ARMemes

Started by catchall, November 25, 2012, 11:05:06 AM

via Imgflip Meme Maker
(When I see masked PCs IG, I automatically hate them. The rarer the douchier. Personal opinion.)

via Imgflip Meme Maker

via Imgflip Meme Maker
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 10:47:45 PM
via Imgflip Meme Maker
(When I see masked PCs IG, I automatically hate them. The rarer the douchier. Personal opinion.)

I love you.

It might be the wine.

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: Delirium on May 20, 2013, 11:08:01 PM
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 10:47:45 PM
<Image redacted>

I love you.

It might be the wine.

Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Armageddon.org

A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

ok I'm done. this is probably only funny to me.

(seriously. GEMMED. IT'S GEMMED DAMMIT)

Quote from: Delirium on May 21, 2013, 01:23:19 AM

This.

Seriously.

Gemmer would indicate it is a person who gives gems, like, say, a templar.

Gemmed would indicate a person who has been given a gem, like, say, a witch.

This hits my peeve button every time. Minutely.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on May 21, 2013, 01:30:24 AM

Doesn't have to be so ultra-literal. A nutter isn't one who nuts, a rinther isn't one who rinths, a necker isn't one who necks, a Stormer isn't one who storms, and a magicker isn't really someone who "magicks," although you can sometimes coerce "magick" into a verb. Looks like this "-er," as distinct from the "doer type -er," is pretty versatile as far as the kind of relationship it can signal, and in this use, it seems to have a vaguely derogatory feel toward the person mentioned. Perfectly reasonable system, and I'm tickled pink that Zalanthan language has developed characteristics distinct from everyday English, where this same meaning is not nearly as widespread (I can only think of "nutter," but there are probably others.)

(Conveniently, one would never refer to a Templar as a "gemmer" -- except maybe in some very specific and contrived context -- since that implies gemming mages is their main function, and that's not socially acceptable. So there is no room for ambiguity. "Gemmed" seems more formal and elegant in contrast, so we're probably just talking about a difference in spoken style level.)

Quote from: Delirium on May 21, 2013, 01:29:49 AM

now I'm done.

That right theeerrre
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: catchall on May 21, 2013, 03:03:39 AM

Doesn't have to be so ultra-literal. A nutter isn't one who nuts, a rinther isn't one who rinths, a necker isn't one who necks, a Stormer isn't one who storms, and a magicker isn't really someone who "magicks," although you can sometimes coerce "magick" into a verb. Looks like this "-er," as distinct from the "doer type -er," is pretty versatile as far as the kind of relationship it can signal, and in this use, it seems to have a vaguely derogatory feel toward the person mentioned. Perfectly reasonable system, and I'm tickled pink that Zalanthan language has developed characteristics distinct from everyday English, where this same meaning is not nearly as widespread (I can only think of "nutter," but there are probably others.)

(Conveniently, one would never refer to a Templar as a "gemmer" -- except maybe in some very specific and contrived context -- since that implies gemming mages is their main function, and that's not socially acceptable. So there is no room for ambiguity. "Gemmed" seems more formal and elegant in contrast, so we're probably just talking about a difference in spoken style level.)

Armageddon.org

Quote from: Delirium on May 21, 2013, 01:23:19 AM

I use bother gemmer (it's use is validated by Stormer, 'rinther, etc as previously pointed out) and gemmed (though not as much as witch).

I also f'king hate "gicker." It's stupid. "Witch"  "Wiggler" (as in finger-wiggler) "Drovian, Rukkian, Whiran"  those work too.

It's like calling elves 'neckers (I truly hate this) which came from "longneck" which is really a f'king bottle of beer.  *sigh*  Call them "point-ears" "sharps" "elves" or "points" or whatever.

Elves have never been described as having exceptionally long necks - but rather long LEGS.

While I'm on this topic I swear I will pk (or attempt to pk) the next person I hear refer to Tuluk as 'luk.  Hopefully we've gotten that out of our system.  Do you really need to shorten Tuluk?
Next thing Luir's will be simply 'irs.  Christ on a stick already!

/rant

May 21, 2013, 09:47:41 AM #118 Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:49:47 AM by hyzhenhok
Common usage. If a word is commonly used and understood to mean something, that's what it means. Period.

Luckily you guys appear to be able to keep your pet peeves to the OOC realm, since you usually only see IC scuffling over language where it would make sense, i.e. between people from different regions or classes. :)

I don't like "southron" because it's from goddamn LoTR.

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 21, 2013, 09:50:54 AM
I don't like "southron" because it's from goddamn LoTR.

Oh. I thought it was because your PC was a southerner and mine was a northerner and your character perceived it as an insult ICly.

:(

Do you call half-giants dire-men?

Quote from: catchall on May 21, 2013, 03:03:39 AM

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nutter?s=t&path=/

A nutter is someone who collects nuts.
Sorry, but you've not validated yourselves for using an incorrect word.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

A farmer must be someone who collects farms

Quote from: MeTekillot on May 21, 2013, 10:06:08 AM
A farmer must be someone who collects farms

No, they farm. Nut as a verb means to gather or seek nuts.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nut?&path=/

So in fact, yes - a nutter is someone who nuts.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.