Armageddon 2 Cancelled - discussion thread

Started by Adhira, May 15, 2012, 10:08:10 PM

Please use this thread to discuss the staff announcement re: Arm 2.

Please keep the conversation civil.  This is not a thread to post complaints, if you have concerns or complaints please direct those to staff via the request tool. If you have questions please post them here and Producers and Admin will endeavour to answer these as best we can.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Meh, was hoping to keep this game around and see more work done on it anyway. Feelings not hurt at all. Thanks for letting us know! Yippee!

Glad to hear the code advancements will go to good use.

I'm also glad to hear the copyright worries with regards to Dark Sun are over.

Does this mean previous end of the world events might be somehow retconned in the undefined future? Like a hidden pocket of halflings?

And does it mean the limit on builders has been lifted, potentially expanding the game world?
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Yes, would like to see halflings and kanks returned to the world somehow and some of the existing things fixed up more. Brew, etc.

I have no doubt awesomeness lies ahead for all involved.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I like the current game so this is good to me, but I have to wonder what will be done with all that was generated during the writing process: race ideas, city concepts, player- and staff-written rooms and items, etc. Will at least some of this stuff be modified and put to use in-game any way? Or is everything like that going to be scrapped?

That said, I look forward to seeing how things go with more focus on this game.

Hmm.. Don't know how I feel about it, I was looking forward to a fresh new game..

I hope it at least means that Staff will be a lot more involved in plots instead of letting the players come up with them.

Otherwise, yeah.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

To me Arm kinda feels like a new game compared to back when 2.arm was first announced.

I don't really imagine this will change anything to do with Arm, like some of you are suggesting. I'm ambivalent.

However, I told you so.

One day someone will find a valley to a new land that new land and our land will go to war. it shall be awesome.

Calling it now.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

The staff that are working on Armageddon 1, or the 'game', have never been working on the other project.  You will not be seeing a sudden drastic change in output of staff etc as every storyteller working on the game has had this game as their sole focus.  Some producer and admin time has been spent on Arm 2 but in the last couple of years it has been minimal, at best.

As far as drastic changes to this game - you won't be seeing that in the immediate future, either.   As stated in the announcement we will be using the copious amount of information and proposals we have for Arm Reborn as well as the work that has been done on building items, npcs etc as a database for this game.  It's entirely possible that you will eventually see some of the things we'd been working on for that game introduced to this one.

We are still bound within the constraints of our heavily modified Diku code.  This allows us to do a lot of things, but there are many things that we would prefer done otherwise that just can't be done, or that the overhead in turns or work vs reward means that we will not be doing them.  Code projects fall in to their own special niche of requiring the manpower of a very limited team to want to work on them.

Plotwise nothing is going to be retconned. It is business as usual. Kanks will not be returning as they are part of the Dark Sun universe etc.

This has not changed how the game is run.  Plots will still be player focused, a lot of things will still be done via the request tool, and so on.

Really we just want to be straight up with everyone and say Arm Reborn with a new game world isn't going to happen.  We hope you're enjoying the game and game world as it is now because that is how it is going to be continuing on for the forseeable future.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Adhira on May 15, 2012, 10:36:53 PM
Plotwise nothing is going to be retconned. It is business as usual. Kanks will not be returning as they are part of the Dark Sun universe etc.

This has not changed how the game is run.  Plots will still be player focused, a lot of things will still be done via the request tool, and so on.

Really we just want to be straight up with everyone and say Arm Reborn with a new game world isn't going to happen.  We hope you're enjoying the game and game world as it is now because that is how it is going to be continuing on for the forseeable future.

Alright, thanks for your honesty, Adhira.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

D'aw, I had been really looking forward to a 'new' game and a clean slate feel.  Plus I thought a lot of the ideas for the new game were shiny.  But I'm glad that there's closure on it and at least it doesn't sound like all the work will go to waste!
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

May 15, 2012, 10:46:38 PM #16 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:48:18 PM by mansa
I felt, paranoid as I can be, felt that the projects I wanted to see accomplish in Armageddon 1 was being slowed down or denied because of the idea that any change I make wouldn't leave a lasting mark...

Wasted energy on a subject that would be destroyed or forgotten once the new game went live.

With this announcement, it makes me happy.  I feel like the energy I can put into an idea I had may actually come into the game at one point.  Its like the only denial of my idea can be for the idea's sake, (with it being a teerible idea within the game world) rather than a rejection for time and energy spent on an idea that would only benefit players for 6 months or less.

I feel like a weight has been lifted.  There is no hanging "world destruction" that will cause a ruckus to my game play.   I no longer feel the need to make a character who's sole goal in life is to outlive a world-changing event in order to "win" the game.

I feel like I can be creative again.  You breathed life into me.  Thanks!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'm glad you all decided to make a lot of your base rage quit with the two year prior announcement, then decided to cancel that six years later. Good decision.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I'm pretty ambivalent about this.  Do you mind sharing the reason/s it's been cancelled?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

QuoteKanks will not be returning as they are part of the Dark Sun universe etc.

So does that mean more of the Dark Sun parts are going to be stripped out of this game? If not, then why are those particular things not making a comeback? What is the other reason besides them being part of Dark Sun considering that a majority of the game as is comes from Dark Sun.

Maybe because it's already a part of the storyline and retconning it would be kind of awkward?

I'm happy. I love our current game world  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

May 15, 2012, 11:05:08 PM #23 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:07:45 PM by A Large Bag
QuoteMaybe because it's already a part of the storyline and retconning it would be kind of awkward?

It would be very easy to explain them coming back slowly at first. Some kanks survived in a secluded location that the plague didn't reach. Since the rest died out, the plague to them died along with. Someone finds the rest and begins breeding them. A group of halflings survived and come back out of hiding elsewhere in the Grey and fight to take back their forest from the kryl. Etc. Neither of which is retconning anything. Not that hard at all with a little bit of imagination. Not something the players or staff of this game are in short supply of. Or at least most of us I guess.

This project has not been 'active' for the last couple of years, apart from the team working on the code base.  The primary drivers of the project are no longer part of the staffing team.  We made this decision based on the fact that our preference was to the existing game world, rather than bringing in a new game world that the majority of people working on the game have not been involved with.

We know this game, we know how to staff it, and we know how to keep it ticking over.