Furthering commerce and trade on Zalanthas

Started by Incognito, April 07, 2013, 04:00:13 PM

April 11, 2013, 07:28:01 PM #225 Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:58:06 PM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Fredd on April 11, 2013, 07:02:52 PM
Quote from: Erythil on April 11, 2013, 06:33:09 PM
Quote from: Twilight on April 10, 2013, 03:53:04 PM
I think it would be neat if GMH PC leaders got an automated list every week from the mud that listed out the sdesc of everyone who sold over, lets say 10, items to one of their shops in the region they are responsible for in the last week.  Just a sdesc, a number of items, and how much sid the GMH forked over for those items.  Not a list of everyone, just a list of those people that did it frequently enough to catch the House's attention.

I really like this idea.

I mean, for companies to stay in charge of their monopolies for 3+ centuries, they aren't doing it solely based on the strength of their business acumen.

It also makes dealing with this problem something that can be handled player-to-player and create more action.

I agree with this. When i played a GMH family member. I tried to pay as close attention to the markets as possible. But it was neigh impossible sometimes.

Sounds like you need to hire you a burg, merchant, or assassin to do this for you. ;)
The PCs working for you want something to do besides their "one trick" most of the time.
The PCs not working for you are good when you want things to happen that don't easily trace back to you.

Remember: GMH leaders have the same responsibility to fuel the economy as the Indies that are being hated on, if not more so.
                  Getting your clan/clannies rich is not your only responsibility.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on April 11, 2013, 07:28:01 PM
Quote from: Fredd on April 11, 2013, 07:02:52 PM
Quote from: Erythil on April 11, 2013, 06:33:09 PM
Quote from: Twilight on April 10, 2013, 03:53:04 PM
I think it would be neat if GMH PC leaders got an automated list every week from the mud that listed out the sdesc of everyone who sold over, lets say 10, items to one of their shops in the region they are responsible for in the last week.  Just a sdesc, a number of items, and how much sid the GMH forked over for those items.  Not a list of everyone, just a list of those people that did it frequently enough to catch the House's attention.

I really like this idea.

I mean, for companies to stay in charge of their monopolies for 3+ centuries, they aren't doing it solely based on the strength of their business acumen.

It also makes dealing with this problem something that can be handled player-to-player and create more action.

I agree with this. When i played a GMH family member. I tried to pay as close attention to the markets as possible. But it was neigh impossible sometimes.

Sounds like you need to hire you a burg, merchant, or assassin to do this for you. ;)
The PCs working for you want something to do besides their "one trick" most of the time.
The PCs not working for you are good when you want things to happen that don't easily trace back to you.

Remember: GMH leaders have the same responsibility to fuel the economy as the Indies that are being hated on, if not more so.
                  Getting your clan/clannies rich is not your own responsibility.

Oh trust me, I did. When I would find out who was flooding the markets, I'de hire some independent help.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

It would seem that if an organization is paying -protection- then perhaps that is one aspect that what they pay for covers, perhaps there only needs to be a little more paid for the premium coverage. To include protection of the market place.

Just a thought.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

While I agree about PC help, it really makes sense that the information should be at the disposal of the House.  It just resides with NPC merchants.  Engaging PCs to gather incomplete information when the House itself has the complete information seems sort of backwards.  Especially if you are consigning some poor PC to watch your shop hours on end.

Assigning some poor PC to watch someone that you -know- is selling a certain amount of volume to your House (after all, selling to your House isn't necessarily impacting your monopoly, its really enhancing it if you can make the spread, so shouldn't necessarily result in reprisal) to see if they are doing sales to others....that sounds much more rewarding for that poor PC.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

April 12, 2013, 02:52:04 PM #229 Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:57:12 PM by Zephy
I've never played an indy merchant before that was not assocaited with some house or clan. The one time I did, it was hard, as it should be. Finding hunters/trusting people that won't kill you/making deals - generally getting supplies and hope you manage to make it another rl day.

It's not easy - not at all. So maybe the rewards are higher? And indy merchants usually do not last for obvious reasons. Also, keep in mind a good indy mercant will spread those hard earned coins around to players that need jobs or to buy supplies. Even if you play alot, you are makng plots to enure the survival of your pc's with other pc's or simply findiing a way to get to point a from point b.

Sounds more like people are upset can't sell their items. Maybe the indy merchant should start making items no one else is making (ie tools, rope - other things that are needed in game but hard to find).