of the help files and things I could find regarding this. Though I take it the feeding and other maintaining of said mount is virtual? Since I've not seen any mention of it anywhere.

Correct.  You could always roleplay feeding with creative use of the "discard <item>" command, however.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Patuk on April 13, 2013, 02:09:17 PM
It makes a lot more sense to me ICly, it does. Instead of saving up your single inix all this time, feeding it, giving it water, a stable can just let the inix come and go, thereby requiring less space and supplies.

It's cool that you've found an explanation that makes sense to you.  If you like roleplaying that you get a different mount out every time, I'm sure nobody is going to stop you.  However, trying to pass this off as an IC fact in the new player questions forum may lead to misunderstandings, and newbies who think they can't roleplay a relationship with their mount, which is not true.

Why do you think rent costs aren't proportional to staying time in the first place?

Realistically, the different breeds of animals should also have differing rent prices due to greater or lesser food consumption needs - the documentation even says that inix are more expensive to keep.  The price never changes, because it isn't coded to change.  Sometimes the code is just the code, and that's ok.  Someday, maybe the staff will implement a different pricing model for the stables so that different breeds and storage times are taken into consideration - and that will be ok too.  But I doubt it's high on their priority list.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I have always thought the pricing does not change because stables make money the same way nenyuk does.

:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

What LauraMars said.

It's generally assumed when you stable a mount, you unstable the same mount.

But code-wise, it's a different mount with a different score (hence why they are sometimes bleeding lightly, cause of increased hp).

To address the original post, having your mount 'hitched' to your character is important! If your mount is unhitched, it could very well be lost forever. Someone else may 'hitch' it!

If your mount is hitched to you but resting, and you leave the room, it will automatically become unhitched.

Yeah, I have ALWAYS RP'ed getting my same mount back.

But codewise the game just spawns a "random inix/erdlu/beetle" and gives it to you when you unstable them. Thus you need to re-title them again.

Fun fact though ... The game apparently does remember and save their current health and stamina. Because sometimes they respawn with better stats than the had last time, and they look like they're bleeding lightly, because while last time they had 98/98 HP, this spawn they rolled better and thus have 98/112 or some such.

I always RP that off as them getting into a fight in the stables with another animal, or getting pissy with the breed for abusing my inix, etc.
:)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'm not going to argue my point any further, but if I'm in the wrong here, I -will- set up a stable service working like that someday.

Quote from: Patuk on April 14, 2013, 07:44:41 AM
I'm not going to argue my point any further, but if I'm in the wrong here, I -will- set up a stable service working like that someday.

It's not that there's really anything substantial to argue here.  We are playing a game that doesn't represent every possible detail we might possibly want to know about how the world works, because first of all, it couldn't ever possibly do that, and second of all, there are some realistic details that would make the game worse if they were represented.  You will always find inconsistencies between the game code and what you might imagine as the "logical" way that a real world would work.

Sure, it doesn't make sense that a stable can house a mount for an infinite amount of time for a finite amount of coin.  That's because the game doesn't represent the detail about how a longer time certainly requires more resources, since in game code terms, a stable is not a business that actually feeds mounts and has to recoup those costs.

However, from a realistic standpoint, it doesn't make sense to have a mount-swapping service either.  Think about it: if you just bought a young, strong healthy mount, are you just going to turn it in to a mount-swapping service where it will disappear forever?  You may well receive a weak, sick mount in return, one that might die on you out in the wastes, leaving you possibly dead, and at the least out of a mount since you can't very well haul the carcass back in for a replacement.  In such a scenario, it only makes sense to stable the most worthless of mounts with such a service.  It only seems to make more sense to you because you're focusing on one realistic detail that the game code doesn't represent (mount feeding and maintenance over time), but ignoring another realistic detail that the game code doesn't represent (mounts aging, getting sick, and dying over time).

So in fact there is really no meaningful "argument" to be had here, just different perspectives on how the real coded game of Zalanthas might correspond to some imaginary "real world of Zalanthas"

April 14, 2013, 06:43:27 PM #23 Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:45:29 PM by Lizzie
There have been times when I (the player) had time constraints, but needed (ICly) to get something done before logging out for the night. In cases like that, where my IC time is limited by my OOC needs, I might actually RP asking the stablehand NPC to "switch out" for a public mount, and basically turn in my mount and get a fresh one out.

It's not something I do all the time, because usually I stable a mount and stick around for awhile before setting off again. But I assume there are "house mounts" and "public mounts" that people can switch out for. And ICly, you will get whatever similar animal they give you - and sometimes it can't carry as much as your other one could. But that's a risk you have to take when you trade. And of course it's RPing that someone else is getting the one you had, and you'll be turning the one you're in to some other stablehand at some point..and so on and so forth.

In essence, the only way you can be assured that you're getting *your* mount back, is if you keep it in a non-virtual stable. Public stables are for public animals, and your ticket is a ticket to any inix in the pen - even if yours is exhausted. The stablehand will see that it's rested and watered, and rent it out to the next person looking for an inix.

I should add - while some of my characters refer fondly to their mounts as "theirs" - they don't really believe the mounts are the same ones they purchased. They also know that they can't tell the difference between one and the other, but that the mounts will answer to a name if one is given, and that's good enough for my PCs.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I have always roleplayed I get the same mount back. Why? Because a lot of characters develop an attachment to their mounts. Certain mounts would ALWAYS be the same mount you put in the stable, no matter what, find out IC.

I know codedly it is a "new mount" when it comes out, but that is just a coding issue. If that coding issue didn't exist, this conversation wouldn't exist.

The whole, "Its a new mount." IC reasoning problem, is just an unfortunate product of certain portions of the playerbase trying to create an IC reason for an OOC construct issue in my opinion.

I wish staff would chime in on this so we can stop having this debate every couple of years.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.