Discussion of changes to Armageddon Website

Started by Morgenes, April 01, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

Regardless of any buggy type issues, this is absolutely rocking. Welcome to the new age of MUDding.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Question. Really fucking noob question.....

How exactly are we post-apoc?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

It's not that I have a strong opinion about it. It just feels gaudy compared to the simplicity of the other one. Some reason my eyes don't like the text/background colors together.

We've always been post-apoc. Not post-modern post-apoc, but fantasy world post-apoc, at least. The Empire of Man fell...

Also, the website is fancy, sleek, and kick-ass. I really, really like it, even though there's a part of me sad that newbies won't grow up seeing the old website. I still remember using the old java applet before I even knew what java was. Regardless, wonderful stuff. Artwork, layout, color scheme, secret shout-out to me hidden in the html. All good stuff. Thank you, staff.
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.

April 01, 2013, 01:10:29 AM #29 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:13:15 AM by Morgenes
Quote from: LauraMars on April 01, 2013, 12:54:25 AM
This looks a bit weird - when I click the "new request" button under the my account menu in the upper right hand corner, the page comes up like this:

When I click outside that box, the menu does collapse, but when the page first loads, the menu also loads as "selected"

(browser: Chrome
operating system Windows 7)

The list of request types is opened automatically when you load the page so you can choose what request type you want.  It flows weird because of the height of the page, I could not default select it, but you have no choice but to choose a type.  I suggest you try typing immediately and see what you think.  Then try coming in, clicking so it looses focus (imagining that's how the page would default load), then click into it to choose your type.  Just trying to save a click.

I am assuming that I have your complaint right.

Quote from: Fredd on April 01, 2013, 01:04:54 AM
Question. Really fucking noob question.....

How exactly are we post-apoc?

It's in the Chronology.

Quote from: Scarecrow on April 01, 2013, 12:57:53 AM
I can't log into the site, new or old, or even connect to the game at the moment.

Of course as we launch the site, our DNS provider is suffering issues, we can't even contact them to register a ticket.  I hope this means they realize that their service is down.  Our apologies for the unfortunate timing.  In the meantime you can use our IP:  http://209.159.155.76/

Edited: And no sooner do I post about it, it's back up.  Apologies again folks.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 01:10:29 AM
Quote from: LauraMars on April 01, 2013, 12:54:25 AM
This looks a bit weird - when I click the "new request" button under the my account menu in the upper right hand corner, the page comes up like this:

When I click outside that box, the menu does collapse, but when the page first loads, the menu also loads as "selected"

(browser: Chrome
operating system Windows 7)

The list of request types is opened automatically when you load the page so you can choose what request type you want.  It flows weird because of the height of the page, I could not default select it, but you have no choice but to choose a type.  I suggest you try typing immediately and see what you think.  Then try coming in, clicking so it looses focus (imagining that's how the page would default load), then click into it to choose your type.  Just trying to save a click.

I am assuming that I have your complaint right.

It works perfectly - you're right.  I actually love the search bar because I use the Windows search function (in the start menu) all the time to load programs and look for files - so this feels very natural to me.  I guess it just looks a bit odd because of the footer.

One thing I might suggest for the request tool is to have it "remember" whether or not you want your requests e-mailed to you automatically.  Either that, or have the checkbox auto-checked on every new request.  It's really helpful to have a copy of your request in your inbox, as recent events have shown.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Now defaults to checked.  I'll look at saving that later.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Thank you!  I've submitted three requests with the new tool so far.  It works perfectly!

Quote from: LauraMars on April 01, 2013, 01:27:44 AM
Thank you!  I've submitted three requests with the new tool so far.  It works perfectly!

I just checked and only see two (both resolved), can you verify that you think you submitted a third, and do you see it in your request list?  Shoot me an email if you need to talk further about it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

April 01, 2013, 01:50:25 AM #34 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:52:11 AM by LauraMars
Whoops, no. One of the requests was a request cancellation, which also got copied to my email.  Is that a new feature as well, or was that in the last incarnation?

Considering I first saw the new site from a hacked-together 5-year old laptop using a super-lightweight, obscure Linux distro, I think this is working out pretty well.  No problems so far!

Love the new info menus.  Never can underestimate the value of cataloguing, even if it doesn't seem to represent the game very well...

But that's not an issue.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: LauraMars on April 01, 2013, 01:50:25 AM
Whoops, no. One of the requests was a request cancellation, which also got copied to my email.  Is that a new feature as well, or was that in the last incarnation?

The last incarnation was inconsistent in how it handled sending messages. They now all share the same code, so you should get email about each step of the process, even if you initiated it. 

Quote from: Dalmeth on April 01, 2013, 01:51:02 AM
Considering I first saw the new site from a hacked-together 5-year old laptop using a super-lightweight, obscure Linux distro, I think this is working out pretty well.  No problems so far!

Love the new info menus.  Never can underestimate the value of cataloguing, even if it doesn't seem to represent the game very well...

But that's not an issue.

Feel free to submit a request (or start a thread) discussing your preferred menus, include the Hierarchy (up to 3 levels), and what page it should link to. 
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 12:42:56 AM
Quote from: Sephiroto on April 01, 2013, 12:32:58 AM
I have yet to find any links that point to the terms of service or rules for playing the game.  I'm not sure if that's buried somewhere, but in light of today's April Fools to be or not to be, I think this should be on the front page and very easy to find, regardless of whether or not the new changes Adhira posted were real.
Fair enough, Rules can be found by searching for 'Rules', it should be mentioned in the Intro documentation, but we can add it if not.

I would really like to say that I think rules should be made immediately obvious. If new people are coming to the game, they may not read through all of the intro documentation. I can't easily find the rules going through the sections, so I only imagine that it would be more difficult for new players.

Please, please, please: Consider adding a section, right at the top, on the main orange bar of links that just says "rules".
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on April 01, 2013, 02:57:35 AM
Please, please, please: Consider adding a section, right at the top, on the main orange bar of links that just says "rules".

Agreed. Be a good thing to link from the Intro page as well.

The drovian helpfile still reads that it's a 5 karma guild.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Kind of curious why the Sand Jakhals and Dune Stalkers are still listed on the Desert Elf tribes page, while the Red Fang aren't.  :(
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on April 01, 2013, 03:46:57 AM
Kind of curious why the Sand Jakhals and Dune Stalkers are still listed on the Desert Elf tribes page, while the Red Fang aren't.  :(

It's a list of existing tribes and such, I believe those tribes are around even if only vnpcly. The Red Fangs... find out IC.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on April 01, 2013, 03:49:24 AM

It's a list of existing tribes and such, I believe those tribes are around even if only vnpcly. The Red Fangs... find out IC.

The Red Fangs were destroyed.  This happened well over a year ago, you can talk about it if not exact specifics.  That is why they are not on the list.

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 03:53:25 AM
Quote from: BleakOne on April 01, 2013, 03:49:24 AM

The Red Fangs were destroyed.  This happened well over a year ago, you can talk about it if not exact specifics.  That is why they are not on the list.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude... I was trying to be like... cryptic and obvious at the same time... duuude.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

April 01, 2013, 04:02:24 AM #45 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:23:48 AM by maxid
edit: Nevermind not going to derail.  Don't be dense, though, just tell people things, looking cryptic doesn't benefit the game.

vvv As pointed out, he was overly stringent.  I am being polite!  ;)

Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:02:24 AM
edit: Nevermind not going to derail.  Don't be dense, though, just tell people things, looking cryptic doesn't benefit the game.

He was trying to abide the IC info on the forums rule. Try and be polite, maxid.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

April 01, 2013, 04:33:34 AM #47 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:38:49 AM by greasygemo
AHHH WHERE IS MY FRAMES HELPFILE PAGE!?!?! I NEED IT TO LIVE!!

Edit: Also... Where are the illnesses!! I really wanted to double check something about those.. worm things.. I cant remember what they are called ;_;
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Quote from: Scarecrow on April 01, 2013, 04:19:50 AM
Quote from: maxid on April 01, 2013, 04:02:24 AM
edit: Nevermind not going to derail.  Don't be dense, though, just tell people things, looking cryptic doesn't benefit the game.

He was trying to abide the IC info on the forums rule. Try and be polite, maxid.

It's not really secret info any more.  It's on the timeline.

April 01, 2013, 05:54:55 AM #49 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:57:13 AM by Barsook
Quote from: Kismetic on April 01, 2013, 02:34:38 AM
Kudos, looks great.

ETA: Can the in game time be on every page on the site?  Or is that too much?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points