Sexual Taboos

Started by MeTekillot, March 27, 2013, 09:36:48 PM

Quote from: BleakOne on April 15, 2013, 07:55:43 AM
I think even for nobles in Allanak, it is ok for them to spend a lot of time with commoners. The problem would be with relating to them as 'friends' or equals, which would probably be looked at much the same as a person in RL becoming close friends or equals with a pet spider (i.e. quite odd, perhaps insane). For southern nobles, I imagine commoners are tools. They can be used as a means to get entertainment, service towards a goal, props to posture with, ect. A noble would likely believe that Commoners exist to serve the nobility.

Agreed. Commoners should be used for all their worth, exploited. Why wouldn't Nakki nobles take what they want when they want? I can even see gaining real affection for (this is how they become concubines/in service for a long time). Love? I certainly wouldn't toot THAT to the world, nor get caught, NOR tell that commoner no matter how much they told me.

Love can be exploited and abused and used to manipulate someone much more effectively than sex.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

You would think that nobles would be embarrassed to move sideways their entire life, much less down, but courting commoners would be way, way down, no matter who they are.  At best, you're seeking cheap favor from a GMH family member.  But developing feelings for your favorite commoner?  Sure, if you're into being low on the pole, and shaming your House.  And it's not just about keeping it secret, either, because they would know what a risky secret that is.

Concubines, I suppose, are a little different, and something I don't readily understand about Allanak.  Are you allowed to cuddle with your concubine?

I think the whole concubines thing was in large part advanced by a very dynamic player, with a clear vision and an ability to make her personal vision a reality. She later contributed to some of the documentation and set up an in game establishment that furthered the assimilation of that ideal.

I don't know that this is a good thing or bad. It's nice to know that it's possible to really affect change. On the other hand I don't know that the spider behind the fly should be the norm rather than the exception.

(I say all of the above as though it were fact, but it is all only personal observation and possibly completely incorrect. )
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Kismetic on April 15, 2013, 09:34:13 AM
You would think that nobles would be embarrassed to move sideways their entire life, much less down, but courting commoners would be way, way down, no matter who they are.  At best, you're seeking cheap favor from a GMH family member.  But developing feelings for your favorite commoner?  Sure, if you're into being low on the pole, and shaming your House.  And it's not just about keeping it secret, either, because they would know what a risky secret that is.

Concubines, I suppose, are a little different, and something I don't readily understand about Allanak.  Are you allowed to cuddle with your concubine?

Think of concubines as a toy, or a sports car, you play with them whenever you want, you might even let someone play with your toy if you get something out of it. Think of a noble as a celebrity, politician, or even a Hugh Heffner.  They can do whatever they want until they shame their House, THEN it becomes a problem and it's dealt with. There were echoes and NPC concubines long before a PC was able to become above even that. Impacted the game world. Changed it. Another one even reached nobility... Tuluki has a road named after her. Again, changed the world, all because they were favored by the nobles that took them as toys.

Yes, you're allowed to cuddle your concubine. You shouldn't cuddle the aide you're fucking. You shouldn't googoo eyes a commoner in public. I wouldn't share my slave, that's personal property. I -would- use my concubine against my arch-nemesis if I knew she/he could get to him/her. In a heartbeat. Plenty of commoners to replace her/him. Plenty -wanting- that noble favor.

NOT Taboo for nobility to fuck/keep/favor commoners in Allanak.
TABOO to fuck (you'll disappear in a NY mnt) a commoner in Tuluk. You may, however, keep them (while you lust after them in your mind) in your employee, and you may favor them.

What happens in LUIRS though... stays in Luirs. :)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 15, 2013, 10:25:49 AM
What happens in LUIRS though... stays in Luirs. :)

I was going to attempt to respond intelligently to this thread with something about how there's no "one true way" to have a concubine.

Instead, I want to put the above quote on a pedestal.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

All of what has been said makes complete sense, but I still think a noble of either city-state that had a vested interest in their career being a success would avoid getting too touchy with the commonfolk.  Examples to the contrary would be stew for good RP, sure.

And yeah, what happens in Luir's stays there, except that pesky VD you got, because you didn't tip your host/hostess.  For shame!

Quote from: Kismetic on April 15, 2013, 10:57:09 AM
And yeah, what happens in Luir's stays there, except...
If you forget to pay your spice bill, or piss off your Agent cause -someone- had to set up that masked rendezvous that is really a Tuluki noble thinking it's a commoner and a Nakki noble thinking its a breed.

Oh to be a kankfly on the wall... or a Kuraci.  :P

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 15, 2013, 11:12:24 AM
If you forget to pay your spice bill, or piss off your Agent cause -someone- had to set up that masked rendezvous that is really a Tuluki noble thinking it's a commoner and a Nakki noble thinking its a breed.

Oh, that had me laughing.  And wishing for more Spartacus episodes.    :D

Quote from: Kismetic on April 15, 2013, 10:57:09 AM
All of what has been said makes complete sense, but I still think a noble of either city-state that had a vested interest in their career being a success would avoid getting too touchy with the commonfolk.

I think the only time I've ever seen a situation in game where a noble being warm (not the right word, but I'm tired, so it'll do) towards a commoner didn't make sense was when one hit on a gemmed at the bar, in front of another noble. Magickers, elves, dwarves, half-elves would all be the kind of consort that would / should get a noble in major shit with their respective House, given the massive negative backlash if it was ever discovered.

By major shit, I mead major dead, or at least confined to the estate for the rest of their lives.

Beyond that, like everyone else, if you have the clout to get away with it, you can do as you please. Noble A wants to have human commoner B sit in his lap? As long as A has the power the to ensure no one can make waves for him and has enough sway over B to ensure she (or he) doesn't make a scene, I don't think there would be much trouble.

The feel I get is nobles are suppose to be one-upping each other, flaunting their power and influence. Being able to openly indulge as you please, with whom you please, above reprisal or backlash from your peers would be quite a display - again, only IF they had the influence.

If not? 'rinthers aren't the only ones that eat their own alive.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

The feel I get is that nobles should (not necessarily have to) be in a constant effort of raising the stature of their House.  That's their job.  That said, what works for a Fale doesn't work for a Borsail, and what works for a Nakki doesn't work for a Tuluki.  My general blanket statement is general.

I feel like in general 'nakki templars and nobles mudsex too much >_>
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on April 16, 2013, 07:27:02 AM
I feel like in general 'nakki templars and nobles mudsex too much >_>

Um... I kind of agree.

Not that they spend "too much time" exactly,  which implies a criticism.

Rather, while romance should definitely be an avenue open to nobles and Templars, I feel that the more time leader type pcs of all flavors should try to maximize the amount of time they are available to the world. Clearly someone who plays 50 hours a week has more discretionary time than someone who plays 20. But really that's more an ooc derail than an on topic addition to the conversation. Um... As you were.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I dunno, my experience with noble/templar players has been that they are just as eager to FTB and get on with the interesting stuff as much as anyone else! And the ones that do want to mudsex? Well, making them feel bad enough to skip what they want to attend to your RP needs isn't going to make them happy RP'ers anyway.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Umm, this conversation isn't about what players do, it's about the expectations of nobles, and subsequent taboos.  Get with the topic, please.  :D

Yep. Sorry! Carry on.

Kismet likes his cybersex chatter -on topic-
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

Well, doesn't everyone?

Lets see.

Adultery?  Not taboo that I have seen.
Abortion?  I've always assumed abortion, short of your mate slicing your belly open to pull out the tot, letting you see it die before you do (assuming no Vivaduan intervention, which would be worse?) is pretty much the only form of abortion.  Although, that sort of sounds like a plot worth trying now.
Infanticide?  Okay, not strictly sexual taboo, but close.  I don't think this is a taboo?  Always assume nobles kill off mutations, rinthis kill off unwanted tykes, and smart folks kill off breeds?
Ephebophilia?  Seems okay.
Gerontophilia?  Seems okay.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

How do abortion and infanticide fall under the heading of "Sexual Taboo"?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Be cool and stay on topic my dearies.

Let us not open that can please.
Nyr: lifesaver hishn to the rishncue

So... What's the deal with pokin' gickers? I know it just isn't supposed to be done, but isn't that part of the allure?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Many people believe their parts would fall off if they kanked gickers.

Even if someone were to not believe the superstition, the fear of being "found out" by other superstitious people would be a primary motivation to stay clear. It's probably considered "worse" than having sex with elves in some parts. You'd probably lose any good employment you had or you would prevent yourself from ever being hired into a prominent/successful profession.

It's taboo not because "it's fun to be taboo" but because it's social suicide or an easy way to get your PC killed.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Basically, you're not only risking your life in a very real sense, but also in a political and social sense.

One could argue for the allure of the forbidden, but I think we've agreed, as a community to argue for the allure of the norm. Otherwise everyone is the exception and then there's no world consistency.