Changes to ArmageddonMUD

Started by Adhira, March 31, 2013, 01:33:57 PM

March 31, 2013, 01:33:57 PM Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:37:06 PM by Adhira
Hello all,

As previously noted http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,45208.0.html we have had an influx of new players in the last month.  Having such a large amount of newbies at one time has brought a number of issues to the forefront.  Staff have identified newbie recruitment and retention as the paramount goal for the mud for the next 6 months.

To that end there are a number of changes that we will be looking to implement over the next 2 months. The aim is to make the mud easier for new folks to acclimate to and appeal to the broadest subsection of potential new players.

* Due to complaints of a legal nature we will be shifting our game focus to ensure that it is a safer and more predictable environment for those concerned.  More specifically we are declaring a moratorium on roleplay of a sexual nature.  Relationship storylines may still be pursued in game but should in no way, shape or form involve extensive nudity or sexual interaction. Violence at the coded level is allowed but in depth torture scenes should be Fade to Black.

PG Definition -- "Parental Guidance Suggested. Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children": The Rating Board applies this rating when the members believe the film contains themes or content that parents may find inappropriate for younger children. The film can contain some profanity, violence or brief nudity, but only in relatively mild intensity. A PG film should not include drug use.

* New players will be limited to Human only for their first 2 characters.  The armageddon concepts of dwarf and elf are not the fantasy norm.  We notice that many new players have difficulty playing these roles. We will be limiting new players to the human race only for the first 2 characters in order to give them time to acclimate to our game before launching these more challenging roles.

* We will be implementing a global OOC newbie channel.  The ability to toggle this off will be granted after the first month of play.

* We will be tweaking our previously stated goal of running player created plots only.  For the past 2 years staff have been running 'seasonal'plotlines where they have been allowed to create staff led plotlines within a set time frame.  We will be removing the seasonal limitations and allowing staff to once again create plotlines.  Staff plotlines will have the overall aim of involving players and advancing changes to the game world.  High level NPCs will still be restricted in terms of animation time and reports to clans will continue to be made via the request tool as the primary method.

* We will be tweaking the list of approved words for sdescs. For example the words 'maiden' and 'brute' will be removed from this list.

* We will be implementing changes to the GDB. Clan boards will be shifting to a resource for documentation only.  We will be shifting back to using in game boards for other clan communication such as monthly checkin's, rumor posts etc. We will also be allowing 'veteran' players to post in the newbie forum.  Currently we have been shifting those posts to General Discussion, we will no longer do this as long as the post is a real 'newb' question.

We realise that some of the listed changes will require a major shift in gameplay. We understand that there may be a learning period for all of us as we move forward to this next phase in the life of ArmageddonMUD.  Thank you for your patience, let's all work together ot make this mud the best RPI out there.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Dear playerbase,

I am sorry that some of you have a hard time with the proposed changes. In that light we are revok....

Oh wait.

Sorry guys, this was (of course!) an Apri Fools prank.

I know, I know. It was a day early for you USA based folks.  What can I say, it was April 1st in my country. Now that it's officially past 12pm on the West Coast I'm coming clean.

We did seed the more ridiculous with some things that were actually verging on truth, or at least had been discussed staff side at some point so that our prank seemed a little more plausible.  For those that wish to know more I'll go in to a little detail here:

* Newbie retention as our paramount goal.

This is a goal for the mud. It's not the paramount goal. But it's something definitely on our radar.

* PG rating.  This is completely bogus. We are not considering this, we will never consider this. You are welcome to continue on with your RP as you choose. All we ask is that you follow the consent rules for the mud.

To those of you that played along and pretended it was for real, thank you for giving us a bunch of laughs.  To those of you that weren't sure and hedged your bets one way or the other, thanks to you also for giving us a bunch of laughs.

* Limiting new players to human only.  We've thrown this idea around. Playing some of the races on armageddon is hard. We don't have any plans to introduce this right now, but there are reasons for and against it and we may look at this again, some time.

* Global newbie channel.  This was bogus.  We're torn on it being something some wants, others don't, but above and beyond that we do not have the code in place to do this.

* Changes to approved words for sdesc. This is a possiblity. It's not on anyones to-do list right now, but it doesn't hurt to look at this kind of thing every now and then.

* Changes to the GDB and clan boards.  This is also a possiblity. Right now it's hampered by code.  If we can get the solution we'd like to see working in game, then this is something we will definitely be considering.

*  Staff run plots. Ermaghard. What? A joke right? Actually this one is true. We've had the ability to create staff-led plotlines (within reason), we just had a primary focus of supporting player-led plotlines. We did dovetail a few staff dreamt up plots on to things that players maybe-could-should be doing and turned that staff run plot in to something that players were involved in. We have also done plot 'seasons' where we'd all throw a bunch of things out there to see what players might pick up, some things went swimmingly, others didn't get any love and died.

Staff have previously shied away from conversations about why the staff never run plotlines anymore, really we don't want to get in to a debate about this.  I'll come out now and say - we are creating plots.  In fact I encourage everyone to get involved in things you see happening in game in the next few months. We continually see calls for HRPTs etc.  These ARE possible if PLAYERS get involved. While staff can and will create plotlines, we won't railroad everyone in to them. If your characters don't pick up the reins when we lay them down that HRPT might never get there.   Right now we're preparing for a bonanza of events. If you guys get in and get things going I think we'll all be in for a good time in the months to come.

There. It's all out there. Thanks for making April 1st fun everyone.  The staff thank you for your support, we hope you keep voting.  We hope that you got at least a little bit of a giggle out of our prank. We sure did!
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.