Which ARM 2 idea would you most like to see implemented?

Started by Erythil, July 15, 2012, 01:48:34 PM

I mean from a lore perspective, not a code perspective.  Personally I'd really like to see that underground city of pale cavedwelling people.  I thought that was a great idea that fit well with the current theme.

P.S.: This is meant more as a 'what-if' and less as a please-please begging thread.

I didn't like it when I first heard about it, but the idea of more widespread literacy ended up growing on me.

Leaving or finding journals, memoirs, etc., or orchestrating the thievery of important and secret Noble/Templar/Merchant documentation would just be too much fun to me.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I most want to see rentable clan houses put into Arm. Maybe one of the races from Arm 2 put in as well.

Some more explorable area's would be fun, with cool animals
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I wouldn't mind an event which destroys one or both city states and sort of leaves Luir's/Red storm as the last bastions of 'city' life.

Those concealable cubby holes that acted as save rooms, to hide items in, but required either knowing of them or having the search skill.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Fredd on July 15, 2012, 02:57:30 PM

This one too. More expansion of the wilds with more, never before seen wildlife, plantlife, etc.

Quote from: A Large Bag on July 15, 2012, 03:24:32 PM
Quote from: Fredd on July 15, 2012, 02:57:30 PM

This one too. More expansion of the wilds with more, never before seen wildlife, plantlife, etc.

Add / Flesh out other areas in the game w. new creatures / races that are currently a dead, empty, sparse areas.

Allow players to make coded clans again (don't know if that was apart of Arm2.. but.. heh)\

Alchemy.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Potaje on July 15, 2012, 03:09:28 PM
Those concealable cubby holes that acted as save rooms, to hide items in, but required either knowing of them or having the search skill.

Dont we already have similar if you know where to look?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Dakota on July 15, 2012, 04:03:49 PM
Allow players to make coded clans again (don't know if that was apart of Arm2.. but.. heh)\
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

The last five years have felt static to me, both as staff planned the end and shifted to a more player-driven plot policy. Also the turn toward more automated process seems to me to have detracted from the creative element. Some of our best left. We held back from adding to something meant for the trash.

What I want most is the inventive talent lavished on Arm2. The code, the writing, the inspiration.

Yes. Maybe the cities will fall, maybe verdant land will go to sand, or green will seep into some corner. Maybe the Known will grow. Like sleeping beauty kissed from her spell, I hope the world will awaken again. Catch breath and shift and change around us. I'd like to see the history timeline have a growth spurt.

Woops. I meant ghatti. Catfolk ftw. lolz
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: path on July 15, 2012, 04:17:50 PM
Yes. Maybe the cities will fall, maybe verdant land will go to sand, or green will seep into some corner. Maybe the Known will grow. Like sleeping beauty kissed from her spell, I hope the world will awaken again. Catch breath and shift and change around us. I'd like to see the history timeline have a growth spurt.

Well said! I agree 100%. The past few years of Arm have felt incredibly stagnant especially since the "end of times" plots just kind of stopped. I'm not saying there should be a world war, or a city-state should go to ruin but that would be awesome and at least it would be something.

As for ideas being implemented, I'm not really picky. I'd just like to see something new, and feel like current Arm desperately needs some change.

Quote from: Nyr on July 13, 2012, 01:53:33 PM
I'm just gonna communicate in this thread entirely with quotes staff have made previously, especially since the points brought up are the same ones.

Quote from: path on July 15, 2012, 04:17:50 PM
The last five years have felt static to me, both as staff planned the end and shifted to a more player-driven plot policy.

Quote from: Adhira on May 15, 2012, 11:45:02 PMIf you've been playing the game and haven't noticed staff involvement in the player originated plots and other things that have been going on then you might want to take a long around and get yourself involved. 

Quote from: stagnant history of the past 5 years*1579 (Year 39 Age 21)

An army of gith holds Allanak in an extended period of loose seige, using the citystate's extensive sewer system to infiltrate the city from beneath the ground. An organized defense effort consisting of the Arm of the Dragon, the T'zai Byn, and the Great Merchant Houses beats back the majority of gith forces within the city. A large portion of the gith threat claims the Borsail estate, however, despite House Tor's concentrated defense of the noble's quarter. The farming villages, responsible for much of the city's grain production, are attacked at roughly the same time, though the gith hoarde is defeated with a counterattack, led by Lord Templar Samos Rennik. The besieged Borsail estate, declared to be treacherous, is sunk into a pit of lava shortly thereafter by the Black Robe Tarith Kasix, effectively ending the gith threat.
    *1580 (Year 40 Age 21)

At the party which marks the choosing of a Hlum Chosen in Tuluk, Muk Utep Himself appears. After delivering a cryptic message, He returns to the Ivory Pyramid.
    *1585 (Year 45 Age 21)

A successful political campaign by House Oash leads to the closure of the Council of Allanaki Mages by the Allanaki Senate.
    *1591 (Year 51 Age 21)

Quietly and discreetly, House Kurac pulls all personnel and possessions from Allanak, leaving behind only a bare estate.
    *1595 (Year 55 Age 21)

A warparty led by Allanaki blue-robe templars and including soldiers of House Tor and gemmed from House Oash makes a foray into the Tablelands, striking for an oasis. They apparently meet no resistance, and do not stay at the oasis long before turning back for Allanak. Within hours, magickal creatures of stone strike in the streets of Luirs and Allanak, overtaking portions of the cities until they can be beat back. Simultaneously, the earth rumbles, and large swathes of the North Road between Allanak and Luir's crumble off the Shield Wall; while cliffs which border the North Road between Luir's and Tuluk collapse and cover it.
    *1596 (Year 56 Age 21)

An earthquake strikes the whole Known, being felt everywhere and by everyone. Then, a large shape crosses the sky and seems to settle over Suk-Krath, bringing complete darkness to the world. In the darkness, moisture falls from the air, and for a brief time, rain comes to the Known.

As the darkness stretches on over days and into a week, the streets of the cities become dangerous. In Allanak, rioters set fire to buildings and lynch gemmed; in Tuluk, crime runs rampant. Nobles and templars for the most part remain huddled in safety.

At the end of a full week of darkness, the shadow lifts from Suk-Krath to take its own place in the sky as a black moon which emits no light. Shortly, a series of further crises strikes both cities. In Tuluk, repeated waves of murky water crash in from west of the Scaien Gates, leveling Red Sun Commons, destroying many buildings, leaving thousands dead, and flooding UnderTuluk. While in Allanak, the city comes under attack from fire elementals as a volcano rises in the southwest, obliterating the critical farming villages of Menos and Taki and destroying the nearby camp of the Al'Seik tribe. In and around Luir's, creatures of stone cause death and destruction while fierce, tearing winds kick up.

In the aftermath, Allanak suffers massive, devastating starvation; Tuluk struggles to rebuild, while UnderTuluk and its people are no more. The halflings seem to be gone from the Grey Forest, and kryl and things previously unknown move in to take their place in the vastly changed landscape. The Al'Seik are nearly completely lost and must take up residence in the tents of the Arabet. And it is rumored that even in the alleys of the Labyrinth, changes were seen after the dark.
    *1598 (Year 58 Age 21)

In post-flood Tuluk, His Gloriousness Muk Utep sees fit to elevate a new High Precentor, Precentor Ardith Lyksae, of the Order of Jihae. The Jihaens ascend to power as the leading Order of Tuluk.
    *c.1607 (Year 67 Age 21)

Over the period of a year, the Red Fangs clash with the Sun Runners. Vicious war begins between the two elven tribes. After bloody battles ranging from the steppes of the Tablelands to the sands of the Red Desert, the Red Fangs have been all but destroyed.

Also the turn toward more automated process seems to me to have detracted from the creative element.

???  Can't think of any response or quote because this is pretty open-ended and also non-specific.

What I want most is the inventive talent lavished on Arm2. The code, the writing, the inspiration.

Quote from: Adhira on May 15, 2012, 10:36:53 PM
The staff that are working on Armageddon 1, or the 'game', have never been working on the other project.  You will not be seeing a sudden drastic change in output of staff etc as every storyteller working on the game has had this game as their sole focus.  Some producer and admin time has been spent on Arm 2 but in the last couple of years it has been minimal, at best.

Quote from: Nyr on May 17, 2012, 11:43:32 AM
Quote from: A Large Bag on May 17, 2012, 10:49:04 AM
Yeah, I don't know how many times I thought to myself: If only the efforts weren't being put forth toward Arm 2 and were being put into flushing out a few things and adding a few things to -this- game.

This may be a bit of a logical fallacy.  Admittedly, people as a resource added to Armageddon would have resulted in more people working on Armageddon, but that assumes that we needed the extra builders and coders on the current game in the first place.  Without a Reborn project, we would have had no need for the extra people.  We also weren't adding in whole new zones and areas for shiggles (henceforth, "shits and giggles" shall be abbreviated to this term) in the years prior to Reborn's announcement.  We wouldn't have been adding in whole new zones and areas for shiggles had there not been an announcement.  The existence of work on the project doesn't mean a 1:1 conversion of equal work being done on Armageddon.  While none of us possess a TARDIS, my own best guess is that we would simply have had a different focus for the past five and a half years, and not 9000 new rooms added to the game (some without descriptions, but all without the flags, scripts, etc that are on rooms in the current game). 

However, coding focus from any coding staff would have been directly on the game as it exists now.  This by no means points to the possibility of more code, but it is what it is.  Actually, I'd almost hazard a bet that some code in Arm 1 wouldn't have been done without considering it for Arm 2 or using Arm 2 ideas to implement scripts instead of hard code. 

We could have already had pee code for mounts by now.  :(

Quote from: Nyr on May 17, 2012, 02:31:19 PM
Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on May 17, 2012, 01:48:02 PM
I guess I was hoping something good would come out of all the work done and all the sacrifices made.

I can think of several things that came to fruition largely because "this is something we want to do in Reborn" happened to mesh with "this is something we can actually start on now with current code."

anyway I thought this thread was to be stuff you wanted to see not veiled complaints that have already been covered in official responses from staff members

carry on, though, if you want!  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Barsook on July 15, 2012, 04:10:16 PM
Quote from: Dakota on July 15, 2012, 04:03:49 PM

Quote from: A Large Bag on July 15, 2012, 01:57:23 PM
I most want to see rentable clan houses put into Arm. Maybe one of the races from Arm 2 put in as well.

Crafting stuff.

Quoteanyway I thought this thread was to be stuff you wanted to see not veiled complaints that have already been covered in official responses from staff members

The difference is you see a veiled complaint and I see a plead for change, evolution, and making ArmageddonMUD superior. :) (Which would be best left to another thread)

What do I want implemented from Arm 2? Cendi and those lizard-like cave dwellers. They sounded cool.

Those Lizard people sounded cool from those blog posts.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on July 15, 2012, 05:37:14 PM
Those Lizard people sounded cool from those blog posts.

I was just looking up their name to post that.  Beat me to it.

I would be really, really, really okay with them being introduced, even just as antagonist NPCs.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Killing all the elves and breeds in favor of the new Adevari. I was so looking forward to playing one of those guys.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Tons of stuff really! I had really got pretty excited about Arm 2.0...

The crafting system streamlined (everything being craftable).

New and interesting races and cultures (though if it's a question of what would you like to see implemented to Arm 1...then I would shoot for just one new race/culture - the underground one probably being the most viable, unless there's something over the silt sea etc)...

Would be great to have a new area to explore, with some form of civilisation attached to it...I'm totally bummed I never got to explore UnderTuluk before it got flooded...

Literacy opened up to the common classes. Included with a couple of guilds/subguilds to a degree, with limitations on languages etc and a slow learning curve past the initial language (linguist sub could do with something to make it worthwhile!).

There were really so many awesome ideas in there....
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Rhyden on July 15, 2012, 05:36:19 PM
Cendi and those lizard-like cave dwellers. They sounded cool.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 15, 2012, 05:50:05 PM
Killing all the elves and breeds in favor of the new Adevari. I was so looking forward to playing one of those guys.

There's no reason we can't still get a Cleansing War or two going. ^_~
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Nyr, you've got me all wrong. You see me all nitpicking and complaints. I see you all staff-hours and awesome. You plug it in like no one else. I'm not blind. That doesn't stop my passion for the game and where I'd like to see it headed. So I want a renaissance. What's to cry over.

No one can deny that a lot of gorgeous concepts and creativity went into Arm2. It wasn't a black hole. It's an abortion, but the sex was good. I'm startled to find you snarking back on what's only an open ended embrace toward what made armageddon great in the first place. A love for the creative process and a basis in storytelling. We're rooted in D&D, after all.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I for one am glad Arm 2 isn't going to happen. The mere idea that the new game world would have come out of the box as deep and richly written as this world currently is in only six months is sheer lunacy. If the staff managed to do in 6 months what has taken players and staff 20 years to accomplish then they are wasting their time and talent doing this for free. The current world is beautiful and deep, with many small items and details in its database which were slowly created over years and years. I don't even think a new code base is worth losing all that over.

That said, when i look at Tuluk i often think that someday literacy might be promoted there. It is something I think the player leadership can someday manage to accomplish actually since I've seen them accomplish so much more in hopes of winning the love of the people. I do think the game world would be richer if PCs with half decent jobs and positions would be taught to read and write. The books would need to be approved but at least finding out history and stories ICly wouldn't be a complete and total joke then. I think even with the current code base and apartment codes, putting in the code to support clans is very doable and may probably happen someday in the future. A couple of small compounds in each city state, five large to rent each month with up to ten people being able to rent it, with its own pc guards and boards, done. I think direction the code has been taken lately in this game is utterly amazing and i can't wait to see where the staff takes it next. Flee code killed me, and i couldn't be happier.

Again many of the coded ideas for Arm 2 are still very possible with this code base so the thing i wanted to see from arm 2 wasn't coded, it was lore wise:

I hate the all powerful sorcerer kings, and i wanted to see them gone. I hate the upper levels of powerful Templar too. I really want to see the all powerful upper level of virtual leadership in each city-state disappear. Not that I hate virtual leadership but i just wish they weren't all supernaturally powerful. Sadly getting rid of them, the dragon, and everything to do with ultra powerful sorcery ICly doesn't seem feasible.  Its funny because it doesn't and wouldn't effect the every day life of the PC very much regardless, but I  still personally feel the world would seem more open to possibilities, even if nothing really changes for you average everyday PC.