Author Topic: Making food thread  (Read 851 times)

Adj

Making food thread
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »
Not as in buying from the store but as in fermenting, growing, catching, or harvesting.

I bought some lentils and some large mason jars yesterday. I cut up an old tshirt and screwed the down over the opening with half a cup of bean, I rinsed it and let it sit in water over night, then I drained.

I am growing some bean sprouts. YUMMMMM. $0.20 a for a full quart mason jar of bean sprouts. I should make a HUGE batch if it is yummy and sell it at the Farmer's market for $1.25 a bag.

All I'm looking for now is some Kefir culture somewhere not online. And a good strain of Kombucha culture to make vinegar (since I'm allergic to apples and grapes).

What other yummy things do any of you make? Let's network!!!! :)

Marauder Moe

Re: Making food thread
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
I am notoriously bad with plants, but I'm trying to grow some herbs this year.  Also hoping my bhut jolokia plant will fruit this summer (it's a miracle that she's still alive, but I'm hoping all the hardship will just make her meaner and spicier).

My Thai basil is doing very well.  Chives... so-so.  I think my edible flower plant (forgot what it was called) is dead, though.

boog

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »
We are growing some cucumbers, tomatoes, and spinach in the garden this year. :) Hopefully come fall we'll be getting some broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce into the ground. :) Maybe some 'cool weather' varieties of cukes, zucchini, that sort of thing.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Booya

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:56 PM »
We're growing strawberries, wild and normal, though they're sort of finished now, carrots, lettuce, peas, courgette (zucchini), chives, parsley, nasturtiums (edible flowers and leaves), tarragon, rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, fennel,  tomatoes, apples (coxes and bramleys), plums, pears and raspberries! Oh, and my little boy grew some cress.

lordcooper

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:26:39 PM »
ewww... Tarragon

That that fucking back.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Yam

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:29:43 PM »
That that thating that.

boog

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
We're growing strawberries, wild and normal, though they're sort of finished now, carrots, lettuce, peas, courgette (zucchini), chives, parsley, nasturtiums (edible flowers and leaves), tarragon, rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, fennel,  tomatoes, apples (coxes and bramleys), plums, pears and raspberries! Oh, and my little boy grew some cress.

I envy yooou. We are growing so little because we have to drive out to my mom's (30 minutes roundtrip) in order to dig in the earth! We've tried container gardening, but these little fuckhead kids out here always knock over ANYTHING we plant. Hopefully we can find a house next year with a yard. Shit, I'd take a one room shanty on a big ol' parcel of land, even with 2 gross boys and 1 impending unknown.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.