Sexual Taboos

Started by MeTekillot, March 27, 2013, 09:36:48 PM

We know that multiple sex partners is common, homosexuality, bisexuality, blah blah blah.

Beyond mixing of the races (elf + human, whatever), do you guys believe that there are sexual attitudes or preferences that might be found a little odd, even in Zalanthas?

I wouldn't want to hear "Damn, that beetle has got it going on!" as the stable gate closes.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

I think anyone hanging outside the temple in the middle of Meleth's Circle with amorous intentions waiting for something fresh to be delivered would be considered more than a little odd.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on March 27, 2013, 10:05:21 PM
I think anyone hanging outside the temple in the middle of Meleth's Circle with amorous intentions waiting for something fresh to be delivered would be considered more than a little odd.
Medium rare or well done?
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

'Gickers. Gypsies. Northern/Southerners. Rinthers.

Children?
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Inserting your finger in someone's butt. That's just rude.

What is this thread about anyway?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

This thread is about sexual taboos in Zalanthas.

I'm curious about what Recharge said. Is pedophilia considered not-okay?

You're bound to insult someone on the ooc level with that sort of stuff. Just keep it out of the game.

Seeing people on another MUD play kids with an overt sexual element has always been intensely awkward, as is seeing characters with a sexual interest in kids. I don't think there would be a Zalanthan taboo against it, but I, the player, would certainly be rather unsettled if some thirteen year old character rolled by humping everything in sight.

Other than that, and beyond interracial taboos, I suppose that there are an assortment of inter-cultural taboos, too, as mentioned above. I doubt necrophilia would go down too well in the parts of the world where people actually have funerals or generally bother to mark someone's passing by more than just dropping them on the pile at Meleth's Circle. Presumably bestiality falls under the general interracial taboo.

Kind of curious how Zalanthans would regard incestuous relationships considering all the nobility are probably each other's distant cousins.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on March 28, 2013, 05:30:36 AM
Kind of curious how Zalanthans would regard incestuous relationships considering all the nobility are probably each other's distant cousins.

I heard a joke about Kentucky or Alabama or something once. 7 million people. 7 last names. Same principle applies I think.
Czar of City Elves.

If a noble of either city (obviously sticking to their respective sexual taboos) were to become a full-time prostitute, would anyone bat an eye? Should they? I know that they would, but I always thought that they ought not to, since, once health concerns are dealt with/ignored and idealogies about sexual anything are taken out, nothing is actually wrong, good or bad about prostitution itself.

I'm thinking that an Allanaki noble becoming a prostitute and charging high, but reachable fees and allowing commoners to be clients will get attention. Will they?

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on March 28, 2013, 09:43:10 AM
If a noble of either city (obviously sticking to their respective sexual taboos) were to become a full-time prostitute, would anyone bat an eye? Should they? I know that they would, but I always thought that they ought not to, since, once health concerns are dealt with/ignored and idealogies about sexual anything are taken out, nothing is actually wrong, good or bad about prostitution itself.

I'm thinking that an Allanaki noble becoming a prostitute and charging high, but reachable fees and allowing commoners to be clients will get attention. Will they?

Uh, this is an issue of class.  A noble would not be a prostitute for the same reasons a noble isn't a mercenary, a mason, a miner, laborer, bartender or a shop clerk.  Nobles don't hold jobs outside of the responsibilities of their family businesses.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on March 28, 2013, 09:58:07 AM

Uh, this is an issue of class.  A noble would not be a prostitute for the same reasons a noble isn't a mercenary, a mason, a miner, laborer, bartender or a shop clerk.  Nobles don't hold jobs outside of the responsibilities of their family businesses.

I'll go with Ender. I would say it wouldn't be uncommon for a NAKKI noble to frequent a high class prostitute but a TULUKI would never, even though they would sit and have tea.

Animals
Children (a 13 year old starting age isn't really a child I'd say, not on Zalanthas)
Necrophilia
Incest
Human and any other race

Those I'd call taboo.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

No such thing as high-end prostitutes, then?

I mean the classy kind whose main pitch is their exclusivity and style, not like, just some commoner who happens to both be a prostitute and be employed by Kurac/socially advantageous organization.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on March 28, 2013, 10:20:04 AM

I mean the classy kind whose main pitch is their exclusivity and style, not like, just some commoner who happens to both be a prostitute and be employed by Kurac/socially advantageous organization.

I played a high-end prostitute once. She charged a ridiculous amount. There should be more whores in game but that kind of roleplay is hard, like slaves.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on March 28, 2013, 10:20:04 AM

High-end prostitutes and consorts and the like certainly exist and have existed (definitely an Allanaki thing, though).  However, nobles themselves would not become prostitutes.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I tend to play most of my characters with the same sexual taboos I have IRL. Why? Because damn, I just can't force myself to roleplay some things.

I did however play a couple of characters who were pretty vocal about some pretty horrible sexual preferences they had, however they were all "done" virtually when I was offline. Sadly, I didn't get nearly the hate I was expecting from the rest of the playerbase for engaging in such activities. Most people would give me a sneer at best.

You guys disgust me.  :o
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on March 28, 2013, 10:51:24 AM
I tend to play most of my characters with the same sexual taboos I have IRL. Why? Because damn, I just can't force myself to roleplay some things.

I did however play a couple of characters who were pretty vocal about some pretty horrible sexual preferences they had, however they were all "done" virtually when I was offline. Sadly, I didn't get nearly the hate I was expecting from the rest of the playerbase for engaging in such activities. Most people would give me a sneer at best.

Get any eyebrow waggles?

"Hey, how about you and me hit the stables afterwork today? *eyebrow waggle*"

March 28, 2013, 01:23:06 PM #20 Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:26:16 PM by Morrolan
Just like IRL, we KNOW there is "bad" stuff out there. Zalanthas has every sexual proclivity that RL does.

The question is, "do we want to take part?"

The next question is, "to what extent do we take part?"

And the third (and final) question is, "how much do we show?"

I've played a character who was a terrible pervert, in a Zalanthan sense. He hid his perversion. He tried (and to a certain extent failed) not to act on it. He didn't march down the street asking for equal rights for perverts. He was properly ashamed.

The goal here was not to model proper "pervert" behavior, but to create internal conflict between feelings and beliefs.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

March 28, 2013, 01:55:36 PM #21 Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:58:10 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Narf on March 28, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: Desertman on March 28, 2013, 10:51:24 AM

Get any eyebrow waggles?

Played a extra creepy pedo once/murderer/raider/rapist/insert most horrible things one could do. Guy was down right evil to his core.

^
^
^
MFW when I had more than one child pc come onto my character instead of being scared. Also MFW I had one PC act scared, but intentionally put themselves in a place to get horribly pedoed and obviously wanted it in graphic detail. Thank Jeebus my hand wasn't forced there.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: ShaLeah on March 28, 2013, 10:07:25 AM
Quote from: Ender on March 28, 2013, 09:58:07 AM

I'll go with Ender. I would say it wouldn't be uncommon for a NAKKI noble to frequent a high class prostitute but a TULUKI would never, even though they would sit and have tea.

Animals
Children (a 13 year old starting age isn't really a child I'd say, not on Zalanthas)
Necrophilia
Incest
Human and any other race

Those I'd call taboo.

Incest is not Taboo on Zalanthas. In fact most Noble and GMH are known to marry family to family to keep the blood pure. They also marry to others to bring in traits they want.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Except for muls bred for that purpose. That's colorful, eccentric or kinky, but not actually taboo.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

If an enemy of mine ever dies in the near future, I'm hiring a prostitute to hump their corpse at meleth's every day.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.