Tattoos indicating where a character is from

Started by phoenixdoll, March 30, 2013, 11:22:37 PM

Can anyone explain the tattoo thing in a little greater detail?

I only gave my character a band, rather than a 5 pronged star. What does that mean? Have I made some kind of mistake? I'm really not certain what I should be saying in regards to where my character is from.

March 30, 2013, 11:40:14 PM #1 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:41:55 PM by hyzhenhok
The two tattoos have different meanings:

a purple and blue inked band: indicates your character was born in the North (also known as "Gol Krathu"). Must be placed on the neck, head or face.
a six-pronged star: indicates your character is a citizen of Tuluk. Must be placed on the hands.

It's possible for characters to have one and not the other, but they are not mutually exclusive. Most characters in Tuluk get both tattoos. If you have a band but no star, it means you were born in the north but are not a citizen of Tuluk. If you have a star and not a band, it means you are a citizen but were not born in the north. The latter is much rarer than the former.

If you want your character to be a citizen, you can probably correct the issue by contacting staff through Wish or a request. But don't worry, in the meantime most Northern PCs will see your band and assume you are a citizen. Just wear some gloves.

If I remember correctly, it's also explained at Chargen, when you take your ink (but it's been a while for me so I'm not quite sure.).
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

March 31, 2013, 06:43:25 AM #3 Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:18:21 PM by Dakota
While I believe it's explained in the Character Gen (before you actually enter the world when you're PC is in the n00b area w. the merchants..), the basic run down is this.

Six-pronged Star on the hands = You are a Tuluki Citizen. This has advantages (in Tuluk) and disadvantages elsewhere in the world

the purple and blue inked band = you were born in the North. Most PC's from Luirs and Tuluk have this.

Tattoos in general are very important to Tuluki's as well as Tribal's. Theirs more information about it (regarding Tuluki's) here.

Basically to Tuluki's, tattoos are a very important part of their culture that dates back to the founding of Tuluk.
Czar of City Elves.

Tribals living in the area surrounding Tuluk are, I'm, mostly certain, considered subjegated to the Sun King and get the band and not the star.

Someone said something like that once but I'm not completely sure. Nor am I sure how large the subjegated area is.

The only problem with that You were born in the North, get the band thing is that people entering the game in Luir's do not get a chance to get the band. Fixy fix?

Err, since when do people from Luir's consider themselves "from the north" or get the band tattoo?  Completely news to me!

Quote from: Kismetic on March 31, 2013, 11:57:51 AM
Err, since when do people from Luir's consider themselves "from the north" or get the band tattoo?  Completely news to me!

Me too. Well, the second part, anyway. Half of my Luirspeople are proud to be from the north; the other half don't care; and funny thing is its usually dependent on where they happen to end up working.

Luir's is not a part of Gol Krathu, therefore, they do not warrant the tattoo.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Looks like that got answered, but here's a helpfile with more more in depth stuff.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/tattoos/

Commoners who are Tuluki citizens get Six-pronged tattoos, by the way, not five.  Though that's more a nitpick than anything.  Nobles get a seven-pronged star.

I am mildly concerned that some posts here seem to indicate you can get the purple and blue inked band without major consequences when outside of Tuluk. it's just as bad as the star is for most southerners, out of ignorance both ICly and OOCly, because with gloves on the assumption will be that the other tattoo is there for either one.

Very few characters "from Luir's outpost" or "surrounding tribals" get either of those two tattoos. There are many regions that Luirs' tribals come from, Gol Krathu might be one but it's definitely not all.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on March 31, 2013, 03:33:13 PM
I am mildly concerned that some posts here seem to indicate you can get the purple and blue inked band without major consequences when outside of Tuluk. it's just as bad as the star is for most southerners, out of ignorance both ICly and OOCly, because with gloves on the assumption will be that the other tattoo is there for either one.

Very few characters "from Luir's outpost" or "surrounding tribals" get either of those two tattoos. There are many regions that Luirs' tribals come from, Gol Krathu might be one but it's definitely not all.

One person said that and was corrected.  Then documentation was posted too.  Relax.

Some things need reiteration. I am more relaxed right now than you even know
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

April 20, 2013, 12:34:38 PM #12 Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:50:35 PM by racurtne
Quote from: maxid on March 31, 2013, 01:09:33 PM
Looks like that got answered, but here's a helpfile with more more in depth stuff.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/tattoos/

Commoners who are Tuluki citizens get Six-pronged tattoos, by the way, not five.  Though that's more a nitpick than anything.  Nobles get a seven-pronged star.

This link is broken.

Is this information somewhere else on the site? I've been unable to find it. In fact, Nyr linked something on the Redsun Commons a while back and I have yet to find my way their through the menus on the site. I must be doing something wrong.

Edit: Okay, I found that, but not the tattoos. Well, the Tuluk Details section has a mention of these two, but is not as detailed as the previous link.
Alea iacta est