&me

Started by Gilgamesh, September 29, 2012, 07:06:47 PM

Is this not the correct way to use this emote syntax? Occasionally when I use it, it will sent out my emote or speech, but I get

"You do not see 'me.' here." Not just once, but usually 10 lines or so of it.
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

That happens to me, too. I actually filed it as a bug the other night... >_>

I believe @ is the symbol for placing your sdesc in the emote. However, it also removes it from the start of the emote.

em jumping onto the table @ sings about emoting would come out as:

Jumping onto the table the tall, muscular man sings about emoting.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Is it possible that you are both using the same client--maybe something that uses & as a variable?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: BleakOne on September 29, 2012, 07:20:56 PM
I believe @ is the symbol for placing your sdesc in the emote. However, it also removes it from the start of the emote.

@ does indeed do that. But &me outputs "yourself" "himself/herself", and targeting "me" as you would any other keyword allows you to insert yourself in emotes multiple times.
Example: em Running as fast as #me possibly can, @ books it out of the room, ^me feet pounding the dirt as blood streams from %me wounds.
Would show as: "Running as fast as you possibly can, the tall, muscular man books it out of the room, your feet pounding the dirt as blood streams from your wounds." and "Running as fast as he possibly can, the tall, muscular man books it out of the room, his feet pounding the dirt as blood streams from the tall, muscular man's wounds."

Quote from: Nyr on September 29, 2012, 07:22:13 PM
Is it possible that you are both using the same client--maybe something that uses & as a variable?
That might be it.
I'm running Mudlet which, to my knowledge, does not do anything with & as a variable, though.

Quote from: BleakOne on September 29, 2012, 07:20:56 PM

&me is for "him/herself" or "yourself".

I miss Tuluk....

I'm using MUSHclient. I don't think & is used for anything. And IIRC, I didn't have this problem before (like a month or so).

I miss Tuluk....

Try &self ^self, things like that.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

The 'you do not see 'me' here.' thing doesn't seem to happen every time I use &me, but it does only happen when I'm using &me.

I'll try to work &self into a few emotes when I get the chance.

October 05, 2012, 02:32:38 PM #9 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:36:55 PM by Nyr
Does it also only happen when you are in a room with an NPC that has a "talk" script?

I think that might be the culprit.

(edit to add:  and also only when you use "talk" in said room)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on October 05, 2012, 02:32:38 PM
Does it also only happen when you are in a room with an NPC that has a "talk" script?

I think that might be the culprit.

(edit to add:  and also only when you use "talk" in said room)
I'm not sure which NPCs do and do not have talk scripts, but I can't recall it ever happening outside of a conversational emote (say, tell, talk).
I'll try to get around a bit and use it in says, tells, and talks as much as I can in the presence of NPCs who I know respond to talk, when I have the time to be online and it would be appropriate, and then I'll post what I find here.

Stick just to "talk." You can figure out what NPCs have a talk script by trying to "talk" to them without sitting down at a table.

Or you can use the 'discuss' command which will only work when talking to NPCs.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Nyr on October 05, 2012, 05:51:32 PM
Stick just to "talk." You can figure out what NPCs have a talk script by trying to "talk" to them without sitting down at a table.

I'll clarify that you can definitely use discuss--however, if "talk" is the culprit for this &me thing, it will help to have it confirmed as the command that causes it.  Then it's a matter of either fixing the bug or removing "talk" as an option from those NPCs.

And even if it isn't the culprit, talk is an obsolete command in that respect, from what I gather in the helpfiles. Maybe it should just be removed altogether, and discuss used instead? Unless there -is- an actual, not-obsolete use. In that case, I retract my statement!

I still think &self should be tried. &me sometimes doesn't work at all, and I know sometimes you can't do certain commands with "me" as the word.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 11, 2012, 04:50:15 PM
And even if it isn't the culprit, talk is an obsolete command in that respect, from what I gather in the helpfiles. Maybe it should just be removed altogether, and discuss used instead? Unless there -is- an actual, not-obsolete use. In that case, I retract my statement!

I still think &self should be tried. &me sometimes doesn't work at all, and I know sometimes you can't do certain commands with "me" as the word.

Yeah. Problem is that it's a bit of a habit now. Always used "me" instead of self. And always used self when doing something involving the code "I.e. use soap self". I'll try to use the self tag a bit more.

I miss Tuluk....