Discussion of changes to Armageddon Website

Started by Morgenes, April 01, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

It looks gorgeous.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

April 01, 2013, 07:41:17 AM #51 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:55:38 AM by Nyr
Quote from: greasygemo on April 01, 2013, 04:33:34 AM
AHHH WHERE IS MY FRAMES HELPFILE PAGE!?!?! I NEED IT TO LIVE!!

Edit: Also... Where are the illnesses!! I really wanted to double check something about those.. worm things.. I cant remember what they are called ;_;

I'm adding a new page for illnesses as we speak.  Will need to talk to Morg about whether it should be Illnesses or Zalanthan Illnesses, but regardless, that's easy enough to change.

Still adding the entries beneath it.

edit:  actually, Disease already exists (under the Health category) so I'll migrate all of these over there

new link:  http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Disease
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Small suggestion - The helpfile on reading notes that literacy is illegal, but I think it would be helpful to note it on the write page too. Up top. Where newbies will see it.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

There.  Diseases are now documented!

Quote from: Barzalene on April 01, 2013, 07:46:31 AM
Small suggestion - The helpfile on reading notes that literacy is illegal, but I think it would be helpful to note it on the write page too. Up top. Where newbies will see it.

I added the same blurb for literacy in the write helpfile that there is in the read helpfile.  It's not right up top because it is not up top in the "read" helpfile.  I think it's okay (personally) to have it just somewhere in the text, provided it is present.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Other things that are kinda cool on the new website if it's not immediately apparent:

• There's a different view for mobile phones, tablets, and regular old computers.
  • All of the web pages (for the most part) are helpfiles.  Since Nessalin and Morgenes did all of that work with the database, that means that any staffer can create a helpfile, which also means any staffer can adjust things on the website, which means no more waiting forever to get most website stuff updated.
  • If you set up Gravatar with your e-mail account associated with Armageddon, you can put up your own little avatar in all of your requests and request replies.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 01, 2013, 03:02:12 AM
Quote from: Taven on April 01, 2013, 02:57:35 AM
Please, please, please: Consider adding a section, right at the top, on the main orange bar of links that just says "rules".

Agreed. Be a good thing to link from the Intro page as well.

I don't think putting as one of the main menu items is worth it.  Consider the limited real estate there.  Not everyone has a 24 inch monitor, and consideration must be given to phones and tablets.  It took a lot of discussion to get it down to categorical options.  Yes, putting the Rules somewhere in the Intro subheading is probably the best place for it.

Checking armageddon from my iPhone was one of the first things I tried.  It worked nicely!

Checked this out first from my Android and it looks great, looks even better on the big screen. Nice job!
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

I told someone it was a 20 year old website...

I don't know what I'll do- this one seems so foreign...but there are RED CLIFFS
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

The login/requests section is pretty cool. :)

Original submissions needs categories and a way to browse beyond the first page.

Very sexy, very cool. Of course the color schemer in me wants to tear out the red hyperlinks over brown text, but I understand it's designed to evoke the kind of visuals that the game environment descriptions do.

Quote from: palomar on April 01, 2013, 08:38:42 AM
Original submissions needs categories and a way to browse beyond the first page.

We haven't fully fleshed out these the way we want them to be, but you can search original submissions by author, contents, title, etc.

April 01, 2013, 08:53:17 AM #62 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:56:00 AM by JustAnotherGuy
I think the player helper chat should be more available like it was on the old site and also a Help link that goes to some newb friendly topics or into a search panel that will help searching help files would be good for newbs.  I didn't realize at first the site was actually displaying help files initially.  Just think the world HELP would be more likely clicked on than most things by someone that is new to the game and website.

Otherwise the site looks awesome, a very good job by all that worked on it.

EDIT:  Just noticed the player helper chat IS on the site.  Just not as visible... kinda blends in with the rest of the site.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Yep.  It's actually in about three places on the front page.

"Player Helpers" -- under New to MUDS
GET LIVE HELP -- under the mantis beckoning in an oh-so-friendly manner
"Player Helpers" -- under "Intro"

However, the button is not working for my browsers.  Works on my phone, though.  I'm checking into it.

Quote from: palomar on April 01, 2013, 08:38:42 AM

Type 'artwork' into the search bar.

As for paging, keep scrolling down, you'll find the next page.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Cutthroat on April 01, 2013, 12:53:26 AM
One thing I did notice is that I can't seem to access clan docs from anywhere. The most I can get to is an individual clan's helpfile page (nice that you can submit a request to that clan from the helpfile page, btw).

We're slowly moving clan documentation to clan discussion boards.  So far, we've been "revamping and rebooting" documentation for clans prior to doing this.  Since we've moved to the new site, you can still access the old documentation (temporarily) by putting old.armageddon.org/etc for the clan page.  However, this won't be around forever.  In the cases of clans where documentation has not been revamped yet, we will probably move the documentation wholesale over to the clan boards, and cut the links on the old site.

Is there no way to see server uptime now, or am I just missing it?
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I love it. I love it I love it I love it!!!!!!
I would really like to see how many people are logged in right now when I hit the main page though :)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Seriously awesome job everyone who worked on implementing the new website!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on April 01, 2013, 10:03:55 AM

Since several people have asked, and staff haven't commented once on it. I'm guessing it was intentionally left out. I liked seeing how high it could go, shows stability.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Fredd on April 01, 2013, 10:26:57 AM

Since several people have asked, and staff haven't commented once on it. I'm guessing it was intentionally left out. I liked seeing how high it could go, shows stability.

It could also potentially be used to time shop/animal resets and stuff, so it could be a purposeful omission or just staff not noticing it in the middle of all the other conversation going on.

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 10:27:56 AM
Quote from: Fredd on April 01, 2013, 10:26:57 AM

It could also potentially be used to time shop/animal resets and stuff, so it could be a purposeful omission or just staff not noticing it in the middle of all the other conversation going on.

My guess was it's to make people actively go check the shops and such, to see if they 'need more inventory' and make hunters go out and actually...hunt.

I don't mind the omission, I just always liked to see 22 days, and such. Perhapse because I remember times that just getting to 10 was an "OMG" moment for me.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Scrolling down to quickly results in a background screen with no text.
It would be good to see current game time and also time since last reboot inlcuded on the page. I actualy use both of these regularly.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Many people use the days since last reboot. It was useful for a lot of things, but maybe not always in a way the imms always wanted. Easy "abuse" of this was in hunting/grebbing as described, but it had other fun uses that I think will be missed: the chance of finding a random player corpse, or knowing if my mission to find my dead friend's things is totally pointless or not based on last reboot time.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on April 01, 2013, 12:00:28 PM
Many people use the days since last reboot. It was useful for a lot of things, but maybe not always in a way the imms always wanted. Easy "abuse" of this was in hunting/grebbing as described, but it had other fun uses that I think will be missed: the chance of finding a random player corpse, or knowing if my mission to find my dead friend's things is totally pointless or not based on last reboot time.

That shouldn't guide your IC actions, though, knowing if that corpse is already gone or not because of a reboot, just like people shouldn't plan their trips from Tuluk to Allanak depending on when the last reboot was.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."