Sexual Taboos

Started by MeTekillot, March 27, 2013, 09:36:48 PM

April 22, 2013, 08:41:55 AM #175 Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:27:50 AM by Fujikoma
I see. Yeah, figured being "exceptional" is frowned upon by many of the posts I've read.

The concept of social suicide doesn't really stop my characters. They can see something just isn't done, but do it anyway... Kinda like an elf stealing. I understand the desire for world consistency, but my character will always do what he feels he must do, consequences be damned.

EDITED

Reason: possible disclosure of too much character detail, my mistake, I'm sorry.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Honestly, being the exception is fine so long as you brace for and accept the normal majority, and what they're going to do to you because of your exceptionalism.

It's the people who do the exception then rage about the consequences that are kinda lame  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Indeed, ain't gonna rage. Consequences are part of the fun.

Totes!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I wrote a post once about playing the exception.  In a nutshell, it's fine to do that, but there comes a point when your "playing the exception" with multiple characters has you "playing the exception" habitually, and we on staff would have to question exactly what is going on there.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Luckily, there's nothing in ARM documentation discouraging me from making every character bisexual.  ;) I just can't quite get my head into how not to be.
I do wind up playing the weighted side of the statistics bin in certain things based around player personality / availability and not character ... playing certain gender, race, guild, clanning, focus if applicable, and interaction decisions ... it's enjoyable to fit what I wind up with into the world though, and still plenty of artistic room to explore varying forms of 'normal' (a character is definitely more interesting when they reflect their culture I'd say).

Someone already said this somewhere, but I think it deserves echoing:

Everyone's exceptional in a few ways, and normal in a bunch of others. As long as you're playing a character that's generally normal with just a few strange traits I don't think you should be wrecking people's immersion. If you are then it probably means your RP is unrealistically focused on your character's unusual traits, and you need to emphasize their normal traits a bit more.

Quote from: Kalai on April 22, 2013, 10:52:54 AM
Luckily, there's nothing in ARM documentation discouraging me from making every character bisexual.  ;)

There's absolutely nothing taboo about being bisexual on Arm.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I just keep coming back to this thread to laugh at the above gif.

For some reason it is hilarious to me.  :D
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Why are there no elf / dwarf breeds

Biology
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

If I've been reading things correctly, which is a bit IF... It's because there's so little difference between humans and elves... Dwarves, on the other hand, to mate with humans require magickal intervention, then the mother dies and the offspring is infertile. A dwarf/elf breed would easily rival and destroy humanity, I'd figure, were it able to reproduce, even without some awesome psioinic blessing. Figure the game is all about the humans. A mixture of those races would render humanity obsolete.

All that said, an elven mul would be fun to see in the arena. But It'd likely end up a gith.

might be a cool plotline sometime i guess

It sounds cool to me, but imagine for a second the elven fixation on taking things which would not be give if all the facts were known alongside the pull of a dwarven focus, and a wisdom which would suffer no or little penalty (compared to human) from the blending of the two races... Shit, that sounds cool as fuck to me, finally, all those purists would end up with something else to worry about... Something fucking scary.

What if...
When one crosses an elf with a dwarf...
One gets...
A HUMAN!?!?!
And -that- is where they all came from.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Find out IC.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.