Setting triggers and how they work?

Started by Gunnerblaster, March 25, 2013, 06:31:35 PM

Not a new player but I do have a question that would probably interest new players.

Personally, I use a PC with SimpleMU as my MUD Client. I just wanted to know how, exactly, triggers work and how you usually go about setting them?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Trying to think of something that would be appropriate to trigger and having trouble doing so.  Do you always do something exactly the same in response to a stimulus in real life?

Some people set triggers for audio alarms on certain words in the game ( ... templar looks at you ... )

Others set it to re-forage during foraging, so they can take time to craft better emotes

Some clients require setting triggers for color

Others do it for an RP purpose. Everytime you "feel embarassed" maybe you hemote twisting the ball of your foot on the floor.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I use triggers in MUSHclient, which looks for a specific output from the game, and then sends a response.

One type I use for highlighting.  I have triggers set up for languages and accents, for example, so if someone is speaking in a northern accent, or speaking allundean, it gets highlighted in red.  Those are things that should generally be obvious, but that can get lost in the spam of a dozen people talking and emoting at once.

A second type I use for immediate, automated responses.  For example, I have a training trigger that automatically sends 'disengage' if I get the message "...stops attacking you."  I turn it on if my character is going to be doing a lot of sparring, otherwise I leave it off.  I consider that to be an OOC courtesy, since my character wouldn't keep kicking your character's ass just because I'm not paying close attention.

I also have triggers set up that I can use for foraging, since it saves me from having to type "forage wood for log" over and over, and frees me up to type other things.  Ideally, I think foraging should be a state rather than a single action, because what's the point in foraging just once?  I usually only use that trigger set if I have a grebbing partner to talk/interact with, though.

I think triggers should be used pretty sparingly, but I don't really think they're "cheating" if they're being used to simplify the way the game is played, and not used to gain some specific quick-reaction-based advantage over other players.

I use it for a message on a failed forage with stone, food, and salt, so I can work on emoting, thinking, typing up psi messages, etc. Then to discard certain items found foraging. Those I turn off when I want to keep the items in question.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I also use them for when there is a lot of spam and there is info I can't afford to miss.  This often happens in combat.  Whenever I am hit, it comes up as red text.  I also have a trigger to automatically stand me up if I am bashed, as I often miss the line of text stating I was just laid out on my ass.  Another one I color cide is when I get the thirst message.  For some reason, I rarely catch the first few thirst warnings and am parched before I even knew I was thirsty.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

I use triggers to highlight room titles and to gag and shunt communication to a separate text window, another trigger is to disengage when someone disengages me if I have mercy on.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Ahhh those are some good examples, color me dumb for not thinking of them in that way!

When I played, I used triggers to highlight different words different colors...

so "templar", "soldier", "spider", "gates" - things my character would naturally pay attention to, but might be lost by me in a wall of text.

They're also handy if you're a socialite or a noble and you change outfits often.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Combining this with another discussion, a suggestion:

Lines with:
"silk" coded green
"linen" coded light blue
"sandcloth" and "leather" remain uncoded
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I use triggers to change words/phrases - so instead of the standard encumbrance messages that are available via the prompt command, I simplify them and create a prompt that is more to my liking.

hp mana stun stamina
It is early morning, you are standing, walking and unarmed.
You are feeling calm and are carrying a SHIT-TON of weight.

I also color various text so I don't miss when someone whispers/talks to me, sends me a psi message, when I lock my door (I like being sure!), and for various forage messages.

I do what dustmight does, but I prefer compact substitutions. I get the same information but it's all in one prompt line.  I substitute the long, awkward, "riding: a war beetle" or whatever with just "mounted" because in my prompt I don't care what I'm riding. I also substitute the time of day for a small picture to help me visually "see" what time of day it is. The color choices are limited but my brain is trained to recognize these and help me get moving when gates are closing and such.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

March 29, 2013, 12:20:21 PM #12 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:24:38 PM by bcw81
Quote from: Harmless on March 29, 2013, 12:17:33 PM
I do what dustmight does, but I prefer compact substitutions. I get the same information but it's all in one prompt line.  I substitute the long, awkward, "riding: a war beetle" or whatever with just "mounted" because in my prompt I don't care what I'm riding. I also substitute the time of day for a small picture to help me visually "see" what time of day it is. The color choices are limited but my brain is trained to recognize these and help me get moving when gates are closing and such.

Please tell me those are MUSHClient triggers and you can export them so I can also live in glorious picture time. If nothing else, can you tell me the ASCII code? (Or copy/paste the icons here)

Also: Does anyone have the 'receive a Way' message? I want to colorcode that, but I simply don't have the message at the moment.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

March 29, 2013, 12:52:20 PM #13 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:55:25 PM by Harmless
You send a telepathic message to
sends you a telepathic message:
You feel your mental contact withdrawing from the mind of your target.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Unfortunately, they are not mushclient triggers. They are tintin++ ones. I have yet to figure mushclient out; someday I will. Here's a thread I found that might help with the substitute and color code triggers, if you're not already familiar with how to do that. The color codes in mushclient are very different from tintin++, so sharing the ones I have won't be that useful.

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=3857

Also, you folks using mushclient have such a nice array of colors to pick from, apparently, so I wouldn't expect there to be much cross over between the two clients. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Suggestion (Will this work? I have no idea.)

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   match="*^early afternoon^*"
   omit_from_output="y"
   send_to="2"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>%1^@^%2</send>
  </trigger>
</triggers>

Your prompt surrounds the time of day with ^ symbols, so that you aren't highlighting or substitution stuff from random places. You'll need to change your prompt a bit.

Then, you just make a highlight in the client, highlighting that set of characters: ^@^. You can use other characters of similar functionality, like underscores: _O_. You're unlikely to be highlighting any _O_'s anywhere else. Does that help?
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Thanks, I think I've got this now. However, sadly, Mushclient does not have a prebuilt substitution thing, so I'm having to use a script to do it.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on March 29, 2013, 12:54:07 PM
Thanks, I think I've got this now. However, sadly, Mushclient does not have a prebuilt substitution thing, so I'm having to use a script to do it.

What do you mean by this?  MUSHclient triggers do single-line substitution pretty easily, IMO, particularly colors.

-Only- colors. MUSHclient will not substitue an underlined, colored "o" for early morning.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on March 29, 2013, 01:19:21 PM
-Only- colors. MUSHclient will not substitue an underlined, colored "o" for early morning.

Could be; I'm not sure.

I've done text substitution in the past.   It's easy to swap out "<around body>   a dark, hooded cloak" for "<around body>   some dark hooded swag!!" or whatever.  I'd never tried to adjust the color until now, and it seems to stick to a predefined color set.

I've never had much luck getting in-line substitution to work, either.

Who uses sound triggers and do you go somewhere in particular to get them?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 03, 2013, 10:04:06 PM
Who uses sound triggers and do you go somewhere in particular to get them?
If I were in the habit of using sound triggers, and I have yet to fall into that habit, I would scour through my Steam game's directory and pull out sounds from there.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

April 03, 2013, 11:12:51 PM #20 Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:16:10 PM by Delirium
Way back in my Early Gaming (tm) days, I had a homer simpson .wav that said 'D'oh'!' every time the death beep went off.

edit: more seriously, and what I was hinting at, albeit tongue-in-cheek: use sound triggers wisely.

though I like the idea of having the imperial march fire up every time a templar walks into the room.

If we could grab enough distinct sound effects we could set up some triggers that fire during combat with the sounds categorized based on weapon type and the strength of the blow.

Wouldn't that be swell?
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on April 04, 2013, 06:13:36 AM
If we could grab enough distinct sound effects we could set up some triggers that fire during combat with the sounds categorized based on weapon type and the strength of the blow.

Wouldn't that be swell?

I have created a MUST Client plugin (which are just a group of trigger/aliases etc) using LUA scripting to do just that.  I also had it trigger to play this music when in combat! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n0nOdi1fgA

It take some work but I felt it added to any combat type of character.
Nothing to see here

Quote from: Jestor on April 04, 2013, 06:36:14 AM
I have created a MUST Client plugin (which are just a group of trigger/aliases etc) using LUA scripting to do just that.  I also had it trigger to play this music when in combat!

Do you mind sharing?
Quote from: staff
A staff member sends:
     "Likely a flub in the machine. It does not understand birthdays! (But it understands death like no one's business.)"

Quote from: Zul on April 04, 2013, 08:10:21 AM
Quote from: Jestor on April 04, 2013, 06:36:14 AM
I have created a MUST Client plugin (which are just a group of trigger/aliases etc) using LUA scripting to do just that.  I also had it trigger to play this music when in combat!

Do you mind sharing?

I don't mind at all.  Though, when I upgraded to the latest MUSH Client it kind of broke and I haven't went back to fix it.  I'll revisit it and share what I have.
Nothing to see here