Author Topic: Exceptions to Race, persona, background rule - Snowflake or REAL?  (Read 28678 times)

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
Re: Exceptions to Race, persona, background rule - Snowflake or REAL?
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
I hope this discussion will lead to less male dwarves hitting on human women.  :-\ I've always felt the stigma of mul breeding should do a much better job of discourageing such behavior.

They do this?   :o

Sadly, yes. Multiple times with multiple PCs. The last one I remember got all pissy when my human female showed no interest, too. And sang a little song about making muls. ???

Kalai

• Lambent Logic
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »
There are some absolutely insane dwarves out there, Akaramu. If you suspect their focus is to kill as many humans through consensual sex as possible it might be a good time to inform the local authorities. Stumps're up to no good.

(The *fun* of having odd folk out, when it's an IC sort of odd is more excuses to practice hatred and bring the world to bitter life.)

Harmless

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »
People don't want to call out exceptions and antagonize them cause they don't want to get killed or hurt or get a bad reputation, even if the exception they want to target is truly doing something ridiculous.

Right, here's something that really hurts the situation of trying to enforce the docs on the IC, player-side of things.

The exception you want to attack for his exception has friends. Or even, A friend. Game over man, game over. You might have friends too, but not online reliably at the same time, etc.etc.... damn, that elf who has like two human friends really seems like a powergamer, and he's online all the time. Add to that his stealing and his permahide... f*** me, I'm just gonna let it slide this time. And that time. And all the next 1000 times I see this guy hanging out in my favorite tavern.

Yeesh. What a nightmare. It's like high school with cliques all over again.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:38:28 PM by Harmless »
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

palomar

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 06:26:54 AM »
People don't want to call out exceptions and antagonize them cause they don't want to get killed or hurt or get a bad reputation, even if the exception they want to target is truly doing something ridiculous.

Right, here's something that really hurts the situation of trying to enforce the docs on the IC, player-side of things.

The exception you want to attack for his exception has friends. Or even, A friend. Game over man, game over. You might have friends too, but not online reliably at the same time, etc.etc.... damn, that elf who has like two human friends really seems like a powergamer, and he's online all the time. Add to that his stealing and his permahide... f*** me, I'm just gonna let it slide this time. And that time. And all the next 1000 times I see this guy hanging out in my favorite tavern.

Yeesh. What a nightmare. It's like high school with cliques all over again.

Make new, more reliable friends who are better than Exception's friends. Or let someone else who might care know. Perhaps they are in a position to do something.

It's not an impossible or nightmarish situation.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »
You can always report gross exceptions to the powers that be if you don't want to deal with them yourself.

Chances are, your friendly neighborhood templar is bored.

Morrolan

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 11:45:58 AM »
templar is bored

Sometimes, there is no one better at getting things done than a public official who is properly appreciated.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

hatchets

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
I hope this discussion will lead to less male dwarves hitting on human women.  :-\ I've always felt the stigma of mul breeding should do a much better job of discourageing such behavior.

They do this?   :o

Sadly, yes. Multiple times with multiple PCs. The last one I remember got all pissy when my human female showed no interest, too. And sang a little song about making muls. ???

Can't get her mouth pregnant heh heh heh
Life sucks, then you die.

MeTekillot

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
Male dwarves should not seriously hit on human females unless their focus is to make a mul or to specifically have sex with everything in the Known or they are otherwise stupid
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2012, 05:57:40 PM »
Male dwarves should not seriously hit on human females unless their focus is to make a mul or to specifically have sex with everything in the Known or they are otherwise stupid

You don't have to be attracted to someone to flatter them.

Iiyola

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »
I hope this discussion will lead to less male dwarves hitting on human women.  :-\ I've always felt the stigma of mul breeding should do a much better job of discourageing such behavior.

They do this?   :o

Sadly, yes. Multiple times with multiple PCs. The last one I remember got all pissy when my human female showed no interest, too. And sang a little song about making muls. ???

omg ew ew ew
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Maso

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
It would be nice if some of the documented opinions of some 'social groups' of other 'social groups' were not all just hate. Like a bit of intimidated fear, or sexual desire...or admiration. But everyone just hates everyone else.

Like...what if half-elves were terrified of elves...but also adored them and worshipped them...and would basically do anything an elf asked them to do. Over and above the influence of whatever city state.

And what if dwarven men were insanely attracted to humans (something to do with them being descended from the slaves of humans)....but this wasn't reciprocated. And dwarven women knew it...and hated human women for it. Because it threatened their ability to find a mate with whom to reproduce.

These are pretty lame ideas...but sometimes I just feel like...why's it all about hate?
emote pees into your eyes deeply

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Feco

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »
I hope this discussion will lead to less male dwarves hitting on human women.  :-\ I've always felt the stigma of mul breeding should do a much better job of discourageing such behavior.

They do this?   :o

Sadly, yes. Multiple times with multiple PCs. The last one I remember got all pissy when my human female showed no interest, too. And sang a little song about making muls. ???

Such a dwarven laugh.

Oh shit, are we to the "dwarf players" section of the hate cycle now?
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

BadSkeelz

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
I hope not. I haven't been able to make my dwarf PC yet who attempts to mastercraft all the weird shit my Dwarf Fortress strange moods produce. Focus: Listen to the Voices.

Don't leave me out. :(
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Patuk

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »
It would be nice if some of the documented opinions of some 'social groups' of other 'social groups' were not all just hate. Like a bit of intimidated fear, or sexual desire...or admiration. But everyone just hates everyone else.

Like...what if half-elves were terrified of elves...but also adored them and worshipped them...and would basically do anything an elf asked them to do. Over and above the influence of whatever city state.

And what if dwarven men were insanely attracted to humans (something to do with them being descended from the slaves of humans)....but this wasn't reciprocated. And dwarven women knew it...and hated human women for it. Because it threatened their ability to find a mate with whom to reproduce.

These are pretty lame ideas...but sometimes I just feel like...why's it all about hate?

In my eyes.. The problem is mainly that such forms of adoration will inevitably end up in people getting abused to the point where it's not even fun anymore. Also.. It's not -just- hate; hate really is a bad way of describing relations between anything. People don't hate dwarves, they think they're either silly or perhaps annoying, but it's very rare for them to be hated; people don't hate half-giants, they just think they're stupid and silly and only really useful for their dumb muscle. I'd even go so far so as to say that people don't even hate elves, they just distrust them awfully heavily. But hate? Hate is a very, very extreme word, and something that is only applicable when we're talking about how particularly patriotic people might feel towards the other city, or how some people might feel about the Gemmed.  Basically.. Prejudiced/not getting along with =/= hate.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

AmandaGreathouse

• Inspiration on Tap:
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
It's pretty easy to hate elves. I mean, if you don't enjoy being ripped off and subjected to an ever-increasingly risky relationship due to testing and such, even if you do get closer to them. If they're rp'ed according to the docs, of course.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Cind

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »

Those are pretty cool ideas. I like the whole catfight thing between dwarven and human women thing. I never got that creative with my tribals. It was usually just some variant of tolerance, intolerance or even reverence of different types of 'gickers or something.

I did have like three half-elves who deeply wished more than anything to be a real elf/human and acted the part. I have to assume other half-elf players have also done this.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Morrolan

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »

Wow. Just wow. I am impressed.

Not am favorably impressed.

But you have definitely left an impression.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »

Wow. Just wow. I am impressed.

Not am favorably impressed.

But you have definitely left an impression.

Hahaahhaha. How did I miss this the first time through.