Armageddon 2 Cancelled - discussion thread

Started by Adhira, May 15, 2012, 10:08:10 PM

With much respect for the writers and designers who worked on building for Arm 2...I'm very attached to our current gameworld and glad that we're going to keep it.

The new codebase is what I was excited about.  I do fear that it was maybe the limiting factor in getting Arm 2 rolling and that a lot of man-years worth of work might still be left on it.  But I guess that's okay.  There's no special hurry.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Awww, I felt that burn all the way over here!

It's up to staff, innit? I don't particularly care one way or the other, but I never really liked kanks anyway.

The point, however: kanks died out. Worldwide. Even in those "pockets" (aka waterslideland). It would be a little weird to do a "oh hey, some of them survived" retcon after all this time. I never said it was impossible, I said it would be awkward.

Go dose a valium, dude... and be happy that we get to keep our badass, history-rich, so-messy-it's-beautiful Armageddon after all.

i was pretty excited about the prospect of exploring a new game-world when 2.arm was announced several years ago. as of about an hour ago, i guess i kinda figured it was never going to happen.

pretty okay with it being cancelled, though i think it's a shame that so much effort went into it. i would hope it hasn't all been wasted effort, and that we'll be able to use some of the stuff that was built.

big appreciation to the ladies and gentlemen in the coding arena for keeping the idea of a new base alive.

Soap operas, comic books, etc. bring back dead characters all the time. I don't think it would be awkward.

So if Arm 2 is not coming (for now), does that mean we can lose the pretence of peace between the major powers and get back at each others' throats again?
Rickey's Law: People don't want "A story". They want their story.

Quote from: Jdr on May 15, 2012, 11:21:21 PM
So if Arm 2 is not coming (for now), does that mean we can lose the pretence of peace between the major powers and get back at each others' throats again?
+1

Beginning play after the Arm 2 announcements, I've always secretly hoped we'd stick with what we have. I really enjoy it. :)

Now we just need to kill off the mantis for good and we'll be un-sueable!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

With this recent turn of events, would it so far-fetched to presume that Staff are going to start taking more of an active role in shaping the world?

I know it's all player-driven focus and what-not but a little push from Staff, to get the ball rolling, does wonders. Probably not the place for this but since we're going to continue on with the same world/game/races; it'd be a little relieving to know there are going to still be in-game changes that may or may not affect the whole of the Known's populace.

I liked the stuff between the Kryl and the Mantis and was kind've disappointed to see it all simmer out.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Case on May 15, 2012, 11:21:57 PM
Beginning play after the Arm 2 announcements, I've always secretly hoped we'd stick with what we have. I really enjoy it. :)

My feelings are similar. I'm only into my second month of Arm, and while I'm not quite so arrogant to think my current PC could live all the way to Armageddon 2's rolling out, my feelings of having to learn a whole new game world were pretty ambivalent. I hope the coders' hard work can be put to good use, but I'd really much rather see this game world keep growing strong than having to shift gears.

What makes you think it ever stopped?

As for kanks... I'm glad they're gone.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

We're not changing our staffing methods.  We will be continuing on as we have been.  If you've been playing the game and haven't noticed staff involvement in the player originated plots and other things that have been going on then you might want to take a long around and get yourself involved.  
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

And you thought you could kill off dwarves! I knew they'd find a way.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on May 15, 2012, 11:47:58 PM
And you thought you could kill off dwarves! I knew they'd find a way.

Time for a dwarven uprising.. wait does that fit my focus?
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: FightClub on May 15, 2012, 10:59:41 PM
I'm glad you all decided to make a lot of your base rage quit with the two year prior announcement, then decided to cancel that six years later. Good decision.

This.

Quote from: musashi on May 15, 2012, 11:28:27 PM

Don't forget muls...
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

yay! no more "that is better for arma 2.0" bullshit comments awesome!
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

Quote from: Clearsighted on May 15, 2012, 11:55:52 PM
I'm glad you all decided to make a lot of your base rage quit with the two year prior announcement, then decided to cancel that six years later. Good decision.

This.

If they were going to ragequit over the game ending sometime in a few years instead of enjoying it while they could, they would've probably ragequit over something else silly anyway. *shrug*

Quote from: A Large Bag on May 15, 2012, 11:57:42 PM
Quote from: Clearsighted on May 15, 2012, 11:55:52 PM

This.

If they were going to ragequit over, the game will be ending sometime in a few years, they would've probably ragequit over something else silly anyway. *shrug*

Rage quit is probably the wrong word. More of an apathy quit. At least it was in my case.

When I did return for a short spell, I felt a lot of apathy from the staff, especially in 2008-2010 where everything was just 'coasting'. I haven't played in two years so I don't know how it's been lately. Seems more of the same.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on May 15, 2012, 11:56:28 PM
Quote from: musashi on May 15, 2012, 11:28:27 PM

Don't forget muls...

And hairless dwarves with foci, extremely tall elves that try to cheat everyone, elementalists, defilers/preservers, sorceror-kings, The Way of the Mind, rarity of metal, and probably a hundred other things Dark Sun.

As for getting rid of muls and mantis, I do believe that it was posted years ago that the trouble with the dark sun creators turned out not to be an issue after all, or died out. Though Kanks had begun their adios plot already. So I don;t believe there's any need to get rid of more races or critters from the game.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I say we all participate in a time jump rpt to right before kanks died.

This is how it starts.

Stepping out of a shimmering portal, a bronze skinned dwarf says in sirihish:
   'Come wit me if ju want to live.'

Everyone in the past thinks we're crazy and need to be hunted down.

Quote from: Winterless on May 15, 2012, 11:21:48 PM
+1

+1

I miss (and hear from others that they miss) the large staff driven conflicts such as wars between the north and south. Player driven plots are well and good, but players can't drive something like the copper wars.