Author Topic: Husky-Malamute mix.  (Read 1309 times)

AdamBlue

Husky-Malamute mix.
« on: July 22, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »
Last night, as I was playing, a dog was on my porch. I have a pet corgi, and that's how I found out about it- Bark bark, the corgi did, and I opened my door and found the dog. We stared at eachother for a moment, before it put it's paw on me, as if asking for help. It's collar didn't have any identifying marks, and it looked very hungry and skinny.

I did what I could. I live in Portland Oregon, and we have a problem with the water supply having e-coli in it, so I gave the dog the last of my purified water in my filter. I gave it a whole bowl of doggie treats, and tied it up outside on my porch after letting it use the bathroom, and let it sleep on the easy-chair outside, wrapped up in a blanket.

The dog was incredibly friendly and besides the fact it drooled a little, like the breed usually drools, it was really affectionate and sweet. I'm afraid to call animal control because I know they'd take it to a shelter, and from the fact it looked like it was starving I'm guessing the home it was at before wasn't very good, hence the reason it ran away.

Should I keep it? Should I put it to a shelter? Should I give it to a friend?
What do?

marko

Re: Husky-Malamute mix.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
Last night, as I was playing, a dog was on my porch. I have a pet corgi, and that's how I found out about it- Bark bark, the corgi did, and I opened my door and found the dog. We stared at eachother for a moment, before it put it's paw on me, as if asking for help. It's collar didn't have any identifying marks, and it looked very hungry and skinny.

I did what I could. I live in Portland Oregon, and we have a problem with the water supply having e-coli in it, so I gave the dog the last of my purified water in my filter. I gave it a whole bowl of doggie treats, and tied it up outside on my porch after letting it use the bathroom, and let it sleep on the easy-chair outside, wrapped up in a blanket.

The dog was incredibly friendly and besides the fact it drooled a little, like the breed usually drools, it was really affectionate and sweet. I'm afraid to call animal control because I know they'd take it to a shelter, and from the fact it looked like it was starving I'm guessing the home it was at before wasn't very good, hence the reason it ran away.

Should I keep it? Should I put it to a shelter? Should I give it to a friend?
What do?
Call a shelter.

They will scan it for a microchip.  From that they will get ownership information.

Hopefully the owners chipped their puppy.

Otherwise, let the shelter know that if no one is looking for the pup and if no one picks him up you are willing to take it on.

You can't make any assumptions about the treatment the pup had at home.  If it was a bad home life the pup would be aggressive and / or extremely shy.  It could be that the pup ran away / escaped and has been on the move for a long while before finding your place.  Or maybe it did have a bad home life but you can't make that determination.

Winterless

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
Find a local SPCA or Humane Society, those will be the best places to take it.

Kol

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
I agree with the Pink one, if you let them know if no information can be found, and if no-one has claimed the little fellah in thier time-frame, you'd like to take him on. That way you cover all bases and can't be accused of pet-theft.

Or, if you decide you can't affored the guy, you've ensured he's going to a good home, and a place that has the funding to deal with any health issues it may have in the meantime.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

boog

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »
Huskies and malamutes are two breeds of dog that are MOST prone to running away due to their 'closeness', so to speak, with feral dogs/wolves. It really wouldn't behoove you to assume anything about it, other than perhaps the dog has just been gone from its owner for a long time. Of course, being abused is always a possibility, but like I said, those dogs run away ALL the time. It's why I'd never get one. Well. Along with their ridiculous amounts of fur adhering to everything in sight.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »
Agreeing with the others to let the Humane Society and the local shelters know you at least have the dog, not necessarily to give it up. I believe there's a story in the news right now from Portland about a girl who found a dog like this, kept it, and is now in a dispute with the dog's last owner who the dog ran away from. Best to take what steps you can now to ID the pooch and save everyone some heartache later on (or now, if it turns out to belong to someone whose looking desperately for their dog).

Also you need to post pictures.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Kol

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
Also you need to post pictures.

True Dat.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »

Maso

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Just whatever you do...don't let him go a shelter that might put him down...any alternative (bar just ignoring him) will be good. A husky-malamute must be...absolutely adorable. Those are both extremely active, energetic breeds though - so keep that in mind if you're thinking about keeping him! They're bred to run and will need a ton of exercise.
emote pees into your eyes deeply

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Kismetic

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
If a husky-malamute showed up on my door, I would keep him.  Well, I'd keep an eye out for Missing Dog fliers, but I'd keep him.
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
If a husky-malamute showed up on my door, I would keep him.  Well, I'd keep an eye out for Missing Dog fliers, but I'd keep him.

Briarfox

• Briar Art
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
As I too live in Portland Oregon and have a hand in several dog/cat rescue organizations and work for the pet food industry I will recommend the following:

- contact the Oregon Humane Society and report a found dog.
- do the following with your county shelter such as Multinomah, Washington or Clackamas depending which part of the Metro you are in.
- do NOT post pictures of the found dog as people easily abuse this and say that is my dog.
- do NOT post explicit details on craigslist or a poster - have the would-be owner describe the dog to a t and require proof.
- do NOT keep a pet that is not yours, that is cruel to the actual owners and in some cities/counties and areas can be considered theft. There is already a current lawsuit going on in Oregon of someone doing this.
- contact your local pet food stores and feed stores and see if there has been any lost reports.
- have the dog scanned at any local vet clinic for free and see if the dog is microchipped.
- do NOT assume the previous home was abusive due to weight/look. It is possible the dog has been lost and roaming for a while. Do not base your 'should I keep him because they starved him' theory because you could be wrong.

Before ever keeping a lost/found pet please do these things to ensure you have tried everything to return the pet to their owner. If you have exhausted all possibilities and have been unsuccessful then you have a new dog.
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

Kismetic

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »
^  I like that post.  I would do all that, and then keep him (unless somebody is legit about owning him).
"Well, Gary, if that even is your real name ...  somebody stole my computer.  Now, if you're a criminal--  Look at me! ... You have to tell me, legally, or else it's considered entrapment."  -- Andy Dwyer