Sexual Taboos

Started by MeTekillot, March 27, 2013, 09:36:48 PM

...and we make fun of the palyers on Furcadia.  :-\
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

There are still gypsy cultures in the UK where their method of courtship is by the male overpowering the female. If she can't get away, she's his. Then she gets all giddy and excited and has a ridiculous gaudy wedding dress made. Its quite peculiar.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Year, I'm watching those shows and they make me extemely angry.

((sorry for the derail))

The problem is the Zalanthian sexuality. Man and woman are equal but the problem I've experienced a few times IC is that the female always is the one who has to be careful/take a break/relies on others when she's pregnant. It still gives me a sense of (even though I played a strong, dominant woman who was with child) the woman having to rely on her partner (whether male or female) and thus, becoming vulnerable.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Unless they don't give a shit about the child. Then shit, slam down your whisky and start boxing up that HG at the bar.

You're pregnant. Gender equality isn't broken by the fact you've a second human inside your body to look out for. Taking it easy, things of that sort, aren't weakness. That's survival instinct of the human race.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

But it does mean that they HAVE to rely on someone else, and with some (dominant) personalities, that's hard. Let alone taking care of the kid after it's born (in the milk stage).

So maybe those sorts of people would just sell off the kid, foster it with another family, or hire a wetnurse, etc.

Quote from: BuNutzCola on April 04, 2013, 07:34:42 PM
Unless they don't give a shit about the child. Then shit, slam down your whisky and start boxing up that HG at the bar.

You're pregnant. Gender equality isn't broken by the fact you've a second human inside your body to look out for. Taking it easy, things of that sort, aren't weakness. That's survival instinct of the human race.

Zalanthas doesn't have TV  and doctors telling preggos that Urns bad for you. All my knocked up bitches drink and spice to get through, the nausea, headaches, mood swings, all cured by spice.

Ensuring your offsprings survive would be normal provided you want or need them. I'll murder a bitch if I don't want my bloodline continued. Out if they're my dirty little secret and the kid is the proof.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 04, 2013, 08:10:27 PM
Quote from: BuNutzCola on April 04, 2013, 07:34:42 PM

Zalanthas doesn't have TV  and doctors telling preggos that Urns bad for you. All my knocked up bitches drink and spice to get through, the nausea, headaches, mood swings, all cured by spice.

Ensuring your offsprings survive would be normal provided you want or need them. I'll murder a bitch if I don't want my bloodline continued. Out if they're my dirty little secret and the kid is the proof.

Zalanthas Birth control!

if zalanthans understand birth control i presume they have SOME idea of what is a bad idea to do during pregnancy

I'm always sort of intimidated that all the sex-topic threads get filled with posts rather quickly...
Czar of City Elves.

Sex is a pretty big part of many people's lives so people tend to talk about it?????

????

Quote from: Zephy on April 04, 2013, 09:01:37 PM
Zalanthas Birth control!

Somehow, despite my careful inuring to the Internet, I still find this casual talk of killing children and mothers disturbing, even if my character would not.

I'm bothered by the way this "gender bias-free" Armageddon discussion somehow has turned to resemble the harsh realities of gender in the real world. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. But Internet communication is complicated at best. I am sure that the merry jokesters didn't mean:
>subdue bitch
>throw bitch stairs
>think (amused) Better than Mul Mix!

Let's keep the callous sociopathy in game where it belongs as best we can, eh, folks?

P.S. I realize that it is women having this conversation.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

April 05, 2013, 01:42:16 PM #88 Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:46:06 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Morrolan on April 05, 2013, 01:10:54 PM

I'm bothered by the way this "gender bias-free" Armageddon discussion somehow has turned to resemble the harsh realities of gender in the real world.

That is only because some harsh real world realities are also harsh Armageddon realities.

Only females get pregnant and carry children. Such is biology in both Armageddon and real life. Until that changes we just have to work around that, no matter how "gender bias-free" we attempt to be.

I do want to play a mutant male that can get pregnant now, thanks to you.  >:(
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

April 05, 2013, 01:44:54 PM #89 Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:47:33 PM by BuNutzCola
Quote from: Iiyola on April 04, 2013, 08:04:56 PM
But it does mean that they HAVE to rely on someone else, and with some (dominant) personalities, that's hard. Let alone taking care of the kid after it's born (in the milk stage).

There are very dominant woman in the real world as well. And unless I'm misunderstanding something (like a suggestion men should carry children to childbirth), I don't see where it's a roleplay problem. If it's IC for you to care and provide for the child, partner or not, then do so. Or if you're the selfish sort and only look out for number one, aggressive and self-sustaining or not, well, there's some inexpensive herbs to be had that can solve the issue.

But I don't think it has anything to do with sexual inequality as it pertains to Zalanthas, in my opinion.

EDIT: Not to mention that the decision to get pregnant, at least game wise, is almost entirely your choice as the player. Possible staff might enforce such consequences to the activities that precede pregnancy, but I imagine that's a remarkably rare thing.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

Quote from: Desertman on April 05, 2013, 01:42:16 PM

I do want to play a mutant male that can get pregnant now, thanks to you.  >:(

Funny, gender bias discussions always give me the same impulse.

I'm trying to figure out how that would work biologically though. How would the man get the woman's egg out of her body? Suction? Only having sex during menstration?

Now I'm hungry for poached eggs.

April 05, 2013, 04:32:05 PM #91 Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:34:44 PM by Ender
Quote from: Iiyola on April 04, 2013, 08:04:56 PM

As a player you can make your PC as dependent or as independent as you want regardless of babbys.  You can have your tough warrior woman riding into battle 8 months pregnant, who cares.  You can go out hunting with formed babbys in slings over your shoulder, because life's tough!

What I've seen is a lot of is disparaging RP towards PCs who choose to be rough and tumble and still be parents where they kinda get shouted/guilted down about it.  And other busy body PCs tell them how they should be in a dependent role even if they were the breadwinners in their various relationships.

So my suggestion to people who want both formed babbys and to be rough and tumble indies, just do it, and tell the haters to stick it.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

There is something a little difficult to believe about an 8-months pregnant woman riding a bug into the wastes, getting into fights with savage beasts, taking a vicious wound to the waist and having a healthy baby with a problem-free delivery a few weeks later. That seems more like a hell of a way to get an abortion...

Quote from: Delirium on April 05, 2013, 04:39:01 PM
There is something a little difficult to believe about an 8-months pregnant woman riding a bug into the wastes, getting into fights with savage beasts, taking a vicious wound to the waist and having a healthy baby with a problem-free delivery a few weeks later. That seems more like a hell of a way to get an abortion...

Who said it had to be a healthy, problem-free baby?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

We have to make allowances in situations such as this.

Females get pregnant. Males do not. Being pregnant IRL does in fact limit what you are able to physically do safely for yourself and the unborn child. That is also a gender limitation, and gender limitations in Armageddon are a no-no. Thus, let's just assume women people in Armageddon have extremely durable inside-baby-protector-parts, or, we can just accept it as one of those things that "is" and does not exactly require "realistic" backing.

You can only take the whole "gender equality" thing so far on a realistic biological level before you just have to say, "Look, that is a rule we follow because this is a game and not RL, you don't need a good reason for it because maybe there isn't a good reason for it." Pregnancy appears to fall into that category. Nothing wrong with that.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Doesn't everyone know that Zalanthan women have inertial stabilizers genetically engineered into their wombs during the golden age of man?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on April 05, 2013, 05:34:58 PM
Doesn't everyone know that Zalanthan women have inertial stabilizers genetically engineered into their wombs during the golden age of man?

Or maybe Zalanthan babies are proportionally as tough as Zalanthan adults.

Zalanthan adults can regularly survive falls from the shield wall, which I presume is fairly high up. They'll also be up and at 'em again in a few days. Earth people just can't compete with that. If babies are the same way, you could almost use pregnancy as extra belly armor.

Quote from: Desertman on April 05, 2013, 05:17:25 PM

We have to make allowances in situations such as this.

Females get pregnant. Males do not. Being pregnant IRL does in fact limit what you are able to physically do safely for yourself and the unborn child. That is also a gender limitation, and gender limitations in Armageddon are a no-no. Thus, let's just assume women people in Armageddon have extremely durable inside-baby-protector-parts, or, we can just accept it as one of those things that "is" and does not exactly require "realistic" backing.

You can only take the whole "gender equality" thing so far on a realistic biological level before you just have to say, "Look, that is a rule we follow because this is a game and not RL, you don't need a good reason for it because maybe there isn't a good reason for it." Pregnancy appears to fall into that category. Nothing wrong with that.

Yea, this is pretty much my view on it.  It's up to the player how fragile/tough their womb is and it's really not up to anyone else to decide that for them.

I'm pro virtual choice.  Don't let the MAN tell you that falling off the shield wall killed your forming babby!
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

It's perfectly fine for pregnant PCs to go out doing risky stuff that they did before. However, there is the expectation that you will roleplay appropriately if something bad happens, like you get gored for frightening damage to the waist by a Mek, or you practice poison and poison yourself six times a week over the course of the pregnancy.

Not only that...

When I was pregnant I wasn't able to do much at all! It's not just a matter of wanting, it's also a matter of physically not being able to (unless we all roleplay our perfect pregnancies with twins who are all perfectly healthy despite the amount of booze and spice consumed).